Vols Practice Thread Tuesday

I’m not hating but i don’t think JG should even be considered to start with a baseball glove wrapped to his hand

Forgot the nature of the injury Erik Ainge incurred in his junior season, but he had a devil of a time taking the snap under center and it can’t be easier trying to secure it out of the shotgun.

And got hooked on the pain meds, a devil of a different kind all together.

Reactions: vols40
So is CJP getting ready for a Jennings vs Bowden showdown in Lexington?

Coaches letting JG take snaps certainly seems they want he and the other receivers get comfortable with each other, likely particularly with some timing routes. Wildcat just not effective without a real threat of the pass and after his first carry against SC the wildcat never broke again for more than 3-4 yards. JJ is hard to bring down but he is not a Bowden, quick enough to hit a hole, or out quick the edge protector, and out run the 2nd and 3rd levels. Maurer also brings the ability to run effectively to the QB position but with more speed. Although, I would much prefer he NOT run until he learns how to fall.

But I suspect it will be Maurer and/or Shrout, or vice versa, and some of JG if he can go, the rest of the way barring injury. I prefer JJ lining up in the slot or outside rather than QB. I like him in some special situations at QB, but he has limitations. I would limit JJ at the QB position unless it really becomes a necessity.

I’d say more like Hines Ward.
Hines is a good one but he didn’t break tackles quite like Dez or Jennings imo. Hines was more known for blind side, knock out blocking. Better keep your head on a swivel kind of blocks. Not that he wasn’t a good receiver as well. But Dez and Jennings seem to be better known for breaking tackles and the strength at the point of attack. That’s why I say Dez. But I can see your point as well.

I know Pruitt said that JG had the surgery and would be ready to go, but that wrist is held together by a screw so it’s going to be compromised. Forgot the nature of the injury Erik Ainge incurred in his junior season, but he had a devil of a time taking the snap under center and it can’t be easier trying to secure it out of the shotgun.
Ange had a broken right Pinky. That's why he couldn't throw more than five yards until the bowl game.

I’m not hating but i don’t think JG should even be considered to start with a baseball glove wrapped to his hand
I doubt he will start, but we may need him given the injury status of the QBs. He has done much better coming off the bench for some reason. Hopefully he comes off the bench only for mop up duty this week.

I have the feeling JG will be held out to heal and BM and JTS will take over the show. But, let UAB waste time with plays designed for JG. Or, is that too much?

VN Store

Back