Vols in MLB Update

With players from all Major League Baseball teams beginning to report to their spring training facilities down south, baseball fans are getting ready for the 2024 season. For Vol fans, it’s something a little extra special as many former Tennessee stars from the last two seasons have a chance to make their way to the big leagues this year.

As many Vol fans know, the 2022 baseball season was historic for many reasons. One such reason was the sheer number of players that were drafted to the MLB after that season. Tennessee sent 10 players to the pros. Of those players, and a few of the names drafted after the 2023 college baseball season, some have continued their incredible success through the minors, giving themselves a chance to make an Opening Day roster for the 2024 season. Among those names are outfielder Drew Gilbert and right-handed pitcher Chase Dollander.

Drew Gilbert impresses in the Minors

Drafted in the first round by the Houston Astros after the 2022 college season, Gilbert hit the ground running in the minor leagues.

In just 10 games in the minors following the 2022 draft, Gilbert slashed an impressive .313/.405/.531 with two home runs and just as many strikeouts. In his first full season in the minors last year, Gilbert kept his consistent hitting up at .289/.381/.487 while hitting 18 more home runs in 116 games.

In addition to jumping up a handful of levels in the minors in just over a year, Gilbert was also traded at the deadline during the 2023 season. Sharing the headline with future Hall of Famer, Justin Verlander, the Astros sent Gilbert and another prospect over to the New York Mets in return for their former ace. Now in the Mets farm system, Drew Gilbert earned himself an invite to major league spring training and will be playing for a spot on the Opening Day roster.

First year for Flamethrower Chase Dollander

Chase Dollander, who was drafted ninth overall by the Colorado Rockies after the Vols made it to the College World Series in 2023, is getting ready for his first full season in the minor leagues.

Although he is a year behind Gilbert in that regard, there is a possibility that he could see a big-league mound before the season is over. Having been considered one of the best pitchers in college baseball since his sophomore season in 2022, Dollander may reach his peak before long.

In addition, the Rockies have struggled for multiple seasons now and are in need of pitching help in the big leagues. Regardless, Vol fans are excited to see what he can do in the minor leagues, and are hopeful that he will pitch as he did for the Vols and earn his spot on a big league roster.

Other Vols to Watch

While Gilbert and Dollander may be some of the top Tennessee names in the MLB, there are others that are worth noting.

First, the former flamethrowing closer for the Vols, Ben Joyce, who was drafted in the third round by the Los Angeles Angels in 2022 made his major league debut on May 29, 2023.

Joyce had a bit of a rocky ride in the majors, posting a 5.40 ERA in 10 innings, but striking out 10. Although he landed on the 60-Day Injured List for some time, Joyce is now healthy and hopeful for this season.

Jordan Beck, a teammate of Ben Joyce, was drafted No. 38 overall by the Rockies in 2022. He, along with Gilbert and Dollander landed themselves on the MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects list and is looking to make the Opening Day roster for the Rockies. Beck was invited to major league spring training this year as well.

Finally, Jared Dickey, who was drafted in the 11th round by the Kansas City Royals after last season, has played well in his first year in the minors. Having slashed .330/.425/.453 in the minors, Dickey has impressive with the bat. While the power hasn’t been there for Dickey, he continues to make up for his lack of power with his incredible bat-to-ball skills and ability to get on base. While he may have a few more steps to take before he reaches the majors, he is still a name worth watching as he makes his way through the minors.

With players from all Major League Baseball teams beginning to report to their spring training facilities down south, baseball fans are getting ready for the 2024 season. For Vol fans, it’s something a little extra special as many former Tennessee stars from the last two seasons have a chance to make their way to the big leagues this year.

As many Vol fans know, the 2022 baseball season was historic for many reasons. One such reason was the sheer number of players that were drafted to the MLB after that season. Tennessee sent 10 players to the pros. Of those players, and a few of the names drafted after the 2023 college baseball season, some have continued their incredible success through the minors, giving themselves a chance to make an Opening Day roster for the 2024 season. Among those names are outfielder Drew Gilbert and right-handed pitcher Chase Dollander.

Drew Gilbert impresses in the Minors

Drafted in the first round by the Houston Astros after the 2022 college season, Gilbert hit the ground running in the minor leagues.

In just 10 games in the minors following the 2022 draft, Gilbert slashed an impressive .313/.405/.531 with two home runs and just as many strikeouts. In his first full season in the minors last year, Gilbert kept his consistent hitting up at .289/.381/.487 while hitting 18 more home runs in 116 games.

In addition to jumping up a handful of levels in the minors in just over a year, Gilbert was also traded at the deadline during the 2023 season. Sharing the headline with future Hall of Famer, Justin Verlander, the Astros sent Gilbert and another prospect over to the New York Mets in return for their former ace. Now in the Mets farm system, Drew Gilbert earned himself an invite to major league spring training and will be playing for a spot on the Opening Day roster.

First year for Flamethrower Chase Dollander

Chase Dollander, who was drafted ninth overall by the Colorado Rockies after the Vols made it to the College World Series in 2023, is getting ready for his first full season in the minor leagues.

Although he is a year behind Gilbert in that regard, there is a possibility that he could see a big-league mound before the season is over. Having been considered one of the best pitchers in college baseball since his sophomore season in 2022, Dollander may reach his peak before long.

In addition, the Rockies have struggled for multiple seasons now and are in need of pitching help in the big leagues. Regardless, Vol fans are excited to see what he can do in the minor leagues, and are hopeful that he will pitch as he did for the Vols and earn his spot on a big league roster.

Other Vols to Watch

While Gilbert and Dollander may be some of the top Tennessee names in the MLB, there are others that are worth noting.

First, the former flamethrowing closer for the Vols, Ben Joyce, who was drafted in the third round by the Los Angeles Angels in 2022 made his major league debut on May 29, 2023.

Joyce had a bit of a rocky ride in the majors, posting a 5.40 ERA in 10 innings, but striking out 10. Although he landed on the 60-Day Injured List for some time, Joyce is now healthy and hopeful for this season.

Jordan Beck, a teammate of Ben Joyce, was drafted No. 38 overall by the Rockies in 2022. He, along with Gilbert and Dollander landed themselves on the MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects list and is looking to make the Opening Day roster for the Rockies. Beck was invited to major league spring training this year as well.

Finally, Jared Dickey, who was drafted in the 11th round by the Kansas City Royals after last season, has played well in his first year in the minors. Having slashed .330/.425/.453 in the minors, Dickey has impressive with the bat. While the power hasn’t been there for Dickey, he continues to make up for his lack of power with his incredible bat-to-ball skills and ability to get on base. While he may have a few more steps to take before he reaches the majors, he is still a name worth watching as he makes his way through the minors.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Joyce wasn't a closer for the Vols...it was Red & Kirby. Not so sure I'd say Joyce had a "rocky ride" in the MLB either. He had 12 outings and in 10 of the 12 he allowed 0 runs and he logged 4 holds. It's that last game of the year against Oakland that skewed his #'s, otherwise he's around a 2.00 era give or take with a great Whip.

Still wondering why Dollander didn't get a Spring Training invite, anyone have some input there? I can understand them not pitching him last year following the long college season, but since then....it's been quiet. Any input is appreciated.

I do believe Beck and Gilbert are on the cusp of making it. Any word on Blade Tidwell? His #'s last year were good. Wonder how he's progressing.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
No but thanks for asking. That's up in the panhandle. You could drive from Memphis to Mountain City faster than it would take me to get there.

Welp, I don’t know where you are exactly and I dang sure don’t know where Mtn. City is.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Ah, I gotcha. I’m glad you ain’t in that business, looks bad.
Worst wildfire ever recorded in Texas history. Well over a million acres burned so far. It's been akin to a perfect storm weather wise.... Dry and windy with dry dormant vegetation. Fortunately, that area is sparcely populated. I hate it for the people that are affected but relieved it's not more.

Worst wildfire ever recorded in Texas history. Well over a million acres burned so far. It's been akin to a perfect storm weather wise.... Dry and windy with dry dormant vegitation. Fortunately, that area is sparcely populated. I hate it for the people that are affected but relieved it's not more.

Geesh! I’ve only driven them parts once, pretty country, very sorry man.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo

VN Store

Back