'24 Vols Transfer Offers

Idk I’m not the coach. I personally don’t see why we need to use the portal for “bridge” players

Portal = immediate impact
HS = Develop the kids till they are ready.

On top of that his offer list is mediocre as heck. I hope he takes the Houston offer and runs with it. Kids from TX so hopefully he stays instate
I agree. I think there are gonna be some really good OL in the portal once it officially opens.

Do we really have the spots available for a depth piece? We are already 2 less scholarships because of the Gump. I would think our scholarships should come at a premium. We need good quality OL who can help immediately. Not backups that may never contribute.
Depth is important on the OL. You could probably name the number of teams that have been able to start the same group on one hand. And depth is the difference between 8-9 wins and the bottom falling out.

If we send 3-4 OL to the portal we need that same number back with how our scholarship distribution will look like on the OL

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
Do we really have the spots available for a depth piece? We are already 2 less scholarships because of the Gump. I would think our scholarships should come at a premium. We need good quality OL who can help immediately. Not backups that may never contribute.
Depth is important on the OL. You could probably name the number of teams that have been able to start the same group on one hand. And depth is the difference between 8-9 wins and the bottom falling out.

If we send 3-4 OL to the portal we need that same number back with how our scholarship distribution will look like on the OL

I just feel like we should be able to get guys better than the TAMU guy. He is very below average.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I just feel like we should be able to get guys better than the TAMU guy. He is very below average.
There’s probably 30ish P5 level starters in the entire portal, if we’re taking a few in the portal they aren’t all going to be sure things. He might be below average but if he’s better than the Mo Clippers of the world he’s a net positive.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
There’s probably 30ish P5 level starters in the entire portal, if we’re taking a few in the portal they aren’t all going to be sure things. He might be below average but if he’s better than the Mo Clippers of the world he’s a net positive.

You see how bad that sounds, right? Especially the underline part.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You see how bad that sounds, right? Especially the underline part.

If he’s all we get from the portal yes. But the roster is not just about starters. Even if Mays/Spraggins/Campbell come back we have a gap between them and the promising freshman/RS FR. And the OL is a position where some level of attrition is bound happen during the season.

All I’m saying is trying to fill that bridge with some depth pieces is understandable. In 2 years this type of transfer is more concerning, but for developmental positions like OL this is where the sanctions hurt the most because this is when you normally expect those 20/21 class players to contribute or at least have a decent floor

We don't need depth, we have like 18 Oline already on the team. A portal kid need to be a bonfida starter and/or impact player.

We need to develop the guys on the roster. I'm starting to think we either have bad evals or poor development in regard to our Offense Line. Hope I'm wrong and definitely hope it's not both.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Y’all fight it out. I just don’t ever want to look down again and realize that Davis/ Lane and Lampley are on the same line together. I know they can’t because of grad but you catch my drift. I may be in the minority but I thought that Nichols looked like he is making progress.

Y’all fight it out. I just don’t ever want to look down again and realize that Davis/ Lane and Lampley are on the same line together. I know they can’t because of grad but you catch my drift. I may be in the minority but I thought that Nichols looked like he is making progress.
Agreed. I know it's a small sample size and against Candy but I thought Nichols played well. He couldn't be any worse than Ollie or Karic and both of them had backup level play this year.

We don't need depth, we have like 18 Oline already on the team. A portal kid need to be a bonfida starter and/or impact player.

We need to develop the guys on the roster. I'm starting to think we either have bad evals or poor development in regard to our Offense Line. Hope I'm wrong and definitely hope it's not both.
The players that would be RS So/Jrs next year would be from Heupels first class. With all the issues we had then it’s not a surprise that there were misses/reaches that didn’t pan out.

If the coaches process 3-4 OL out the fact is unrealistic to bring in %10 of the entire pool of P5 starter level quality, so we need depth to bridge until the recent classes of OL talent is ready to play

I agree. I think there are gonna be some really good OL in the portal once it officially opens.
And that's my hope. Yesterday, I envied DBs who played press and defenses that were real and sure tacklers. QB play was also impressive by several. WR's finding spots and making catches. Really everything that I hope to see from UT again sooner rather than later, but one thing really struck me watching the games yesterday. The quality of our linemen needs to be upgraded big time. That's where the great teams separate themselves from everyone else. The lines of scrimmage on display during the bama and uga game really caught my eye. Sayin' it again...we need line help and a lot of it.

Although no offer tweets have gone out for these individuals… I have it on good authority we offered Justin Joly, and I believe we also offered the Texas Tech tackle thst just went in yesterday as well as Alex Herron.
Those are better. We’re starting to get it right. Baby steps.

Reactions: HoleInTheRoof
Although no offer tweets have gone out for these individuals… I have it on good authority we offered Justin Joly, and I believe we also offered the Texas Tech tackle thst just went in yesterday as well as Alex Herron.
Lol @ good authority. Prove it or gtfo with that crap

Wait do you mean, Monroe? As the Texas Tech guy? If so, him and Joly are big time offers.

I can’t find Alex Herron. I found Alan Herron from Shorter lol

You’re not alone. Message boards breed mutants who think that a redshirt freshman who doesn’t beat out a 6th year player doesn’t deserve a scholarship. Damn video games!

VN Store

Back