What was our best RB combo/depth chart in history?

This is an easy question. The best backfield that we have ever had was at the beginning of the '98 season. Everyone remembers Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, and Jamal Lewis, but people forget about Shawn Bryson. The fact that our FB went on to start at RB for an NFL team (albeit for the Lions and for one season) shows what an embarrassment of riches we had that year.

Reactions: 6 people
Wasn't Foster/Coker/Hardesty at the same time? Also Cedric Houston and Gerald Riggs Jr both had 1000 yard seasons in the same backfield.

I'm kinda partial to Lewis/Henry/Stephens

I guess it also depends on the production while here or their potential or what they did in the NFL
I came here to mention Houston and Riggs. I don't think they get the respect they deserve.

Reactions: 1 person
Has to be Cobb & Webb. They both had field vision, speed, and could accelerate/decelerate at the right time.. Fun to watch them go into a pack of tacklers and in an instant one of them would emerge and be gone....

We often forget about Bryson that backfield was sick also.

Last edited:
It is a shame what happened to Webb and nowadays he could have recovered. I remember I cried when he got hurt literally. I was 9 years old. He was by far the best single rb talent we had and it still bothers me and seems unfair. No telling what kind of numbers he would have posted. But he was complete package......

Anybody remember Keith Davis and William Howard? Davis ran a lot like Cobb, Howard like a battering ram pretty much. If it was 4th and 2 we were gonna get it.

Last edited:
I liked Davis and Howard, however while the Cobb/Webb lasted that was the most excited i remember our fan base-there were even t-shirts made about the two backs.

Bryson was one helluva blocker from the FB position . :aggressive:

Huh? Sarcasm? Yes he was the full back most of the time. Yes he was a helluva blocker. However, he ran the ball a lot and caught the ball maybe even more. Did you watch him play? He either clocked as fastest guy on team or definitely near the top. Occasionally he would line up in a single backfield as a tailback. Arguably the most versatile player to ever wear orange.

Shawn Bryson, a native of Franklin, N.C., was a senior and a captain in 1998. A starter in all 13 games, he produced 367 yards of offense and scored five touchdowns from the fullback position. He lettered four seasons on Rocky Top before moving on to the NFL.

A third-round selection in the 1999 NFL Draft by the Bills, he went on to play seven seasons in the league with the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions. He rushed for over 2,000 yards and caught more than 1,300 yards worth of passes during those years.

Last edited:
I came here to mention Houston and Riggs. I don't think they get the respect they deserve.

I used to love to watch Cedric Houston run! He always looked like he was giving it all he had on every single carry! Not the most talented back we ever had but there was no question about his effort!

Has to be Lewis/Henry/Stephens. You have the school's all time leading rusher (Henry), and single season leading rusher (Stephens) in that group. Then Jamal was the best of the 3. Hard to top that.

Cobb/Webb?
Garner/Hayden/Stewart?
Lewis/Henry/Stephens?

Any other combos worth mentioning?

Thought @ this a while back. Have to say 1999. Lewis backed up by Henry, sprinkled w Ontario Smith ... and Travis Stephens deciding to red shirt. Lord!

Last edited:
You guys know we played football before 1989 right? Mcevers, Laricella, Majors Cafego and a bunch of others did pretty well. we have a rich history.

Cobb and Webb had a pretty good back up in Tony Thompson. The year after Cobb was dismissed from the program and when Webb was injured in the 2nd game of the year, Thompson stepped up and led the SEC in rushing.

Cobb/Webb?
Garner/Hayden/Stewart?
Lewis/Henry/Stephens?

Any other combos worth mentioning?
Long time no see Jason. How you been doing? I'd have to go with Lewis/Henry/Stephens/Bryson simply because Cobb/Webb only played a few games together, and because of that championship.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Am I the only Vol fan that wasn't that impressed with Gerald Riggs Jr? To me he always seemed to tip-toe to the line instead of blasting through the hole full-throttle (twss.)

I don't think he was bad. Just not cut from the same cloth as Cobb/Webb/Henry/Lewis/Foster/Bryson/Hardesty/Houston/LITTLE MAN/AJ JOHNSON

Anybody remember Keith Davis and William Howard? Davis ran a lot like Cobb, Howard like a battering ram pretty much. If it was 4th and 2 we were gonna get it.

I went to HS with Keith Davis. He was a damn good RB in the glory days of John Overton football.

VN Store

Back