What other message boards are saying (Post Iowa Edition)

I just read thru 75% of the Iowa message board. Sad , but also funny, how they started talking about how it was going to be easy with so many of our players out for injuries, portal, or opt out. Then complaining that we should take Nico out at 28-0 because we shouldn't keep running up the score. Cry babies!

Got to be depressing being an Iowa football fan. Boring schedule, boring scheme, tough to compete.

Reactions: feathersax
Ever since the matchup was announced I saw an exaggerated amount of smack talk from Iowa fans.. I kept wondering how they thought they were gonna score points when they haven’t all season..
I think that's called "gettin' while the gettin's good."

The game was close through the coin toss.

Lucky you. My grand uncle was the principal of my elementary school. He called his paddle “Big Lick”. Oak, 30 inches long , and 6 holes drilled in it. The mere thought of Big Lick smacking my backside kept me in check in school!🏫
Greenback Principal Bruce Hinton in the early 60's had one also. I think 6 holes was the template for discipline back then. I was sent to his office he showed it to me and then smacked the top of his desk with it. That's all I needed to see and hear from that day forward...

Dude. UT was down 3 starting OLs plus key back ups. They were down their leading two rushers. They've been without 2 of their 4 top WRs most of the year. In reality, UT had 4 scholarship WRs healthy and ready to play. And... the Vols had a Fr starting his first game at QB. You didn't even face the best version of a UT O that took a step back from last year. That Vol O put 383 yds on that vaunted D... over 100 more than your season average. By and large Iowa's D ranking is a product of playing slow and bad offenses except for 2 games... and this one.

Playing in any other conference or even the East division of the Big 10... Iowa isn't even a top 30 D... maybe not top 50.

It is kind of like I told one of your fans a few weeks ago. It isn't that Iowa doesn't have some very good players. #13 is a very good play. But those stars are more or less matched by UT's "stars". The difference is the talent and ability of all those guys around them. And honestly in this game... Heupel's scheme was simply better than Iowa's D or their defensive players. The Vols spread your guys out. They put stress on your D by forcing you to show either a light or heavy box. The only way teams beat that is to have dominant guys inside who can stop the run with a light box or guys fast enough at S to play the space between the WRs and tackles. Iowa doesn't have any of that. The only thing that could have beaten UT's scheme in this game was a lot of mistakes by the players. They didn't make them today.
Agree with this other than the part about Iowa not being a "top 30 D".

I thought Iowa's defense looked pretty good today in spite of the final score. We basically got 14 points off of turnovers and good special teams play. And I'm not so sure that a lesser QB is able to score the other 21. I think we have to settle for a FG or two if Nico didn't scramble so well. So in reality, Iowa's D gave up 21 points and if we had a lesser QB in there, it might've been 17 or 13. Most of the advanced stats have their D ranked in the top 10 and I think that's fair. In fact, they are #5 on defensive efficiency, which factors in SoS. So their D is absolutely elite. And they showed it by getting pressure on Nico throughout the game and holding him to 151 yards passing.

They also showed it against Michigan. Their D held #1 Michigan to 16 points. Michigan got an additional 10 points off of Iowa's offensive turnovers.

Their offense makes the D look worse than it is; it's completely horrid. That was, quite frankly, the worst offense I think we've played all year. Starting QB was terrible. He's literally ranked dead last in QBR. I'm pretty sure he would be 4th string QB at best if he were here. No way he's better than Gaston Moore.

The fact that we were able to successfully move the ball against an elite D is a good sign for next season.

Last edited:
Iowa needs to completely shake up their offense. Maybe go to a spread system or something. The play calling wasn't their biggest problem imo.

Umm.....the ghost of Bear Bryant would disagree.

And the ghost would be wrong. Stoops has been to 8 straight bowls in 11 seasons. Bryant only had 5 bowls in 9 seasons. Records while at Kentucky are similar and Stoops has done it in a much more competitive SEC than Bryant dealt with and with recruiting restrictions Bryant didn’t have.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Before they game they called their QB a fat turnover machine

After the game they called him a fat turnover machine

VN Store

Back