We’re Ranked 5th: Why so much worry?

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
This is what happens when you ONLY pay attention to your team.
All of a sudden:
- our oline isn’t deep and is a weakness
- Heupel went into a conservative shell
- Haven’t faced a “real “ passing attack yet….
I’m sorry…what does the defense practice against EVERYDAY???
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

How do you think UGA felt about barely beating Kentucky?? What about Alabama and their closer that expected game against South Florida
We just beat the Oklahoma Sooner on their HOME FIELD, and didn’t play as well as we could.

▪️You don’t understand that running 3.8 yards per carry in the teeth of a run stopping defense builds character and puts us in 3rd and short!
▪️You don’t understand that on paper Oklahoma is more talented- yet was never a threat to win on their home field…
▪️ You don’t see that we have 10 freshmen on the olineman (some RS) and still wonder why we struggled AT TIMES with one of the better defenses in college football. Guess what? They will get older as this season progresses and into next season!
▪️ You don’t see that we have won games through big pass plays. Slow grinding games. Defense causing turnovers. Nico converting crucial 3rd downs to keep our offense on the field and clock running. We’re not a one trick pony. How do you truly stop a team that can win ANYWAY they WANT to???

We’ve beaten 2 Top 25 Teams so far this year- and there has not been one second that we weren’t in control of the games.

So much for Oklahoma's entrance to the SEC.....
burning-carriage.jpg

Exactly!!! winning on the road in the SEC is tough regardless of the opponent and couple that with the starting LT being out this was a bigtime win for our program.

Reactions: volbound1700
You can say we beat two top 25 teams and OU is a top 25 team. I have this feeling their offense is about to get a jolt when Hawkins takes over.

But NC State was hot garbage and preseason ranked for some unknown reason (much like Missouri). It's going to take a LOT to get them back into the Top 25.

Not even going to mention the other cupcakes.

The meat of our schedule started Saturday and it won't get any easier. It's best to worry about things at this point.

I was pretty shocked about how bad Jackson Arnold looked. He was a 5 star recruit? I also felt like he like he kept circling around his coach, hoping to go back in at any moment

You can say we beat two top 25 teams and OU is a top 25 team. I have this feeling their offense is about to get a jolt when Hawkins takes over.

But NC State was hot garbage and preseason ranked for some unknown reason (much like Missouri). It's going to take a LOT to get them back into the Top 25.

The meat of our schedule started Saturday and it won't get any easier. It's best to worry about things at this point.

I still think NC State wins 7 or 8 games. They won't see top 25 though.

All of a sudden:
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

How do you think UGA felt about barely beating Kentucky?? What about Alabama and their closer that expected game against South Florida
We just beat the Oklahoma Sooner on their HOME FIELD, and didn’t play as well as we could.

▪️You don’t understand that running 3.8 yards per carry in the teeth of a run stopping defense builds character and puts us in 3rd and short!
▪️You don’t understand that on paper Oklahoma is more talented- yet was never a threat to win on their home field…
▪️ You don’t see that we have 10 freshmen on the olineman (some RS) and still wonder why we struggled AT TIMES with one of the better defenses in college football. Guess what? They will get older as this season progresses and into next season!
▪️ You don’t see that we have won games through big pass plays. Slow grinding games. Defense causing turnovers. Nico converting crucial 3rd downs to keep our offense on the field and clock running. We’re not a one trick pony. How do you truly stop a team that can win ANYWAY they WANT to???

We’ve beaten 2 Top 25 Teams so far this year- and there has not been one second that we weren’t in control of the games.
We're obviously doing well or we wouldn't be #5 in the country.

There's no "real" way to claim we've beaten 2 top 25 teams. NCSt is not nor should have ever been considered top 25. OK at their house is a legit win.

Reactions: 08Vol and Grand Vol
All of a sudden:
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

Problems with the Oline have been brought up since the first 2 games. At least I have. Its not like its some emergency but the Oline is the current weak spot on this team. The fact we lost both starting Tackles this past week just made it worse. Its not like our Oline is bad its just compared to every other unit they are the weak link. They are not weak overall I think they are very good just the weakest singular unit on the offense and maybe the team since thus far the secondary has done its job.

Other than that yes all the other whinging is silly. WRs have produced when given opportunities. Nico will have all this week to work on timing which has been the only problem there. If they take out that stupid shovel pass and get healthy we are set. This is a good team. It could turn into a great one. Oklahoma game made up my mind this team can do something special and make the playoffs that no question. The question is can they make it to Atlanta? I am way more worried about that now than anything else. one step at a time. Beat Arkansas. Then worry about the next step because one game at a time is how we get to Atlanta being focused on the next game and nothing else.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I was pretty shocked about how bad Jackson Arnold looked. He was a 5 star recruit? I also felt like he like he kept circling around his coach, hoping to go back in at any moment

Shades of Spencer Rattler came to mind.

I'm thinking Hawkins is their Caleb Williams. Though I think he moves more like Mayfield.

All of a sudden:
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

All of a sudden:
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

Im really not that worried, Im excited!

Because our fans can’t enjoy anything without stressing over something else.
I've said it before and I'll say it again- it's prime idiocy to nitpick at this win. It was apparent to anybody with a quarter of a brain that Heupel drastically changed how he called the game in response to how it was unfolding (including field conditions). The same weenies that always bitch about halftime adjustments are bitching now despite watching a coach adjust ON THE FLY to the game in front of him and, in reality, dominating in such a way that the game was never really that close.

I don't understand. We have the talent and depth and coaching to win in just about every way possible. And to clowns wanting us to go undefeated- in the new world, with the new structure, that is going to be less and less likely and should never really be an expectation. Titles matter, not records.

Get into the playoffs and use this all out solidness on both sides to control games. That's how you win.

All of a sudden:
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

- our oline isn’t deep and is a weakness "Isn't deep" I don't agree with, but to not be concerned that BOTH starting tackles would be moronic
- Heupel went into a conservative shell He 100% did! He was concerned about Nico's two fumbles and the (atrocious and unforgivable) state of the field. However, I think most realize it was the right move, or at any rate, it worked.
- Haven’t faced a “real “ passing attack yet….OUs starter was hot garbage. The guy at NC State is the only decent passer we have faced, but his line struggled to protect him and his WRs were average. Its true that we have not faced a really good passing attack yet.
I’m sorry…what does the defense practice against EVERYDAY??? Practice and game are not the same. Just ask JG, Joe Milton, and apparently Ungolalalula or whatever his name is at FSU.
- WRs underperforming This one I definitely do not see,they are doing amazing

edit: Meant to add, I speak only for myself, but noting we have some areas to improve is not the same as predicting all is doom, or that we are going to lose 4 games, or whatever. I will say this, of the items above, the only long term concern I have is that our two tackles get healthy and return against Arkansas or at least prior to bama. Everything else is short term noise.

Because our fans can’t enjoy anything without stressing over something else.
Speak for yourself. I'm enjoying the season tremendously, and that's while having concerns about OL depth.

And there's nothing anyone can say to refute the fact that it is a legitimate concern. Our backup OT gave up two sack fumbles. Fortunately, Oklahoma let us off the hook by turning the ball over themselves on the very next play both times.

I don't understand why many of you think you have to bury your head in the sand and ignore circumstances in order to enjoy anything. It's okay to talk about our problems, and a therapist would tell you it's healthy to do so.

Speak for yourself. I'm enjoying the season tremendously, and that's while having concerns about OL depth.

And there's nothing anyone can say to refute the fact that it is a legitimate concern. Our backup OT gave up two sack fumbles. Fortunately, Oklahoma let us off the hook by turning the ball over themselves on the very next play both times.

I don't understand why many of you think you have to bury your head in the sand and ignore circumstances in order to enjoy anything. It's okay to talk about our problems, and a therapist would tell you it's healthy to do so.
A bad therapist tells you to talk about them.

A good therapist helps you work out if they're actually problems or not.

Sad trombone for you.

I'm not worried about this team. This is one of the best defenses we have had in years which can keep us in any game and the offense is good enough. We may not beat Alabama but I think we match up with Georgia quite well.

Clearly a lot of areas to improve, as CJH constantly points out, but my money would be on this team making a playoff. And I think it’s possible for a deep run maybe to the title.

Let’s enjoy the ride! It been a long damn time!!

Ther
OP, This team doesn't look like a team that can go 12-0... just sayin.

We have deficiencies and this is the place to discuss those.
There’s discussion and there’s just BVS.

This team hasn’t even come close to peaking yet.

we have talented lineman that are just young. But they won’t completely wither away if they get thrown out there.

Heard is only 2 years out of HS himself. He’s not some seasoned veteran. Our oline situation is a good as anyone’s in the country.

You saw an offense that put up 65 points in one half last week…
You saw where that same team has the number one ranked defense in the country.

What does a 12-0 team look like??
Can you point to one?
How can you make such a statement??

Arkansas, Florida, MS State and UK will all be easier than OU

Arkansas, Florida, MS State and UK will all be easier than OU
I'm not convinced that Oklahoma is better than Arkansas... OU struggled to beat Houston and Tulane. Their offense is terrible. And while Arkansas did struggle with UAB, they also had Oklahoma State on the ropes and just failed to close.

Depending on how things go Saturday against A&M, Arkansas could enter next week as a 4-1 ranked opponent who is 2-0 in the SEC, with their only loss being a double OT loss on the road against a ranked opponent. If they win Saturday, they'd be an opponent who is one missed FG away from being in the Top 10.

VN Store

Back