What other message boards are saying (NC State Pre Game Edition)

Missouri was not an egg....Missouri was a good team last year. I think Florida happened because Ccoper was out.
Missouri was good but not good enough to beat us like that. Coop and Mincey out hurt for UF and USCjr had our plays and we had locker room issues. So, there were reasons in each case, but my point is that we are not above having bad games on the road.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I don't care what you call it... overlooking a team, playing flat, weather impact, whatever. Just want to see us not have "that" game, in particular, "that" road fiasco. Ref: USCjr, Fla, Mizzou.
Having said that, I don't think the NC State game is "that" kind of game.
Also the Bama road game last year we showed out 1st half leading 20 to 07 and then we looked like we did at Missouri 2nd half, Bama outscored us 27 to 00 for final of 34 to 20. That's 3 and half road games that are hard to get a grip on what happened.

Gotta know NC State's place in the ACC.

There's the whole Clemson-FSU-Miami thing riding over the top of the Wolfpack, a tier they never reach. Kinda like anyone other than Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State in the B10. It's just not attainable, that upper tier.

And then there are the four horsemen of North Carolina. NC State is the younger brother, but not the bastard child (that's Wake Forest). They both have to sit in the back seat while their big brother, UNC, drives and dominates the conversation. Unless the topic is basketball, and then Duke's right up front with the Tarheels.

So now NC State is buried beneath two higher stratified layers of the conference. Even when they think they're gonna have a great year, something deep in their psyche tells them they can only get so far.

And that's perhaps why they're the "most realistic" of opponents we've seen in the last few years. They're primed to be this way.

In the Army, I had several friends who were Wolfpack grads. They all lived in this complex mental state when it came to sports.

Go Vols!

They’re just one Phil Knight from turning it upside down.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I have family who went to NC State, I went to one of their basketball games and Stanley cup playoff games like 20 years ago, back when it was called the RBC Center. I like NC State, but they are not ready for my Vols.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We were never anywhere close to that deflated. One endearing characteristic of Vol fans is that we always seem to scrape ourselves off the pavement when necessary and find some hope.
I don’t know, man. After Fooley, Butch’s self aggrandizing and flame out in his last season, then followed by cornbread himself……a lot of us were pretty, pretty close. I was Google searching local therapists!

I remember how arrogant they were sounding in this very type of thread back in 2013 and we smoked them then. They were all about their CB, Amerson I think, and we scored with ease.
Patterson pretty much knocked him out of the first round.

Reactions: PA Vol
Also the Bama road game last year we showed out 1st half leading 20 to 07 and then we looked like we did at Missouri 2nd half, Bama outscored us 27 to 00 for final of 34 to 20. That's 3 and half road games that are hard to get a grip on what happened.
They had more depth, that had stronger rotations, they had more talent.

-I know the WCU game was only one game, but I do not have the warm and fuzzies about Tennessee game. If I was a betting man I would put it on Tennessee to cover.

-I might feel a smidge better if we manhandled WCU. Struggling to assert dominance until the 4th quarter may be typical for a Doeren led opener but nonetheless worrisome. We don't usually win games like Tennessee.

-I've never felt like we were going to beat Tennessee...just hope we can keep the score respectable and not lose by more than 10. Right now, I don't think we will keep it within 21.

-We should probably stop scheduling games against big programs at the beginning of the season. We just don’t fare well.

-The simple fact is, we always start slowly. Not a complaint, just a statement regarding our situation. Is what it is. Let’s at least amass some wins at the start in order to build confidence and experience.

-Tennessee is going to look past the Pack just like the Pack looked past the Cats. 24 - 21 Pack.

-UT is a lot better at home, i'm sure they travel well but i wonder if this neutral site being in NC will give us any advantage.

-If you want easy money, you turn your head at the betting window and take Tennessee.

-Tennessee is going to roll us. They are easily a top 2 team in the nation.

-Tennessee will win by 20 plus, it is what it is.

-Against the Vols, we need our kicker to kick every kickoff out of the end zone. We need zero turnovers, minimal penalties, and no stupid penalties.

-I have zero hope after seeing Tennessee yesterday, their qb didn’t even play the 2nd half and won the damn Heisman.

-This game is going to be like the gator bowl game against Texas A&M, a blowout. We lose 56-21.

-I saw way too much from UT yesterday to even think we have a prayer on Saturday night. Tennessee is a playoff team and likely a national title contender.

-WCU beat Chattanooga 52-50 last Oct. Chattanooga scored more points on them than we did.

-Did y’all see those Tennessee offensive and defensive lines? They will destroy us.

-Those Tennessee receivers will have a field day.

-Tennessee travels very well, they’ll out number us, there’s zero advantage.

-That Nico kid is one of the absolute best college qb’s ever and they will torch us.

-I want to feel good about this one, but if we couldn’t pressure WCU, what makes anyone think we can pressure Tennessee?

-Tennessee’s first string may sit out the 2nd half of this one too. Tennessee is a damn good football team and may be even better than they were in 2022.

-Show up, tailgate and have fun, but we ain’t winning this one.

-Tennessee was very nice yesterday, they could’ve easily scored 100. They’re good and we’re not, it’s a loss.

DJ Burns will probably be keeping a close eye on this game.

Reactions: NetworkVol
-I know the WCU game was only one game, but I do not have the warm and fuzzies about Tennessee game. If I was a betting man I would put it on Tennessee to cover.

-I might feel a smidge better if we manhandled WCU. Struggling to assert dominance until the 4th quarter may be typical for a Doeren led opener but nonetheless worrisome. We don't usually win games like Tennessee.

-I've never felt like we were going to beat Tennessee...just hope we can keep the score respectable and not lose by more than 10. Right now, I don't think we will keep it within 21.

-We should probably stop scheduling games against big programs at the beginning of the season. We just don’t fare well.

-The simple fact is, we always start slowly. Not a complaint, just a statement regarding our situation. Is what it is. Let’s at least amass some wins at the start in order to build confidence and experience.

-Tennessee is going to look past the Pack just like the Pack looked past the Cats. 24 - 21 Pack.

-UT is a lot better at home, i'm sure they travel well but i wonder if this neutral site being in NC will give us any advantage.

-If you want easy money, you turn your head at the betting window and take Tennessee.

-Tennessee is going to roll us. They are easily a top 2 team in the nation.

-Tennessee will win by 20 plus, it is what it is.

-Against the Vols, we need our kicker to kick every kickoff out of the end zone. We need zero turnovers, minimal penalties, and no stupid penalties.

-I have zero hope after seeing Tennessee yesterday, their qb didn’t even play the 2nd half and won the damn Heisman.

-This game is going to be like the gator bowl game against Texas A&M, a blowout. We lose 56-21.

-I saw way too much from UT yesterday to even think we have a prayer on Saturday night. Tennessee is a playoff team and likely a national title contender.

-WCU beat Chattanooga 52-50 last Oct. Chattanooga scored more points on them than we did.

-Did y’all see those Tennessee offensive and defensive lines? They will destroy us.

-Those Tennessee receivers will have a field day.

-Tennessee travels very well, they’ll out number us, there’s zero advantage.

-That Nico kid is one of the absolute best college qb’s ever and they will torch us.

-I want to feel good about this one, but if we couldn’t pressure WCU, what makes anyone think we can pressure Tennessee?

-Tennessee’s first string may sit out the 2nd half of this one too. Tennessee is a damn good football team and may be even better than they were in 2022.

-Show up, tailgate and have fun, but we ain’t winning this one.

-Tennessee was very nice yesterday, they could’ve easily scored 100. They’re good and we’re not, it’s a loss.

My little brother is flying into Charlotte Saturday to go to the game with me. He is a nuclear engineer NCSU grad. We went to ATL last time we beat up the Pack, with my other little brother and my Dad. Both are sadly now deceased, may God rest their souls. Will be just my remaining brother and I this time. We are gonna have a great time! He pulls for UT when they play anyone but NCSU, and has both lived in Knoxville and attended several games at Neyland. Super excited for Saturday night.

That said, NCSU fans are a level headed bunch unlike most of our rivals. They don't expect to beat us. They do expect to contend for the ACC title this season. They have been right on the cusp with 8-4 to 9-3 type records every season. They have a good coach that makes the most out of much weaker classes than what we recruit. Honestly I hope they do win the ACC this season. Screw Clemson, FSU, and Miami. Cant stand any of those 3 teams or fanbases.

See yall in Charlotte, folks. Sadly I have lived over here for 30+ years as a displaced Tennessean.

Isnt it great to see other fanbases at P4 schools saying " Did you see the size of their Oline and Dline? We dont stand a chance." Wasn't long ago that Bama lines were revered like that by our fanbase. So great to be back like the 90s when our roster was as good as anyone, and our lines intimidated everyone.

Gotta know NC State's place in the ACC.

There's the whole Clemson-FSU-Miami thing riding over the top of the Wolfpack, a tier they never reach. Kinda like anyone other than Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State in the B10. It's just not attainable, that upper tier.

And then there are the four horsemen of North Carolina. NC State is the younger brother, but not the bastard child (that's Wake Forest). They both have to sit in the back seat while their big brother, UNC, drives and dominates the conversation. Unless the topic is basketball, and then Duke's right up front with the Tarheels.

So now NC State is buried beneath two higher stratified layers of the conference. Even when they think they're gonna have a great year, something deep in their psyche tells them they can only get so far.

And that's perhaps why they're the "most realistic" of opponents we've seen in the last few years. They're primed to be this way.

In the Army, I had several friends who were Wolfpack grads. They all lived in this complex mental state when it came to sports.

Go Vols!
I wouldn’t put Penn state in the top half of the big 10 until
They exactly beat Michigan or Ohio state that’s there two losses every year

VN Store

Back