We’re Ranked 5th: Why so much worry?

I'm not convinced that Oklahoma is better than Arkansas... OU struggled to beat Houston and Tulane. Their offense is terrible. And while Arkansas did struggle with UAB, they also had Oklahoma State on the ropes and just failed to close.

Depending on how things go Saturday against A&M, Arkansas could enter next week as a 4-1 ranked opponent who is 2-0 in the SEC, with their only loss being a double OT loss on the road against a ranked opponent. If they win Saturday, they'd be an opponent who is one missed FG away from being in the Top 10.
Arkansas scares me a little bit too, but we do get a well deserved bye rest after a very physical road win. The good news for us is that the strength of this team is the defense and that group is more or less healthy going into the bye already, so they will be well rested and ready to take advantage of another questionable o-line.

We need our OTs back though. I thought part of the conservative play calling this past week was the fact that Nico was drilled twice off the edge and they didn't want to risk another one the second half. OU's defense is full of athletes and it showed.

There’s discussion and there’s just BVS.

This team hasn’t even come close to peaking yet.

we have talented lineman that are just young. But they won’t completely wither away if they get thrown out there.

Heard is only 2 years out of HS himself. He’s not some seasoned veteran. Our oline situation is a good as anyone’s in the country.

You saw an offense that put up 65 points in one half last week…
You saw where that same team has the number one ranked defense in the country.

What does a 12-0 team look like??
Can you point to one?
How can you make such a statement??
These are fair points @LittleVol

We've got a great team. And while our roster isn't perfect, neither is anyone else's.

Reactions: LittleVol
I'm not convinced that Oklahoma is better than Arkansas... OU struggled to beat Houston and Tulane. Their offense is terrible. And while Arkansas did struggle with UAB, they also had Oklahoma State on the ropes and just failed to close.

Depending on how things go Saturday against A&M, Arkansas could enter next week as a 4-1 ranked opponent who is 2-0 in the SEC, with their only loss being a double OT loss on the road against a ranked opponent. If they win Saturday, they'd be an opponent who is one missed FG away from being in the Top 10.

I am an idiot lol Had a whole reply up about OU playing Arky. We will see what they do vs A&M.

Ther

There’s discussion and there’s just BVS.

This team hasn’t even come close to peaking yet.

we have talented lineman that are just young. But they won’t completely wither away if they get thrown out there.

Heard is only 2 years out of HS himself. He’s not some seasoned veteran. Our oline situation is a good as anyone’s in the country.

You saw an offense that put up 65 points in one half last week…
You saw where that same team has the number one ranked defense in the country.

What does a 12-0 team look like??
Can you point to one?
How can you make such a statement??
I would point to tOSU right now given their schedule. If TX can get past UGA, they would be another.

That offense that put up 65 points in the first half last week was not what we saw Saturday night.

The OL concerns are real, not BVS.

Venables just showed Bama and UGA how to defend our offense. This rs freshman QB needs to grow up and quick.

This is what happens when you ONLY pay attention to your team.
All of a sudden:
- our oline isn’t deep and is a weakness
- Heupel went into a conservative shell
- Haven’t faced a “real “ passing attack yet….
I’m sorry…what does the defense practice against EVERYDAY???
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

How do you think UGA felt about barely beating Kentucky?? What about Alabama and their closer that expected game against South Florida
We just beat the Oklahoma Sooner on their HOME FIELD, and didn’t play as well as we could.

▪️You don’t understand that running 3.8 yards per carry in the teeth of a run stopping defense builds character and puts us in 3rd and short!
▪️You don’t understand that on paper Oklahoma is more talented- yet was never a threat to win on their home field…
▪️ You don’t see that we have 10 freshmen on the olineman (some RS) and still wonder why we struggled AT TIMES with one of the better defenses in college football. Guess what? They will get older as this season progresses and into next season!
▪️ You don’t see that we have won games through big pass plays. Slow grinding games. Defense causing turnovers. Nico converting crucial 3rd downs to keep our offense on the field and clock running. We’re not a one trick pony. How do you truly stop a team that can win ANYWAY they WANT to???

We’ve beaten 2 Top 25 Teams so far this year- and there has not been one second that we weren’t in control of the games.
Agree with most of what you say except the OL depth.

I would point to tOSU right now given their schedule. If TX can get past UGA, they would be another.

That offense that put up 65 points in the first half last week was not what we saw Saturday night.

Venables just showed Bama and UGA how to defend our offense. This rs freshman QB needs to grow up and quick.
Doubling down on some nice bad takes. Got to admire the guts, as stupid as they are.

Rather than insult, why don't you try discussing?
Because I've already discussed it in several posts, one in this very thread. Thinking Venables showed other teams how to shut down our offense is downright silly, especially because our coaches specifically discussed all of this after the game (both their own decision to control the game and acknowledging this type of defense going forward).

If you're going to spout opinions, at least take the time to know what you're talking about.

I would still rather face Arkansas's defense instead of OU.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Agreed. Enjoy how well coached and developed this team is so far! And honestly I enjoyed that game the other night watching how nasty that defense is. I never felt the game was in doubt and our offense did just enough when it needed to. The only point from your list that I'd say is somewhat warranted though is the OL depth. That's a legitimate concern for the rest of the season. We need Heard and Campbell out there against Georgia and Bama without question. We can probably get away with Johnson and/or Davis in the other games and be OK. Glad to have this bye week to have them heal and get things worked out to become even better!

Because I've already discussed it in several posts, one in this very thread. Thinking Venables showed other teams how to shut down our offense is downright silly, especially because our coaches specifically discussed all of this after the game (both their own decision to control the game and acknowledging this type of defense going forward).

If you're going to spout opinions, at least take the time to know what you're talking about.
Previously, UGA was about the only other team that has been able to hold Heupels offense down.

Did Venables do anything different or was it a variation of the same game plan?

I made more than one point in my original post, was all that just my stupid takes as well or did you just lump them all together because you disagreed with this one?

These are fair points @LittleVol

We've got a great team. And while our roster isn't perfect, neither is anyone else's.
Exactly.

All I’m saying is for people to stop and think about that. The 1998 team that we all adore had the most average passing attack a team could have.

Yet against the top pass defense in the country that (Florida State) they went for 250+. That team found a way to win.

This 2024 team is showing that they have the will win- by adapting to any situation:

They’ll line up in 12 personnel and pound you before dumping it to the TE.
They’ll overwhelm you with Tempo and a spread field.
They break the heart of the defense when our QB burns their defense with his legs.
Our dline is never ending in the scheme of game. They never tire and constantly beat up the opponents.

I don’t see this team losing this year, once Nico finds a rhythm.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Previously, UGA was about the only other team that has been able to hold Heupels offense down.

Again, were we "held down"? Or did we go into game control mode? The staff explicitly answered this postgame. And your assumption that other defenses will just do the same thing assumes our coaches can't adjust and teach and change through the season. It's silly.

You and a handful of raggedy VN posters are the only people that think we were "held down" and the coach didn't make the deliberate call to literally run the game out all of the second half on a crappy field and in a game where the defense was lighting it up.

You can be concerned all you want. It's a stupid concern, but it's yours, so whatever.

I get it, and I do think we’re a solid team. You lost me at we’ve beaten two top 25 teams. Keep telling yourself that, lol. Idc what they were ranked at the time we played them. NC State will end up about the 80-100 range this season.

IMO, Heupel realized in the game that OU's defense creating TO's was the only way they were going to win that game especially with two of our tackles out. He decided to chew clock and put the game in the hands of our defense with a good lead which ultimately paid off. It proved to be the right call because OU's offense couldn't overcome the double digit deficit. Make no mistake, Venables has a great defensive mind, had a bunch of studs on defense, and put together a great game plan. Luckily, our gameplan was better and UT won a physical matchup beating them at their own game. Heupel now has the horses to play conservatively relying on the defense or put up points. The opponent's strengths and weaknesses on other side dictates the strategy.

Reactions: Rrcox1951 and McDad

We would have been up 29-3 early in the 3rd if not for the refs. And the flood gates would have opened.

OSU? So they will score more on our defense than our offense can score on theirs? I’ll take those odds any day.
They’re a name. Just like Oklahoma was a name.
They’re not a complete team either.

If TX can get past?? Either they are a “”12-0” team or not.

You see what I mean? There’s no real logic to that thinking that teams are better than us…just because 🙄

Yeah we played a lot lot better against OU than we did against Kent State. Despite not having Heard.

But these are just my words. All I really want people to do is realize is that there has never been a perfect National Champion- so why go on and on and on about the same ailments every other team has????

The oline worry is absolute BVS. We ain’t relying on the Sullins brothers anymore. We have highly recruit but young players just needing an opportunity to play. And the veterans in front of them but behind Heard weren’t awful..

We beat THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS
on their home field!!

People are worried?

This is the best stretch of UT athletics overall I've been through. Sure we need to win more championships but everyone is good. I've never had that before.

I get it, and I do think we’re a solid team. You lost me at we’ve beaten two top 25 teams. Keep telling yourself that, lol. Idc what they were ranked at the time we played them. NC State will end up about the 80-100 range this season.
They were ranked 25th. Did I say they were the 25th best team in the country?

80-100th?? The fact that you would even say that tells me everything. Bottom of the ACC is still a top 70 team 🙄 Just count the teams in the P4.

If you’re bound and determined to crap on a 4-0 ranked 5th ranked Tennessee team…have at it.

Lose that…
A losing mentality.

OP, This team doesn't look like a team that can go 12-0... just sayin.

We have deficiencies and this is the place to discuss those.
Sh0w me one that looks the Part ? There isn't one that plays in this conference. They are beatable including us

Sh0w me one that looks the Part ? There isn't one that plays in this conference. They are beatable including us
I'd say outside of maybe a G5ish school that plays nobody there aren't any anywhere. The new reality of conferences makes it more like the NFL, where an unbeaten season is highly unlikely.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Not going to reply to all, just want to say that if we get into a similar situation offensively that we did Saturday night against Bama or UGA, we will lose.

Again, tOSU is a 12-0 team based on their schedule. Doesn't mean we aren't better but we aren't in the Big10.

TX has only one real game looming on their schedule and they have a very real chance of winning it, so yes they look like a 12-0 team.

Not going to reply to all, just want to say that if we get into a similar situation offensively that we did Saturday night against Bama or UGA, we will lose.

Again, tOSU is a 12-0 team based on their schedule. Doesn't mean we aren't better but we aren't in the Big10.

TX has only one real game looming on their schedule and they have a very real chance of winning it, so yes they look like a 12-0 team.
Give me them lottery numbers, Nostradamus.

This is what happens when you ONLY pay attention to your team.
All of a sudden:
- our oline isn’t deep and is a weakness
- Heupel went into a conservative shell
- Haven’t faced a “real “ passing attack yet….
I’m sorry…what does the defense practice against EVERYDAY???
- WRs underperforming

NONSENSE ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻
Every single bit of it.

How do you think UGA felt about barely beating Kentucky?? What about Alabama and their closer that expected game against South Florida
We just beat the Oklahoma Sooner on their HOME FIELD, and didn’t play as well as we could.

▪️You don’t understand that running 3.8 yards per carry in the teeth of a run stopping defense builds character and puts us in 3rd and short!
▪️You don’t understand that on paper Oklahoma is more talented- yet was never a threat to win on their home field…
▪️ You don’t see that we have 10 freshmen on the olineman (some RS) and still wonder why we struggled AT TIMES with one of the better defenses in college football. Guess what? They will get older as this season progresses and into next season!
▪️ You don’t see that we have won games through big pass plays. Slow grinding games. Defense causing turnovers. Nico converting crucial 3rd downs to keep our offense on the field and clock running. We’re not a one trick pony. How do you truly stop a team that can win ANYWAY they WANT to???

We’ve beaten 2 Top 25 Teams so far this year- and there has not been one second that we weren’t in control of the games.
I prefer to think of it in terms of...we won IN SPITE of not having our starting OTs. As long as we have them down the road (or others get better), we're fine.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL

VN Store

Back