Vols vs Mo common opponents

Our strength is the run game. Yes we have a really good passing game but for us to have success, we have to run the ball for a lot of yards. We won’t be able to line up and run for 200 against UGA. They have way too much elite depth.

We just aren’t there yet. I will be surprised in we stay within 17 of UGA. It is what it is.
I agree, it's frustrating to watch what normally would be a 10-12 yard run turn into a 5 yard against UGA.

UGA will lose at least 2 games this year, imo. They haven't been very impressive thus far. NC State might actually be a better team than Clemson. TX will most definitely beat them as long as Ewers is healthy.
We shall see but I disagree with about everything you posted.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I know that anything can happen, but beating UGA is unlikely. Next year is the year to do it imo. I haven’t seen enough yet to pencil us in the SEC champ game, but the eye test tells me we are a better team than Mizzou.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We tend to play them better in Athens than we do at home. I think their adorable little stadium just doesn't scare us.

Now that being said, I just don't think Heup's offense works against Georgia's defense. I don't know how or why exactly, and I'm sure it's got a ton to do with their talent on their defense, but it just doesn't feel like it clicks against them. Teams with worse offenses seem to be able to move the ball on them better than we do.
I honestly think UGA sleepwalks mid games and turns it on for big games. They always get up for us.

My heart says 11-1 my brain says 9-3. As great as the outcome of the NC State game was there were some problems. Outside of the defensive performance that game looked just like most games in 2023. The offense was... lumpy. Dylan Sampson and the TE's were the heroes of the offense. How much of the passing offense was shovel passes? I was seriously worried about our Oline. They were not opening holes.. Sampson got most of his yards after contact. Nico had defenders in his face way too many times from 3-4 man rushes. The second pick was definitely NOT Nicos fault....but I would argue the first one was him feeling he had to fit one in because of the constant pressure. The defense played so well it kinda covered that up.

I think next week they work on some of those things and rest the starters and get them ready for OK. My worry is how many teams look back on this tape? Because 3-3-5 gave us fits in the passing game. They were dropping 7-8 on every passing down and Nico wasn't able to check out of those plays because its kinda hard to know who is coming and who is dropping. I was watching Aaron Murray break down the passing plays and it was kinda wild. Maybe the 3-3-5 is the kryptonite to the veer and shoot?
Run for 250, 3 TDs, 6 YPC and there were no holes? what??

Do you expect Sampson to get 5yds downfield every carry before contact? Good RBs are expected to gain after contact.

This game didn't look like 23. That team never scored more than 20 vs a ranked team except Iowa. They never ran 12 personnel all game because the TEs didn't scare anyone. Not every game is going to look like 22 Kentucky and that's a good thing. This team can win multiple ways. They showed they can sustain drives and not rely on shot plays when the D wants to play 3 high safeties.

I don't understand hand wringing about shovel passes. That's creative playcalling. Would you rather have them throw it downfield into a tight window on 3rd down while they're dropping 8 and UT is mauling them on both sides of the LOS? Nico would've had close to 300 yds anyway if Cooper wasn't a foot too far downfield, and Sampson scored on a 35 yd rush that Heard sealed off perfectly like 2 mins later anyway.

You're overstating the NCSt pass rush too. UT gave up 1 sack on a rollout that Kitselman fell down on. That pocket was clean as a whistle on the 1st pick. Bru was coming open in a window behind #14 on that play and Nico threw it a split second too early and missed him. If he waits a moment more (which he could, there was no pressure, watch the replay) he probably hits him in stride. They brought 6 on the second play of the following drive and Nico torched them up the sideline to Squirrel. They did that again in the redzone miss to Squirrel on the same drive but it was a play action that the DE didn't bite on and Nico missed him on a quick out that was open. If that scheme was supposed to be the "kryptonite" and they score 44pts on it on a neutral field in Nico's 3rd start against a defensive head coach, that's pretty encouraging in my opinion. And it's not like the Wolfpack are playing a bunch of bums on defense, that's been the strength of their team since Doeren has been there. Yeah Spraggins got beat on the 2nd one but they were up 34 pts and answered with 7 on the next drive anyway.

I'm not trying to call you out here. It's just frustrating to me that this team is growing and showing they can be multiple and people are still insecure about nitpicking every little mistake that gets made. When you play a competent team, theyre gonna make a few plays. The better team answers by beating them by 7 Tds anyway. 10 wins and a possible playoff berth isnt some farfetched conclusion. And having a few moments on film where they faced some adversity will be good for them in the long run. Maybe show a little confidence in these guys instead of chronically worrying about every little missed assignment, they're earning it.

Last edited:
We tend to play them better in Athens than we do at home. I think their adorable little stadium just doesn't scare us.

Now that being said, I just don't think Heup's offense works against Georgia's defense. I don't know how or why exactly, and I'm sure it's got a ton to do with their talent on their defense, but it just doesn't feel like it clicks against them. Teams with worse offenses seem to be able to move the ball on them better than we do.
Would not say that so fast. In 22 I vividly remember us talking crap about Athens and how it was not an intimidating place to play all week leading up to it. Then, I remember my tv sounding like it was screaming at me the whole game and thinking damn they are being rowdy. They proceeded to put a whoopin on us.

App State is not a quality team. Clemson will probably lose 2-3 more games this year in the ACC.
I hope you are right but the ACC is pretty weak. Clemson won’t see a defense that’s even remotely close to UGA. And yeah Miami seems good but they haven’t played anyone. Who else could beat them Louisville? Maybe but I doubt it.

I hope you are right.

I hope you are right but the ACC is pretty weak. Clemson won’t see a defense that’s even remotely close to UGA. And yeah Miami seems good but they haven’t played anyone. Who else could beat them Louisville? Maybe but I doubt it.

I hope you are right.

I think NC State is a better team than them, despite NC State's performance this past week. Louisville is certainly a better team. And Pitt always seems to give them fits. And while obviously not an ACC team, I wouldn't count out little brother USC, who absolutely dominated Kentucky last week.

But it's true that their schedule is pretty weak. Pitt looks like their toughest road game.

Would not say that so fast. In 22 I vividly remember us talking crap about Athens and how it was not an intimidating place to play all week leading up to it. Then, I remember my tv sounding like it was screaming at me the whole game and thinking damn they are being rowdy. They proceeded to put a whoopin on us.

I've been there, trust me it's nothing like Neyland.

VN Store

Back