Vols Fall Practice #6

This strikes me as odd since getting the full route timing with the break seems really important. Are we preserving knees? Is there something they don't like about the practice field? Are these guys dinged up? Any thoughts?

"Receivers Mike Matthews and Dont’e Thornton were in full pads and going through drills, but were limited at times. During routes on air, the duo began at the break and did not run the full route."

Right? This is insane...3rd string could start just about anywhere

LEO James Pearce Jr., DT Omari Thomas, DT Bryson Eason and DE Dominic Bailey.
LEO Joshua Josephs, DT Omarr Norman-Lott, DT Elijah Simmons and DE Tyre West.
LEO Caleb Herring, DT Jaxson Moi, DT Daevin Hobbs and DE Jayson Jenkins.
Everyone from the 1st and 2nd team will be gone next season save West and Joseph’s?
It’s good to know we have vets coming back and bringing in House, Utley, Dye, and SFA DT,
Plus add Ross, Lofoten, Robinson and other that I’m not thinking of.

Dude was only a sophomore playing big boy football. Maybe he could have improved, maybe not. But I think that experience would have been great to have for depth. As it is, a couple injuries and things will be looking pretty grim at LB.
I was about to give this a like, until that last part.

Pili, Carter, Thelander, J.Smith, Skillman, Perry ... not all that grim, I wouldn't say.

Last edited:
Everyone from the 1st and 2nd team will be gone next season save West and Joseph’s?
It’s good to know we have vets coming back and bringing in House, Utley, Dye, and SFA DT,
Plus add Ross, Lofoten, Robinson and other that I’m not thinking of.
Jenkins could also be a 3 tech next year. Tyree Weathersby will play a lot in 2025, if not start at SDE.

Jamal Wallace may be the other you're thinking of...I'm thinking/hoping he redshirts this year and gets big enough to play inside in 2025.

Right? This is insane...3rd string could start just about anywhere

LEO James Pearce Jr., DT Omari Thomas, DT Bryson Eason and DE Dominic Bailey.
LEO Joshua Josephs, DT Omarr Norman-Lott, DT Elijah Simmons and DE Tyre West.
LEO Caleb Herring, DT Jaxson Moi, DT Daevin Hobbs and DE Jayson Jenkins.
It's crazy! I think we are really 15 deep because they didn't mention Weathersby, Robinson or Ross who I think could all contribute.

So much experience there. Grown men. Simmons is a 6th year, Thomas, Lott, Eason and Bailey are all 5th year dudes. Only Hobbs and Herring aren't at least going into their 3rd year. All that experience being coached by Rodney Garner with James Pearce out there.

Then you got Pili's brain behind all that. Sky may not be the limit...

I was about to give this a like, until that last part.

Pili, Carter, Theilander, J.Smith, Skillman, Perry ...
None more of those guys have played significant snaps on defense for us. Pili is the one one who’s done so in college. There’s talent, but nothing proven and very little experience. It’s a recipe for busts, bad tackles and giving up big plays. Especially if Pili gets hurt again.

I hope the secondary figures it out. At this point there would be no doubt the problem is either DB cruiting or it’s development if they can’t.

None more of those guys have played significant snaps on defense for us. Pili is the one one who’s done so in college. There’s talent, but nothing proven and very little experience. It’s a recipe for busts, bad tackles and giving up big plays. Especially if Pili gets hurt again.
Herring would have also given up bad tackles and big plays. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to play sec linebacker affectively. There’s a reason he left in the spring. Because he knew he wasn’t gonna beat out pili or teleander at the Mike position

I guess I'm just old school but it aggravates the fire out of me to see linemen with low jersey numbers! I just think it looks goofy! Linemen numbers should be in the 60's, 70's, and 90's.

Reactions: VOLSanon
Try harder Ryan. "The drill forced running backs to make quick cuts. I was impressed with freshman Dylan Peyton Lewis who continues to intrigue me as much as any player on the roster". Peyton Lewis is a real Dude.

Nice to read: Freshman Mike Matthews was back in full uniform and running routes for the first time that we’ve seen in camp

Before anyone ask: The first three portions of practice were open to the media meaning we were able to watch only approximately 15 minutes of practices. For the final few minutes most of the offense moved outside and we were not allowed to go outside so not a ton of offensive notes today— especially with the quarterbacks and receivers.
Thanks for the clarification. I was checking the roster to see who this Dylan Lewis player was. lol

1. That 3 deep on the Dline looks really good.

2. I wish Sham would take that LG spot.

3. Unpopular opinion, but I think the LB room would look way better with Elijah Herring still in it.

4. Don’t think I knew they had refs at every practice. Have other staffs done that too?
He can’t cover unfortunately- that was truly a weakness of his

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Dude was only a sophomore playing big boy football. Maybe he could have improved, maybe not. But I think that experience would have been great to have for depth. As it is, a couple injuries and things will be looking pretty grim at LB.
Kalib Perry has beast level athleticism if properly coached up and Spillman ain’t waiting to be ready. I think Eli saw that writing and he wasn’t going to look good in the screenplay. Made a good decision for himself.

What HERRING “proved” wasn’t very encouraging. Depth that doesn’t stack up athletically isn’t GOOD depth.

VN Store

Back