What should happen to members of Congress who aided in the breach of the Capitol?

What should happen to a member of Congress who in any significant way assisted the rioters?

• Forced to resign and if refuse is impeached

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Criminally charged

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Face civil liability for the five deaths

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Evidence increasingly coming out that several GOP members of Congress assisted the rioters to varying degrees in breaching the Capitol and rioting. Showing them weaknesses and entries and exits to secure areas, that sort of thing. If it is shown that a member of Congress, for example was aware that a group of persons were planning to breach areas of the Capitol where the public is not allowed so as to thwart the process of counting electoral votes, what should happen to that member of Congress?
let's start with the list of people you think "aided" the breaching of the capitol

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Bold my emphasis. It's not a new law.

Funny how a "government of the people and for the people" needs to have laws to protect itself from 2 people talking about overthrowing it.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Evidence increasingly coming out that several GOP members of Congress assisted the rioters to varying degrees in breaching the Capitol and rioting. Showing them weaknesses and entries and exits to secure areas, that sort of thing. If it is shown that a member of Congress, for example was aware that a group of persons were planning to breach areas of the Capitol where the public is not allowed so as to thwart the process of counting electoral votes, what should happen to that member of Congress?
This is the left version of Q IMO

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Bold my emphasis. It's not a new law.
Thanks for the info. That much legalese is pretty encapsulating.

So an honest protest, not that this was, would be sedition. Yay government.

I wonder how this is applied to elected officials as well? Or non elected. I guess it boils down to a Johm Marshall situation.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
No, it's terrorism according to some.
Which Piegeon Holes nicely with the Patriot Act.

It was a riot, with property destruction and loss of life. In that regard it's wrong. No two ways about it.

Personally it doesnt quiet get to the point of sedition, but that's just me. Mainly because they dont have to be in the Capitol to do their job. Unless there is some more legalese I am not aware of.

Now if they had kidnapped some members of Congress, or stolen the only copies of the votes, and were refusing to let them go, I would see sedition on top of everything else.

Which Piegeon Holes nicely with the Patriot Act.

It was a riot, with property destruction and loss of life. In that regard it's wrong. No two ways about it.

Personally it doesnt quiet get to the point of sedition, but that's just me. Mainly because they dont have to be in the Capitol to do their job. Unless there is some more legalese I am not aware of.

Now if they had kidnapped some members of Congress, or stolen the only copies of the votes, and were refusing to let them go, I would see sedition on top of everything else.

Again, we're repeating history...

Thanks for the info. That much legalese is pretty encapsulating.

So an honest protest, not that this was, would be sedition. Yay government.

I wonder how this is applied to elected officials as well? Or non elected. I guess it boils down to a Johm Marshall situation.
The key word is force, which would prevent it being applied to an honest protest. People who were peacefully protesting at the Capitol should not be charged with sedition, only those who used force or conspired to use force.

They should be flayed alive and quartered. And their families should be sent to labor camps for life.

The key word is force, which would prevent it being applied to an honest protest. People who were peacefully protesting at the Capitol should not be charged with sedition, only those who used force or conspired to use force.
Define force. If people daisy chained themselves all around the building so Congress couldnt enter, would that be force? Or if they had just entered and then done chants but not physically got in the way?

I am just one that is pretty generally going to side with the little people over the government. The actual members of Congress were not interfered with, could just be because they got away, but none were accosted. And that distinction matters, to me at least

VN Store

Back