Vols Fall Practice #6

Love Coach G's comments. That man playing poker. He knows what he has and is getting ready to unleash he'll on our opponents
Coach G has always been notorious for giving constructive criticism in public absolutely 0 benefits from hyping his unit up week 2 of fall camp they need to stay hungry and keep grindingā€¦ but the culture and talent is set they are about to dominate teams this yearā€¦

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What HERRING ā€œprovedā€ wasnā€™t very encouraging. Depth that doesnā€™t stack up athletically isnā€™t GOOD depth.
Herring was a true sophomore. He could have developed both physically and mentally. Maybe not, but I like experienced depth. Those reps are valuable.

As athletic as Perry may be, Herring played ahead of him for two years. Solon Page was super athletic but was never a very good player. Athleticism isnā€™t everything.

Herring was a true sophomore. He could have developed both physically and mentally. Maybe not, but I like experienced depth. Those reps are valuable.

As athletic as Perry may be, Herring played ahead of him for two years. Solon Page was super athletic but was never a very good player. Athleticism isnā€™t everything.
I championed Eli for two seasonsā€¦didnā€™t really sweat losing Pili due to him. Proved myself wrong. Heā€™s limited and a step slow in reaction and skill at
this levelā€¦and a liability. Fitting example you mentioned. Solon Page was hella experiencedā€¦but we didnā€™t have the athletic talent behind him so we were forced to witness how much that experience translated. EXPERIENCE also isnā€™t everything.

I championed Eli for two seasonsā€¦didnā€™t really sweat losing Pili due to him. Proved myself wrong. Heā€™s limited and a step slow in reaction and skill at
this levelā€¦and a liability. Fitting example you mentioned. Solon Page was hella experiencedā€¦but we didnā€™t have the athletic talent behind him so we were forced to witness how much that experience translated. EXPERIENCE also isnā€™t everything.
Solon Page was not experienced. Dude never played. Herring had more starts, played in nearly as many games and almost had more tackles in one season than Page had in 5.

I get it. The OP was that opinion would be unpopular. Herring had struggles last year. I think his problems could equally have been from lack of experience as lack of athleticism. I would still rather have a dude with a year of starts in the room. It can make a huge difference.

It also may not. See most of our secondary last year.

Solon Page was not experienced. Dude never played. Herring had more starts, played in nearly as many games and almost had more tackles in one season than Page had in 5.

I get it. The OP was that opinion would be unpopular. Herring had struggles last year. I think his problems could equally have been from lack of experience as lack of athleticism. I would still rather have a dude with a year of starts in the room. It can make a huge difference.

It also may not. See most of our secondary last year.
Youā€™ve confused me. He struggled because he lacked experience but weā€™re going to be missing that experience? Telander has experience and most likely wonā€™t be startingā€¦I think thatā€™s a nice trade.

Youā€™ve confused me. He struggled because he lacked experience but weā€™re going to be missing that experience? Telander has experience and most likely wonā€™t be startingā€¦I think thatā€™s a nice trade.
Dude, cā€™mon.

Telander is what Herring was last year. A kid who played special teams and some garbage time.

Herring obviously struggled reading keys and reacting to the offense. The Mizzou game was particularly bad. But a lot of that is stuff that can be learned with reps.

Herring now has a year of starting snaps under his belt. He was one of our leading tacklers. That makes a difference and is valuable. Maybe he gets passed up by a more talented player, but when injuries happen, a guy with some experience is nice to have.

While I agree that experience may be helpful for the group at the beginning herring was limited athletically. No matter how hard he worked his lateral quickness wouldnā€™t improve enough to make a difference. Thatā€™s something you are born with. His experience may be missed but his caliber as a player will not be

Reactions: butchna
While I agree that experience may be helpful for the group at the beginning herring was limited athletically. No matter how hard he worked his lateral quickness wouldnā€™t improve enough to make a difference. Thatā€™s something you are born with. His experience may be missed but his caliber as a player will not be
The real issue was the staff giving him those snaps. That determined his future value. Iā€™m kinda torn on this one. His decision or the staff asking him to move on? Iā€™m guessing he got a better offer and moved on. We did kind of use him to grab Caleb. Really grateful Caleb seems happy.

Dude, cā€™mon.

Telander is what Herring was last year. A kid who played special teams and some garbage time.

Herring obviously struggled reading keys and reacting to the offense. The Mizzou game was particularly bad. But a lot of that is stuff that can be learned with reps.

Herring now has a year of starting snaps under his belt. He was one of our leading tacklers. That makes a difference and is valuable. Maybe he gets passed up by a more talented player, but when injuries happen, a guy with some experience is nice to have.
ā€œCā€™monā€ back atcha! Telander was a TRUE FRESHMAN playing at or above Herringā€™s level and taking most snaps by seasonā€™s end. Stands to reason heā€™s that much better for the EXPERIENCE and battling Carter for snaps beside Pili. Herring was looking at EXPERIENCING a lot of pine and being surpassed by Spillman also. Itā€™s nice to have guys whittling away their eligibility for a program where theyā€™re a last ditch optionā€¦but not terribly realistic. I have the same attitude I had towards Ray Raulerson, Emmitt Gooden, Greg Emerson and Darel Middleton (amongst others)ā€¦EASILY REPLACEABLE depth.

ā€œCā€™monā€ back atcha! Telander was a TRUE FRESHMAN playing at or above Herringā€™s level and taking most snaps by seasonā€™s end. Stands to reason heā€™s that much better for the EXPERIENCE and battling Carter for snaps beside Pili. Herring was looking at EXPERIENCING a lot of pine and being surpassed by Spillman also. Itā€™s nice to have guys whittling away their eligibility for a program where theyā€™re a last ditch optionā€¦but not terribly realistic. I have the same attitude I had towards Ray Raulerson, Emmitt Gooden, Greg Emerson and Darel Middleton (amongst others)ā€¦EASILY REPLACEABLE depth.
Not sure about easily but we had talent at that position pressing for snaps. Try to keep this centered and realistic. šŸ˜‰

Iā€™m guilty myselfā€¦ šŸ¤£

Easilyā€¦as in no effort.
Even granting the effort was there, not sure the athleticism existed to match. IMO, there was a conscious decision made to keep Caleb happy, giving Eli all the rope.

He actually did well.

VN Store

Back