What was our best RB combo/depth chart in history?

Jasongivm6

Cobb/Webb?
Garner/Hayden/Stewart?
Lewis/Henry/Stephens?

Any other combos worth mentioning?

Wasn't Foster/Coker/Hardesty at the same time? Also Cedric Houston and Gerald Riggs Jr both had 1000 yard seasons in the same backfield.

I'm kinda partial to Lewis/Henry/Stephens

I guess it also depends on the production while here or their potential or what they did in the NFL

Reactions: 1 person
This is a VERY tough question. It's hard to impress upon the younger Vols just how good Chuck Webb was.

Cobb/Webb

Reactions: 5 people
Cobb/Webb !!
The glory days!
Lewis and 2 Travis got us a national championship!
Stewart and Riggs 2 1000 rushers. Hard to leave them out.

Good post OP!

This is a VERY tough question. It's hard to impress upon the younger Vols just how good Chuck Webb was.

Cobb/Webb

Hard to say just how good Webb was going to be before his knee injury.
I think mentally he just couldn't recover.
Wasn't he a sophomore when he got injured?

If you're talking depth Garner, Hayden, Stewart and Graham...production hands down Cobb Webb and Tony Thompson
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
I think we were spoiled with the Cobb/Webb/Thompson/Stewart/Hayden/Garner/Graham/Lewis/Henry/Stephens years..back to back to back to back

Reactions: 2 people
Lewis/Henry/Stephens

This was the crew that led us to the National Championship! This was an awesome trio!

Cobb/Webb was probably the most talented.

However don't discount the combo of Cedric Houston/Gerald Riggs Jr. Two 1000+ yard rushers in one season.

I have to say Cobb-Webb just because of the name factor.
But they really should have played for the Richmond Spiders.

Hard to say just how good Webb was going to be before his knee injury.
I think mentally he just couldn't recover.
Wasn't he a sophomore when he got injured?

Yes, split half of his Freshman year with Cobb until Reggie had to leave, then dominated the rest of the year. Finished 1989 with 209 carries for 1,236 yards with 12 TD.

Got hurt in the second game of 1990, on a freak play where no one touched him, made a cut and the knee buckled, much like Justin Hunter's did. Probably could have recovered better with today's technology.

He had a great game in the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas, but the one I remember most was in Neyland against Ole Miss.

"WEBB RUNS ALL OVER OLE MISS" | The Vol Historian | GoVolsXtra.com

Lewis/Henry/Stephens

They get a lot of credit for 1998, but the thing about those guys was that Stephens didn't carry it all that much and they were together even less time than Cobb/Webb. Lewis went down in about game 4.

One of our problems is we haven't had a feature TB like the studs mentioned in this thread, J.H. seems to be cut from that fabric. :crossfingers::

All the Cobb/Webb people forget that there was a third back also who never got to see the field because of the talent above him. When he did get a chance in '90, all he did was lead the SEC in rushing. The back was none other than Tony Thompson.

VN Store

Back