Vols vs Austin Peay: Offense (video)

Still do not have a dynamic running back. There wasn't really anything special there given the push by the o-line.

I read all this praise for our running backs and I wonder if my expectations were set too high? I didn't think they finished runs with the physicality that will be required to get tough yards in the SEC. Neal is too anxious to get to the sidelines. SEC backs run between the hash marks. O-line (first team) did a good job. I would have liked to see them get to the second level more often. Passing game made plays, but we left a ton of YAC's on the field due to Worley's inaccuracies.

Neal to the 40 down to the 30 at the 25 one man to beat to the 15 10 5 into the cheggerboards touchdown Tennessee.. Did anyone else think of John Ward when he broke free?

Peterman stares down every receiver, every time.

Both QB's misread the read option several times costing what looked like could be big plays.

Our second string OL has some serious work to do.

Worley was good, but needs to work on leading his receivers better. The few in-completions by him were because the balls were behind.

The WR's made some really good adjustments to the ball in the air and made some really nice grabs. The one catch by Paul Harris from Peterman was amazing due to the fact that he had to turn his whole body and make and awkward reach with arms fully extended.

The first team OL and all of our WR's impressed me.

Something I LOVED... Watch the WR's on running plays. They were getting after it like wild animals blocking out there. Neals first TD was set up by a HUGE block by Croom.

Marlin Lane did a great job getting north and south with the ball.

Rajion Neal had a great game obviously, but there were a few times he decided to run laterally and either lost his balance or got shoestring tackled.

Woody Quinn was getting pushed around by a guy 50 pounds his lighter almost every play he was in.

As far as that read option... Several times the back side DE that goes unblocked in that scheme almost made a play on the RB/QB in the backfield. That's against the talent that AP fields. I'm concerned that SEC caliber DE's with much better speed are going eat that play up.

The TE position is a concern for me. I don't see a legitimate pass catching threat out of the guys I saw play yesterday. Downs can do some things, but he isn't exactly overwhelming.

Despite the large variety of formations, I think the play calling was very vanilla.

I agree Sam about the SEC DE's but one thing I noticed was that on several occasions Worley and Peterman could have kept the ball and ran for big gains. And I have to say that I love this Offensive scheme. It makes the Defense play honest and if they don't you can eat them alive.

IMO if our guys can perfect this Offensive scheme we have all the tools to be a very very successful moving the ball. I was very impressed with how our WR's played being as young as they are. Florida will be a be change for them IMO as their DB's love to do a lot of Holding. Hope they can adjust.

And I also have to say I was very impressed with our 1 string Offensive Line. Was very shocked to see how well they were run blocking. If we can keep this up I don't see how we will not be successful running the ball. And I don't understand how people can say Neal and Lane are not good SEC RB's. Because they both ran very well IMO and I am an old RB myself. There was a couple of times Neal should have kept it going north but overall he ran very well.

2 string and 3 string well ok considering they are very green. however it was good to see them get to play. I am sure CBJ will school them up.

Last edited:
I like the intensity that we played with on both sides for 4 quarters.

We gave Western Kentucky very little of our playbook.

McCullers got push toward the QB which is great to see. On the Hood INT McCullers had the Peay QB in his sights. I imagine that had something to do with the trajectory of that throw.

We will have a much better idea about where we are after next week, but this was a textbook win against this sort of opening opponent. Knock them out early, then work on fundamentals.

Last edited:
whoever does these is all that and a bag of tater chips. loveeee it.

quality of video is not great (not freaks fault by any means) but its hard to see why, but i don't understand why 90% of worleys completions are by receivers sliding to catch them...is he that far off target, or are they scared they are going to drop it so they are "securing" it by sliding.

quality of video is not great (not freaks fault by any means) but its hard to see why, but i don't understand why 90% of worleys completions are by receivers sliding to catch them...is he that far off target, or are they scared they are going to drop it so they are "securing" it by sliding.

The quality of the broadcast left a lot to be desired.

Yeah but it will probably be later tonight.

no special teams one ? :search:

Slacker

and thanks :hi: for the videos

i seen Fred White on TV laughing last night,about people worrying about the play calling,he said they wouldn't show nothing on either side of the ball till Oregon and Fla,unless they just have to,here is to vanilla play calling next weekend :)

jk about the slacker:superman:,sorta :post-4-1090547912:

Last edited:
no special teams one ? :search:

Slacker

and thanks :hi: for the videos

i seen Fred White on TV laughing last night,about people worrying about the play calling,he said they wouldn't show nothing on either side of the ball till Oregon and Fla,unless they just have to,here is to vanilla play calling next weekend :)

jk about the slacker:superman:,sorta :post-4-1090547912:

I actually thought about special teams. :lol: I may tackle it later today.

Thanks for posting, Freak! I enjoy watching the game again just to see if there's anything that stands out from the play calling.

GBO

Can anybody list all 11 offensive and defensive starters?

TE Downs, B.
LT Richardson, A.
LG Bullard, A.
C Stone, J.
RG Fulton, Z.
RT James, J.
WR North, M.
WR Howard, A.
WR Croom, J.
QB Worley, J.
TB Neal, R.

L Miller, C.
T McCullers, D.
N Hood, D.
E Williams, J.
WLB Sapp, D.
MLB Johnson, A.J.
NK Toney, J.
CB Coleman, J.
SS Randolph, B.
FS McNeil, L.
CB Sutton, C.

I actually thought Summerhill was the best looking RB. Him and Lane looked good because they like running North and South. Neal is ok but the first chance he gets to bounce it outside hes doing it and it wont work in the SEC. Gotta let the O line open a hole for the RB to get to the secondary.

Worley looked ok and managed the game well but throws behind alot. I understand some of the recievers ran the routes wrong but that doesnt mean Worley doesnt have to use his eyes. The offense looks like it sets up well for our most mobile QB which obviously isnt playing. Play calling was very bland and understandably so.

One thing is GLARING: Worley should have kept the ball more often--he either misread the defense or didn't want to run--but he kept handing off to the tailbacks when there was acres of room for him to run. He ran the ball four times and he should have run it at least 8 times. We were getting nice yardage with the tailbacks--but he could have gotten 15 or more yards on a few occasions when he hands off to the TB for 7. Against better defenses he will be under more pressure to make the right read.

Did anybody else notice that 95% of the time the running back was lined up a yard behind the qb that it was a running play? I remember watching a game last year where the announcers got onto the Vols about this and it looks like we have still not fixed this.

The touchdown pass to D. Young in the first and then the touchdown pass to P. Howard to start the 2nd, the rb was lined up behind the qb but other than those two plays and a few others you would have a good guess as to run or pass just based on how we lined up. Really hoping that it is just due to us being so vanilla and we really begin to mix it up this week.

VN Store

Back