Vols vs Austin Peay: Offense (video)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGfiTGfUxIQ[/youtube]

I always enjoy watching video and looking at formations and tendencies. For those who like to do the same, here is a 13-minute video with just the Vols' offensive plays.

Post your thoughts and analysis in this thread.

How many different offensive formations do you count?

Reactions: 11 people
That looks better than the ESPN stream I watcher last night. Thanks!

This is great Freak! Could you put together a defensive compilation as well?

Could u imagine what a qb wih some wheels could do in this offense?

Peterman stares down every receiver, every time.

Both QB's misread the read option several times costing what looked like could be big plays.

Our second string OL has some serious work to do.

Worley was good, but needs to work on leading his receivers better. The few in-completions by him were because the balls were behind.

The WR's made some really good adjustments to the ball in the air and made some really nice grabs. The one catch by Paul Harris from Peterman was amazing due to the fact that he had to turn his whole body and make and awkward reach with arms fully extended.

The first team OL and all of our WR's impressed me.

Something I LOVED... Watch the WR's on running plays. They were getting after it like wild animals blocking out there. Neals first TD was set up by a HUGE block by Croom.

Marlin Lane did a great job getting north and south with the ball.

Rajion Neal had a great game obviously, but there were a few times he decided to run laterally and either lost his balance or got shoestring tackled.

Woody Quinn was getting pushed around by a guy 50 pounds his lighter almost every play he was in.

As far as that read option... Several times the back side DE that goes unblocked in that scheme almost made a play on the RB/QB in the backfield. That's against the talent that AP fields. I'm concerned that SEC caliber DE's with much better speed are going eat that play up.

The TE position is a concern for me. I don't see a legitimate pass catching threat out of the guys I saw play yesterday. Downs can do some things, but he isn't exactly overwhelming.

Despite the large variety of formations, I think the play calling was very vanilla.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Could u imagine what a qb wih some wheels could do in this offense?

Exactly my thoughts. My mind immediately went to Dobbs. After watching that, the offense looked better than the stats indicated imo. Thanks so much, Freak - from those of us who couldn't be there.

One concern - Worley still has that wind up. Wonder if this will catch up to him at some point. That said, he looked in command of the O

Some thoughts:

1) I thought Worley played really well. Most of his timing issues seemed to be focused on North - everyone else it seemed like he had a decent feel for.

2) Lots of vanilla in the playcalling, which is what I'd expect - especially true in 2nd half.

3) I'm a little concerned on how often an AP defender almost tackled our runners for a loss. Not sure what would happen when our opponents have SEC speed on defense.

4) Neal is definitely the best back in my eyes. Lane isn't bad though. If Summerhill did his dance and prance vs. UGA/USCe/LSU/Bama he'd hand us a loss every time. Funny how all his dancing got us to the same place a lot of Neal runs would have but with a lot more risk.

Both QB's misread the read option several times costing what looked like could be big plays.

Worley was good, but needs to work on leading his receivers better. The few in-completions by him were because the balls were behind.

The WR's made some really good adjustments to the ball in the air and made some really nice grabs. The one catch by Paul Harris from Peterman was amazing due to the fact that he had to turn his whole body and make and awkward reach with arms fully extended.

Something I LOVED... Watch the WR's on running plays. They were getting after it like wild animals blocking out there. Neals first TD was set up by a HUGE block by Croom.

Rajion Neal had a great game obviously, but there were a few times he decided to run laterally and either lost his balance or got shoestring tackled.

Woody Quinn was getting pushed around by a guy 50 pounds his lighter almost every play he was in.

As far as that read option... Several times the back side DE that goes unblocked in that scheme almost made a play on the RB/QB in the backfield. That's against the talent that AP fields. I'm concerned that SEC caliber DE's with much better speed are going eat that play up.

The TE position is a concern for me. I don't see a legitimate pass catching threat out of the guys I saw play yesterday. Downs can do some things, but he isn't exactly overwhelming.

Despite the large variety of formations, I think the play calling was very vanilla.
Well thought-out post. Thanks.

Reactions: 3 people
My understanding that not all of the read option looking plays were options. Some of the time, maybe most of the time, they were supposed to hand off regardless.

Neal did a great job period. He made one bad read on that screen play where he could have gotten more yardage. His attempts to flatten out and extend runs worked sometimes but not others.

WR's did an excellent job of blocking.

Playcalling on both sides of the line was vanilla for sure. However the discipline and execution were nice to see... first time since Cut left for Duke.

I still can't get over the fact that we had 0 penalties in the first game of the year in a new system on both sides of the ball and freshmen everywhere. Just incredible.

Reactions: 9 people

:salute:
Worley: either he has Matt sims issue of holding the ball too long or he just has a weak arm? Every throw was under thrown.

Spot on imo

I think another huge point people are missing is the fact Worley was just picked up as the starter a week ago. Sure he's had a lot of practice over the spring and summer with the 1s, but as the decision was being made for the starter, they were still switching all the QBs around. It's possible, more likely absolutely there are still timing issues that will be worked out this week since he hasn't been working with them exclusively for that long.

Other than that, the O line needs to work on the goal line offense and opening holes for the running backs. Plenty of opportunities to pound the ball through when they were within the 5 that didn't happen. Against an opponent like APSU, we eventually got the 6, but against an SEC opponent, we'll probably be looking at a FG attempt.

RB staff was outstanding. I can see Neal or Marlin or maybe even both getting thousand yard seasons if they stay healthy. You have to have a strong running game in the SEC and we're on our way when combined with the OL. Summerhill needs some work, but overall not a bad performance.

Decent balance of attack options. Run, throw, QB run. Worley needs to be careful heading down field to block as he can and will get bulldozed by one of the power linebackers out there.

Peterman...I'll attribute to nerves. First college game. Working with the second string. Freshman QB. Coming in to fill the leader role from a resounding first half. Playing in front of almost 100K people. Lots of things that add up to his performance. Poor kid was probably scared to death even against a second rate foe like APSU. Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day and even Peyton had a bad game his first time out.

I think our receiving staff did an outstanding job considering the shoes they had to fill with the departure of Hunter, Patterson, Rivera and Rogers.

Not in the video, but Palardy is looking a lot better than last season.

Also not in the video, have to work on kick return defense. For APSU to get 20+ yards on a return? Not going to bode well for top 25 opponents.

ETA: And something I noticed. No showboating. No grandstanding. No excessive celebrations on the field. A very well disciplined team. Kind of nice to see how mature and disciplined players can be unlike some returning Heisman winners...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Peterman looks not that great. No real command. Not as mobile as I thought and poor at reads.

I mean we kinda did just run the same plays again and again

This. If you went through and counted, you would probably find that over 50 percent of all plays that were ran were the same off tackle read option. Vanilla. Vanilla. Vanilla.

This. If you went through and counted, you would probably find that over 50 percent of all plays that were ran were the same off tackle read option. Vanilla. Vanilla. Vanilla.

What did you expect? It was Austin Peay.

VN Store

Back