What other message boards are saying (NC State Pre Game Edition)

This sounds so much like comments made when Jones was still HC.

One of the things I really love about Heupel... is that I don't think UT has overlooked anyone since he became HC. He seems to have a way of both acknowledging that the Vols are a better team without letting the team go under prepared.
I said it when we hired him… the nature of his offense does not allow you to overlook teams… we have to be fully locked in to operate at that tempo then that culture just flows over to the defense and now we have a legit team who beats the teams we are supposed to beat.

Gotta know NC State's place in the ACC.

There's the whole Clemson-FSU-Miami thing riding over the top of the Wolfpack, a tier they never reach. Kinda like anyone other than Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State in the B10. It's just not attainable, that upper tier.

And then there are the four horsemen of North Carolina. NC State is the younger brother, but not the bastard child (that's Wake Forest). They both have to sit in the back seat while their big brother, UNC, drives and dominates the conversation. Unless the topic is basketball, and then Duke's right up front with the Tarheels.

So now NC State is buried beneath two higher stratified layers of the conference. Even when they think they're gonna have a great year, something deep in their psyche tells them they can only get so far.

And that's perhaps why they're the "most realistic" of opponents we've seen in the last few years. They're primed to be this way.

In the Army, I had several friends who were Wolfpack grads. They all lived in this complex mental state when it came to sports.

Go Vols!
Well done, JP! (And all the while, ECU holds everyone's beers.😉)

I don't expect a really easy game.

I do expect us to wear them down and pull away in the 4th qtr.

I also think our boys need a fairly tough game to get better prepared for the Ok. Sooners because they WILL be a really tough team to beat and I really wonder if HCJH will have loads or memories running through his head and get a bit distracted at times.

I would expect our HC to have a laser focus on getting us the WIN but you can never tell how many years of memories will have a emotional effect on someone.

He was their QB and he did lead then to a National Championship and he probably should have Won the HeisTman and he did coach there for a few years.

I just hope he can put all of that into a lockbox and put the Sooners where they belong...Behind us on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

VFL...GBO!!!

only thing I’ll find interesting in this game is the test on the secondary.

Maybe throw the d line game a little and test the secondary ;)

I also think our boys need a fairly tough game to get better prepared for the Ok. Sooners because they WILL be a really tough team to beat and I really wonder if HCJH will have loads or memories running through his head and get a bit distracted at times.

I would expect our HC to have a laser focus on getting us the WIN but you can never tell how many years of memories will have a emotional effect on someone.

He was their QB and he did lead then to a National Championship and he probably should have Won the HeisTman and he did coach there for a few years.

I just hope he can put all of that into a lockbox and put the Sooners where they belong...Behind us on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

VFL...GBO!!!
The 4th quarter? If we pull away in the 4th, it is going to be a long season. This game should never be in doubt after the 1st.

Last edited:
Even SCAR in 2022 we didn’t overlook them, our defensive backs came out flat and the SC wide receivers caught absolutely anything thrown their way. We have an even average defensive game and we had put up enough points to have won it.
People can believe what they like... but I believe the "theory" that Michigan gave USCe UT's signals. That team flat out wasn't good enough to do that to UT.

VFL...GBO!!!
Agree. Norman is going to be wired for their first SEC game and Josh coming back to town. I’m sure he’s gonna have the Vols ready for that one. Should be a great atmosphere.

This line has me confused that I'm unsure about betting. After watching some of their game and ours, I would have thought the line would be closer to 10-12, not 5.5. Vegas never loses so its got me puzzled. I'll watch and see where the money goes before betting, if at all.

Yes Vegas doesn't lose; but they are very tricky with line movement. If that line doesn't hit 10 by kickoff, we know vegas is sandbagging, trying to make us think. Just like they already got you thinking. Western Carolina is Chattanooga; or worse.

I don’t think we have overlooked anyone, but we have laid some eggs on the road - SC22, UF23, Missouri23. That said, I think we win this one by a couple of TDs.

VFL...GBO!!!
I'm hearing they have something special planned for Heupel's return. The fans there still love him. Hopefully it's just something pregame before the Vols take the field and not some sort of distraction after they've left the locker room.

I said it when we hired him… the nature of his offense does not allow you to overlook teams… we have to be fully locked in to operate at that tempo then that culture just flows over to the defense and now we have a legit team who beats the teams we are supposed to beat.

I don't care what you call it... overlooking a team, playing flat, weather impact, whatever. Just want to see us not have "that" game, in particular, "that" road fiasco. Ref: USCjr, Fla, Mizzou.
Having said that, I don't think the NC State game is "that" kind of game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Don't drink the rat poison. Come out against them as if they insulted your mom, threw rocks at your brand-new car, and stole the lemon oatmeal cookies your woman made for you.

I don’t think we have overlooked anyone, but we have laid some eggs on the road - SC22, UF23, Missouri23. That said, I think we win this one by a couple of TDs.
Missouri was not an egg....Missouri was a good team last year. I think Florida happened because Ccoper was out.

VN Store

Back