What other message boards are saying (Oklahoma Pre Game Edition)

What people really don't get is that, like in a soccer tournament with goal differential, how you win matters. In a 12 team playoff starting the season on the outside looking in, you can't afford to hang around 10-12 and take a loss. You score as much as you possibly can to boost up into the top 5. Gives a cushion for a loss or two to a Georgia or Bama and still stay in the top 12.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What people really don't get is that, like in a soccer tournament with goal differential, how you win matters. In a 12 team playoff starting the season on the outside looking in, you can't afford to hang around 10-12 and take a loss. You score as much as you possibly can to boost up into the top 5. Gives a cushion for a loss or two to a Georgia or Bama and still stay in the top 12.
Not to mention #5 & #6 are the only at-large that get home field advantage

I'm sorry, but I thought that CJH handled the score very well. Nico was out before halftime, and I'm not sure if any starters saw any playing time in the second half. I heard on the radio that we played every player that dressed out - at least in defense anyway. We played our 5th-string QB for crying out loud. What do they want the guy to do? And IMO the onside kick served double-duty. Running it for real BEFORE you need it in a game, and to make OU think about every time we kick off after a score.
We played 104 players in total.

The team went out and played at a 100%. Don't let anybody criticize a player's effort. This is the Culture. No let up No taking for granted. The score is what it is. Every player gave it their best effort. Great Environment. Only criticism heard comes from future opponents, sad for them. I hope we get 60 pts on Oklahoma and any other team we play.

A bunch of them can cry me a river. I’ve seen them do the same thing to lesser opponents. It’s the climate of college football these days.

I like the comparison to Burrow and LSU. I was wondering last week if OU might have sand bagged a bit, I don’t think they have. I think they have some issues that Heupel will absolutely exploit.

I can’t wait to hear them whine we put up 60. I’ve had plenty in my comments on YouTube from the last episode we did, talking about how we’re going to get dragged and they’re so much better than we are. It’s gotten real quiet.

Go damn Vols baby!
Oh, you're a VolTuber? Mine plugging your info so I can check it out? Thanks!

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
I read that the staff even told the announcer to expect it in a pregame meeting, I'll share if I can find it again. They probably didn't expect it to happen when we were up by 30.
The only thing I don't like is we showed our reads against an opponent that was already beaten. I get the desire to "practice" it in a game situation but now its out there and won't surprise anyone. Maybe just a Kent State specific thing but would be useful against anyone who we scout isn't lined up correctly or not paying attention.

It’s very bizarre to me when people get offended when a team runs up the score on a team they don’t even cheer for. I HATE Alabama, and not once have I felt some indignation on behalf of some directional school they’re beating 55-0. My guess would be that it’s fear expressing itself as anger
Kent State didn't care. They got paid good money for a game they knew was going to go that way. We ran the onside kick cause we needed an ingame run on one in case there's a need in a big game.

- 'I believe the TN defense is over-rated right now. Hopefully our offense will turn and burn'.
Remember that statement. This game will not be an indicator of it. The Defense has better teamwork than I have seen in the past 20+years. Hitting, depth and assignment football. Lethal.

-Running an onside kick when up 30-0? And he had the gall to whine about the refs last year after being the biggest beneficiary of sec reffing the year before with Jason Autry’s crew? I’ll cheer on anybody that can mug this team. Heupel is a douche.

-I hope we skull drag them. Heupel is an absolutely, classless dick running up that score tonight against probably the worst team in college football.

-Simple. One doesn’t perform an onside kick when up 30-0 on a clearly overmatched opponent. If they get you into a fourth down, you kick and move on.
Everything one puts out there: good, bad or indifferent, it always comes back on you.

-I’m was watching Tennessee and I’ve lost respect for Josh. Up by 30 in the first quarter & kick an onside kick and recover it. Then, keep your starters in up 37-0 in the second & score a touchdown on 4th and 1 from way out.
UT scored 6 points in the second half... AFTER Kent State refused to shorten the game. I'm not sure if Heupel was making a point with their coach by doing that or just getting it on film for development. Either way, the Vols could have easily scored over 100 and NOT put the starters back in.

To say UT ran the score up is to ignore how truly bad Kent State is. I wish UT had had a better opponent but I think that game was signed before they were total trash. I feel sorry for them. How do you rebuild from where they are?

I highly doubt the kicker has the green light to call an audible for an onside kick. Highly doubt....
My understanding is that it depends on the alignment of the receiving team. Kent State had a gaping hole in the front line and the kicker saw it and called the audible. I believe he has that option.

This is the thing I find myself wondering about the Bama, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, and so on fans: do they realize this ISN'T a one-off thing? Are they paying attention enough to see that Tennessee is going to be competing for championships every year through the foreseeable future?

Do they get that Josh Heupel plans on camping on top of the mountain for at least the next couple of decades?

Can they sense all that?

Or do they just think we're "a problem" for them this season?

Heh.

This is something to really look forward to.

Go Vols!
Just win baby and everything else falls into place. Sixty minutes of game time Saturday night in Norman. We either rise to the top and prove the doubters wrong, or we read our own press clippings too much and prove the doubters correct.
Eight months of prognostications, analyses, trash talk, and hope all come down to exactly 3,600 seconds.
Get er done boys 👍

This is the thing I find myself wondering about the Bama, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, and so on fans: do they realize this ISN'T a one-off thing? Are they paying attention enough to see that Tennessee is going to be competing for championships every year through the foreseeable future?

Do they get that Josh Heupel plans on camping on top of the mountain for at least the next couple of decades?

Can they sense all that?

Or do they just think we're "a problem" for them this season?

Heh.

This is something to really look forward to.

Go Vols!
They all thought 2022 was a flash in the pan "one-off". They're about to find out...:cool:

I highly doubt the kicker has the green light to call an audible for an onside kick. Highly doubt....
Jordan Rogers seemed to think it’s an automatic call by the kicker when he sees that coverage. Not saying it is or isn’t but they were begging for it to happen lining up 20 yards off.

VN Store

Back