Week 1 Overreactions : Vol opponents

My friend is a Gator fan and he was telling me that Florida would get 2 wins max this season. I told him that he could take his house to Vegas that they’d beat Tennessee. I believe it too. There’s death, taxes, and Florida beating Tennessee in football. If I’d known this a decade ago, I’d be retired, but this year, I’m putting a quarter mil down for Florida to win
Last year Florida was about as bad as they've been in the last 25 years, and they still managed to beat a very decent Vols team. They play here this year, so I hope we beat their socks off, but I'm not making any bets.

Reactions: livefaith
I’m not to your level of pessimism BUT I’m not buying ANY hype of us “pounding” then until we first BEAT them. Idc what they look like they have our number until we prove otherwise unfortunately

Hey! This just in, from the very last time we played Florida in Neyland:

1725202122120.png

So consider it proved otherwise.

We gone whup gator butt next month.

Go Vols!

Backup QB looks to be a threat. Otherwise, yeah….i saw nothing that impressed me.

The question becomes is the U that good or is FL that bad.
UM with 5 70+ yard drives so their O is solid but Mertz played so poorly not sure if that was all UM's D. With their schedule, UF is in for a very ugly season.

How is that a surprise to anyone’s that’s payed attention to college football the past year or so
UF is #15 on the talent composite, so I figured they should still do better than predictions.
No.
They are a bad football team. It didn't really look like Napier was coaching during the game. It might have been a Freudian thing, but it didn't seem like he was engaged with the team much during the game. I really noticed it during the 2nd half. It was a weird visual.

Reactions: WillisWG
UM with 5 70+ yard drives so their O is solid but Mertz played so poorly not sure if that was all UM's D. With their schedule, UF is in for a very ugly season.
I think UF will have to switch to a bubble screen passing game like we did last season. They need to do it so Mertz doesn't get killed.

Reactions: WillisWG
Hey! This just in, from the very last time we played Florida in Neyland:

View attachment 672459

So consider it proved otherwise.

We gone whup gator butt next month.

Go Vols!
That game was like 38-17 with 3 minutes left, and they had a hail mary at the end to win. I do not know how or why we play so bad against them. It defies logic.

NC State: they got one player with the Afro #10 they couldn’t stop the run on western Carolina.. should take care of business - do think Grayson plays a little better next week though

Kent State: I’m pretty sure Pitt just put 55 on them so..

Oklahoma: 1/12 on 3rd down.. Norman ain’t scary.. best receiver is down now (sad). Their o line will struggle with us. We make a statement on these guys

Arkansas: yes, please try to compete in a high scoring affair with us.. speaking of affairs- Petrino made them look like they had a little pep in the offense

Florida: I enjoyed watching that 😂 (outside of watching Barons name get talked about) . Curse doesn’t exist this year and we cruise- Napier will be fired. Lagway may be good though

Alabama: to be updated shortly

Kentucky: same

MS State: only halfway through but that Baylor transfer qb don’t look horrible. But not worried at all

UGA: impressive second half.. I do see them as a bit more vulnerable than the last few years with no star or go to guy on offense.. we can compete- can we win?

UTEP- yawn. They let nebraskas freshman put 40 on them

Vandy- aww, I’m proud of the little guys. Showed a little fight with their New Mexico kid at qb.. but little bro is little bro

Bonus- I really wish South Carolina was on the list.. my how the cocky have fallen
Our individual and collective perspectives on our opponents will change week to week, but after week one results, here is how my take on each opponent has changed from the preseason.

NC State: Thought they would be better, a week ago would have thought we win by 10, now a 21 point margin looks doable
Kent State: We might get 70, not much has changed
Oklahoma: They're as good as advertised, expect line to be +3-4 based on their home field advantage. Toss up game probably coming down to special teams play, late turnover, or referee's call
Arkansas: They are much better than I expected. Was counting this as sure win, now worried it may be a sleeper in between Sooners and Gators. Hoping its not a USCe 2022 letdown game
Florida: Either Miami is the best team in the country or the Gators suck. In Knoxville, checkered Neyland, this may be the 1990 style whoppin' we've all been waiting to put on these guys
Alabama: Along with UGA, they remain the SEC standard. Another 2022 style shoot out, just hoping Nico can out duel Milroe. This may be another "one for the ages". CJH has this series back in play which 3 years ago no one could have expected.
Kentucky: We're home, they're likely not as good as last year, Vols by 14.
MS State: Without their home field cowbell advantage don't see this close. Vols by a bunch
UGA: These guys are just so good defensively, and at their place its hard to see us winning. If we can score 24 we have a chance just doubt we can.
UTEP-Another 70?
Vandy- We embarrass them again, not just on the score board but by turning their home stadium into a sea of orange.

Our individual and collective perspectives on our opponents will change week to week, but after week one results, here is how my take on each opponent has changed from the preseason.

NC State: Thought they would be better, a week ago would have thought we win by 10, now a 21 point margin looks doable
Kent State: We might get 70, not much has changed
Oklahoma: They're as good as advertised, expect line to be +3-4 based on their home field advantage. Toss up game probably coming down to special teams play, late turnover, or referee's call
Arkansas: They are much better than I expected. Was counting this as sure win, now worried it may be a sleeper in between Sooners and Gators. Hoping its not a USCe 2022 letdown game
Florida: Either Miami is the best team in the country or the Gators suck. In Knoxville, checkered Neyland, this may be the 1990 style whoppin' we've all been waiting to put on these guys
Alabama: Along with UGA, they remain the SEC standard. Another 2022 style shoot out, just hoping Nico can out duel Milroe. This may be another "one for the ages". CJH has this series back in play which 3 years ago no one could have expected.
Kentucky: We're home, they're likely not as good as last year, Vols by 14.
MS State: Without their home field cowbell advantage don't see this close. Vols by a bunch
UGA: These guys are just so good defensively, and at their place its hard to see us winning. If we can score 24 we have a chance just doubt we can.
UTEP-Another 70?
Vandy- We embarrass them again, not just on the score board but by turning their home stadium into a sea of orange.
This is a pretty solid take. Oklahoma is going to be a very tough game. I’m not worried about us as far as special teams/punt coverage, we remain elite there.
It will be Nico’s first test with a quality team, on the road, with a hostile environment.

Arkansas could definitely be a sleeper loss.

Last year Florida was about as bad as they've been in the last 25 years, and they still managed to beat a very decent Vols team. They play here this year, so I hope we beat their socks off, but I'm not making any bets.

Let’s look at it from the TN/ KY perspective. We always show up for Kentucky because we know what it looks like for TN when we don’t win that game. Florida always shows up for TN because they know how bleak their season looks with this game as a loss.

Until we can create a win streak against Florida and they focus on other avenues to stay relevant, this is going to be a “Super Bowl” game for TN. It doesn’t matter how much Florida is struggling. We can’t just come fired up and we can’t just play a mistake free game. It has to be our best effort for the entire week until they start counting this game as a loss at the beginning of the season.

In all honesty, we shouldn’t even trash talk their fans or players. Let’s win this game no matter what it takes and move on without the taunting and the excessive celebration. We blew them out in 2022 until Neyland (myself included) started chomping and chanting “it’s great to be a TN Vol”. The gators almost pulled off the comeback, starting with our fans’ cockiness in the 3rd quarter.

Let’s look at it from the TN/ KY perspective. We always show up for Kentucky because we know what it looks like for TN when we don’t win that game. Florida always shows up for TN because they know how bleak their season looks with this game as a loss.

Until we can create a win streak against Florida and they focus on other avenues to stay relevant, this is going to be a “Super Bowl” game for TN. It doesn’t matter how much Florida is struggling. We can’t just come fired up and we can’t just play a mistake free game. It has to be our best effort for the entire week until they start counting this game as a loss at the beginning of the season.

In all honesty, we shouldn’t even trash talk their fans or players. Let’s win this game no matter what it takes and move on without the taunting and the excessive celebration.
Bingo.

Reactions: adam.vol
@lawgator1
Obviously there were a lot of strong reactions on yalls side after the game. The one consistent im seeing from posters is yall want and think you can get Kiffen. Whats your take on that?

Mertz will look like a Heisman candidate, all the bounces will go their way, and they’ll get all the 50/50 calls when they play Tennessee. That’s just what happens.
This is a season where id prefer to play the Gators week 2. With our luck they’ll find their footing in the next few weeks and be ready for us

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Mertz will look like a Heisman candidate, all the bounces will go their way, and they’ll get all the 50/50 calls when they play Tennessee. That’s just what happens.
Mertz gonna be running for his life and We may hang 50 on them.

@lawgator1
Obviously there were a lot of strong reactions on yalls side after the game. The one consistent im seeing from posters is yall want and think you can get Kiffen. Whats your take on that?

Conflicted.

He seems to get a lot out of his offenses. He'd probably enjoy a boost in recruiting here. But he seems to bring an element of chaos wherever he goes.

VN Store

Back