Welcome to College Football 2024!

Ah, so that's how it works in pro sports, eh?

Guards make every bit as much as Peyton did? Not close. Keep digging your hole.

Comrade, let me ask, if the trashman or secretary at a big corporation, let's say Amazon, isn't doing their job, the CEO can't do their job so they're just as valuable? I see where your heart is, comrade.

The fact is: Peyton Manning played with some very good teammates at UT, but the Colts paid Peyton an $11M signing bonus just a few months after he left UT. You've got a LONG, LONG journey proving that UT education and exposure was worth anywhere near that $11M Peyton received just a few months after "being compensated" by UT.
Again I say bless your heart “comrade”. I’m saying the kids got paid when they were in school by way of scholarship. And trash man,secretary and CEO are 3 completely different types of jobs. Comrade. Football players are that. Football Players, eh!! But in regards to Peyton. Where did he get his exposure? Tennessee!! Where did he get his education? Tennessee!! Was his tuition, exposure, education, training, coaching, etc paid for. Yep. By his scholarship. Not that he needed it because of his parents. But that’s beside the point.

Reactions: volfan102455
When you boil it all down for us as fans, nothing has really changed has it? Show up on Saturday, play hard, win! We'll continue to cheer from the stands or in front of our TV's/radios. Thats the way its always been and I expect thats the way it always will be. Everything else from Sunday to Friday is of no concern to me.

What's so hypocritical in this is the "I miss the old days when the players came to a school because they wanted to play for the team"...... yeah, right. They feared the team getting sanctioned by the NCAA if they showed the money they were given.

"I miss the old days when the players stayed at their school because they were loyal"..... yeah, right. They were illegally prevented from being able to easily transfer by the NCAA.

It's comical how people want to berate the NCAA for being inept (and they are) one day then whine about the rules the NCAA had in place not being in place the next day.
Your point about NCAA illegally restricting athletes' ability to have reasonable opportunities to transfer schools/teams made me wonder, ...
Would previous college athletes have grounds to sue the NCAA based on market fixing in the past or another angle, in your opinion?
If so, that would be an existential catastrophe for the NCAA.

Your point about NCAA illegally restricting athletes' ability to have reasonable opportunities to transfer schools/teams made me wonder, ...
Would previous college athletes have grounds to sue the NCAA based on market fixing in the past or another angle, in your opinion?
Yes. That's already in discussion. I believe it'll be a massive class action suit from old players who were illegally kept from NIL. The NCAA is cooked. Whether the courts will go after the schools also, is a question.

I'm not an attorney but I believe, if it falls under Antitrust Law violations, it's triple damages.

Again I say bless your heart “comrade”. I’m saying the kids got paid when they were in school by way of scholarship. And trash man,secretary and CEO are 3 completely different types of jobs. Comrade. Football players are that. Football Players, eh!! But in regards to Peyton. Where did he get his exposure? Tennessee!! Where did he get his education? Tennessee!! Was his tuition, exposure, education, training, coaching, etc paid for. Yep. By his scholarship. Not that he needed it because of his parents. But that’s beside the point.
And as I said, the schools, via boosters, OFFERED more money illegally, now legally, because that scholarship didn't cover the value of the player to the program.

Just because you provide the coal miners with a bunk and a company store DOESN'T mean you're compensating them at market value. You just dislike how America works.

Some players are worth more. Nico, for instance, is a potential "game changing" player and his market value is more than your average player.

I'm sorry you dislike America where the market value of a college football player is more than just a scholarship and some teammates are more valuable to the program than others.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Yes. That's already in discussion. I believe it'll be a massive class action suit from old players who were illegally kept from NIL. The NCAA is cooked. Whether the courts will go after the schools also, is a question.

I'm not an attorney but I believe, if it falls under Antitrust Law violations, it's triple damages.
Would the schools find any protection from being under the auspices of the NCAA?
Or would they be completely in collusion with the NCAA?

There will be lawsuits - I expect the female athletes and those athletes in sports that get cut or don't benefit from NIL asking why they don't get the same pay for the same job. There may be a day very soon where the only sports will be football and men's basketball.

It's true that people always have complained about others, often younger generations. Sometimes those complaints are valid though and sometimes they aren't. The trick is knowing which and when. The Egyptian civilization did not last, so at some point concerns about decline/complacency were valid ones, and were ignored.
The Egyptian dynasty lasted centuries. So did the Romans, Incas, and others elsewhere. No dynasty or culture is permanent. It will either implode from decay or a natural disaster that kills them off, or forced relocation and its resulting consequences. Consequences? Yes, forced adaption or modifications coerced by the new environment, merging, or even absorption by the existing culture of the new location. Or, the dynasty falls victim to wars.

Gripes about the younger generation are indeed common. Teens alone spark many such lamentations, each generation. As for violence, the USA is not alone in this, but to give perspective, we are a violent nation. Our cowboy, children cartoons, The High (aka-John Cumberland,) comic boo series, children toys, and other media proves it. Whether you talk about a Buffalo Bill Wild West Show, Popeye the sailor, on up to The Wrath of Becky. Sadly, it's our nature. History doesn't lie, well, unless modified by culture self-glorification or politics.

As for players being paid via the extra benefits. Full scholarship, free medical care and nutrition program. Free tuition and so on. It was just crumbs from the master's table as they feasted on millions that layers generated. And if said player so much as accepted a dime outside the extra benefits boundary, they lost it at the whim of coaches, or the NCAA. Players thus made nice dinner time dogs, that waited under the table for a hoped for crumb or two hitting the floor. Finally, the dogs who happened to get a piece of dropped Filet Mignon said, "Wow, if dropped food is that good down here, I'm going to sit at the table and eat with them." So we have folks who say it's about time. And some crying:
Who let the dogs out?
Who, who, who, who?
Who let the dogs out?

Who, who, who, who?

Last edited:
Here you go most intelligent one. The guys who make more are of more value? Because the qb, wr and rb aren’t any good if the OL isn’t doing their jobs. So an OL “value” should be just as high. No? Also it’s called a team. So why shouldn’t all players be paid the same? With scholarships, they are. And they “all” are representing the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Can go on but I would
Think you see my point by now. If not, bless your heart,is all I can say.

I wouldn't even try with some folks. But yes, all players contribute to the team. When we lose because that QB can't single handedly outscore the other team because the defense is bad. Or we lose by a point because the kicker cannot kick the extra point, folks will be complaining because NIL wasn't used to recruit those players.

Reactions: kell7517
Would the schools find any protection from being under the auspices of the NCAA?
Or would they be completely in collusion with the NCAA?
I'm not sure. I've seen the rumblings of this and the disaster for the NCAA is supposedly the triple damages.

I'm sure it's a legal mess if there's a class action lawsuit. How much COULD Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel or whoever have made legally with NIL?

It's a disaster for the NCAA and possibly the schools.

The bottom line of all this is: no matter how much we enjoyed college athletics, encouraging them to be a "Saturday TV event" and "March Madness" led to the players becoming very valuable to the elite programs. If the NCAA is in violation of Antitrust Law and has been for years, it'll get messy.

Reactions: SpookyAction

Yesterday's football is not today's football. Most games were NOT on television. The exposure was not there. The money was not there. Most of this craziness has exploded because of television exposure. We also are on the verge of too much exposure for all sports in general. Every year I question myself as to why I buy tickets to go sit in the stadium when I can watch from the comfort of my own home. Gone are the days of PPV where you paid the price of a ticket to watch. It is not always economical to spend the hundreds of dollars to attend in person.

Additionally, most believe that players have been given money under the covers all along. You think good lawyers aren't going to ask "how did you get that car you drove" etc.? Lots of dirty laundry will come out in the open. And I doubt it would be just the NCAA that would pay - it would be the universities, the networks where games were broadcast that would also be involved.

Some forget that the NCAA is an extension of college athletes and the rules there are agreed to by the universities and was created by the universities themselves. They are just as much responsible as that organization.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Here you go most intelligent one. The guys who make more are of more value? Because the qb, wr and rb aren’t any good if the OL isn’t doing their jobs. So an OL “value” should be just as high. No? Also it’s called a team. So why shouldn’t all players be paid the same? With scholarships, they are. And they “all” are representing the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Can go on but I would
Think you see my point by now. If not, bless your heart,is all I can say.
I must interject… yes l, they are representing the name on the front, but they are also representing the name on the back too. They are a representative/ambassador for their school or program, but they are developing their personage and representing who they are as well. To believe the players aren’t deserving of benefit from their name, image and likeness (as well as overall impact they have in their sport program & thus sales of school related merchandise, and eyes in front of commercials for televised games) would equate to saying you are not deserving of more pay for better performance in your chosen profession.

There will be lawsuits - I expect the female athletes and those athletes in sports that get cut or don't benefit from NIL asking why they don't get the same pay for the same job. There may be a day very soon where the only sports will be football and men's basketball.
Since no athlete is currently drawing a salary for playing a sport, that's a non starter.

NIL is based on the value or anticipated value of an endorsement. Thus, Title IX or the Olympic sports have no standing with anything to do with NIL.

I must interject… yes l, they are representing the name on the front, but they are also representing the name on the back too. They are a representative/ambassador for their school or program, but they are developing their personage and representing who they are as well. To believe the players aren’t deserving of benefit from their name, image and likeness (as well as overall impact they have in their sport program & thus sales of school related merchandise, and eyes in front of commercials for televised games) would equate to saying you are not deserving of more pay for better performance in your chosen profession.
Performance has zero to do with it. Nico reeling in millions of dollars before he even puts on a college jersey. I’m saying the kids are already getting paid by receiving a scholarship and extra benefits the UNIVERSITY is providing. If the NIL thing is the way they want the money. Then They should pay for their education.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
Performance has zero to do with it. Nico reeling in millions of dollars before he even puts on a college jersey. I’m saying the kids are already getting paid by receiving a scholarship and extra benefits the UNIVERSITY is providing. If the NIL thing is the way they want the money. Then They should pay for their education.
He doesn’t get that money just for showing up. To my knowledge, nobody has seen his NIL contracts, so you don’t know how he makes the money or if he makes all of it. So stop with the hysterics.

He doesn’t get that money just for showing up. To my knowledge, nobody has seen his NIL contracts, so you don’t know how he makes the money or if he makes all of it. So stop with the hysterics.
Pound sand!! It’s been on here many times what he’s getting. And obviously you don’t either. So again. Pound sand!!

Pound sand!! It’s been on here many times what he’s getting. And obviously you don’t either. So again. Pound sand!!
Pound sand because I don’t care why the guy on our team is on our team? Who cares what he gets for NIL? If you don’t like him or the new rules, then feel free to “pound sand” and not watch UT football anymore.

I dont care what he gets in NIL and never said I did. You just put your 2 cents worth in and it wasn’t worth anything. And tell me not to watch the Vols again. What are you 7/8 years old?

No one forces the school to offer ANY of this. Why do you blame the players? Your problem is with the schools who've offered scholarships AND arranged for players to be paid for decades.

How is this the fault of the players?

Your beef is with UT. You think they shouldn't pay players and accept the hit in talent? What's your plan for the school?

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
No one forces the school to offer ANY of this. Why do you blame the players? Your problem is with the schools who've offered scholarships AND arranged for players to be paid for decades.

How is this the fault of the players?

Your beef is with UT. You think they shouldn't pay players and accept the hit in talent? What's your plan for the school?
Dude. I’m not blaming the players. I’m tired of hearing “about time the players are getting paid” when they are. That’s exactly what a scholarship and the extra benefits of being a student-athlete is. Not seeing how hard that is to sink into someone’s head.

And if you don’t think this NIL stuff is gonna ruin college sports, then I don’t not what else to tell
You. You’ve seen how NIL affected the outcome of our USCjr game 2 years ago went when:rumored someone was mad because another was reeling in more money than others. And egos are gonna be a bigger problem
The more this money continues to increase.

Dude. I’m not blaming the players. I’m tired of hearing “about time the players are getting paid” when they are. That’s exactly what a scholarship and the extra benefits of being a student-athlete is. Not seeing how hard that is to sink into someone’s head.
What's not sinking in is that they've BEEN getting paid but now you can see it. That's all that seems to be bothering you, unless you've been under a rock for decades.

Seriously, do you think this JUST started with NIL?

VN Store

Back