What was the most memorable/best UT game you've ever attended?

Jumping the wall of the 1998 Florida game...was 20 rows up in the endzone where overtime was played...dead center of the crossbar.

Then the 1998 Arkansas game.

37 years old and been to more games than I can count since I was 4....just can't remember any other games in person that had more emotional energy nor more on the line than those 2 games.

This... and the cal beatdown were definitely the loudest Ive seen neyland.

Wins below are best. Losses/ties are some of most memorable.

85 Auburn
85 Ga Tech (6-6 tie)
86 Sugar Bowl Miami
86 Army (lost on blocked punt recovered for TD at end of game)
89 Auburn (Cobb Webb)
90 Auburn (tie)
90 Florida (45-3)
90 Bama (9-6) loss
90 Notre Dame (Rocket) loss
91 Florida loss - first visit to swamp
95 Bama 41-14
96 Citrus (Ohio St)
96 Bama
98 Florida
98 Arky
99 Fiesta (FSU)
04 Florida
06 Cal

Wins below are best. Losses/ties are some of most memorable.

85 Auburn
85 Ga Tech (6-6 tie)
86 Sugar Bowl Miami
86 Army (lost on blocked punt recovered for TD at end of game)
89 Auburn (Cobb Webb)
90 Auburn (tie)
90 Florida (45-3)
90 Bama (9-6) loss
90 Notre Dame (Rocket) loss
91 Florida loss - first visit to swamp
95 Bama 41-14
96 Citrus (Ohio St)
96 Bama
98 Florida
98 Arky
99 Fiesta (FSU)
04 Florida
06 Cal
Looking at this list makes me so sad what we've been the last decade

Mine has to be the 98 South Carolina game where Tee Martin completed an SEC record 23 consecutive passes. That was cool to watch. He was in the zone.

Wuerffel 4 TDs
Manning 4 INTs

for me, it was 2002.

the crowd that day wanted (and expected) a blowout. spurrier was gone. tennessee beat florida the year before and, in truth, dominated the 2000 game despite losing. but, you could tell the stadium wanted revenge. that stadium wanted a chance to run up the score. losing was unthinkable.

florida had just gotten drilled by miami. game was at neyland and tennessee was ranked in the top 10, probably top 5 entering the day (don't recall the ranking).

took my father to the game. he'd never been to tennessee. we both expected a loss and to add insult to injury, we were going to/did get soaked by the rain.

it was 24-0 at the half. i heard language that day the would have made a sailor blush. it's a shame i couldn't write any of it down.

my father and i were happy and enjoyed something that we hadn't seen in years.....an unexpected win. we'd gotten used to being such heavy favorites, i forgot what it was like to be an underdog.

but, i never saw that many angry people leave a stadium. there is a difference between disappointment, shock and anger. that crowd was as ticked off as any crowd i had ever seen.

because of 2002 tennessee, 2002 georgia, and 2004 fsu, i can't really be too disrespectful of the zooker.

Last edited:
1982 bama, period. If you were there, you know. That game began the run to the top that occurred over the next couple decades. Truth.

Reactions: 2 people
for me, it was 2002.

the crowd that day wanted (and expected a blowout). spurrier was gone. tennessee beat florida the year before and, in truth, dominated the 2000 game despite losing. but, you could tell the stadium wanted revenge. that stadium wanted a chance to run up the score. losing was unthinkable.

florida had just gotten drilled by miami. game was at neyland and tennessee was ranked in the top 10, probably top 5 entering the day (don't recall the ranking).

took my father to the game. he'd never been to tennessee. we both expected a loss and to add insult to injury, we were going to/did get soaked by the rain.

it was 24-0 at the half. i heard language that day the would have made a sailor blush. it's a shame i couldn't write any of it down.

my father and i were happy and enjoyed something that we hadn't seen in years.....an unexpected win. we'd gotten used to being such heavy favorites, i forgot what it was like to be an underdog.

but, i never saw that many angry people leave a stadium. there is a difference between disappointment, shock and anger. that crowd was as ticked off as any crowd i had ever seen.

because of 2002 tennessee, 2002 georgia, and 2004 fsu, i can't really be too disrespectful of the zooker.

Ugh. What a lousy day. The main memories I have from that game are Casey Clausen fumbling what felt like 10 times in a row on the goal line, and that day being the first time I ever left a game in the 3rd quarter. The rain was awful and UT simply didn't show up to play. I can't recall ever being so overconfident about the outcome of a game as that one. With 10+ years of hindsight, that UT team was horribly overrated, and UF getting manhandled by Miami the week prior doesn't look as bad either considering that the 2002 Miami team could very possibly be the best college football team of my lifetime. Nobody knew either of those things at the time of the game though.

Legion Field when Peyton threw the 80 yard TD to Joey Kent to open the game! The Bammers were leaving in droves in the third quarter!

Sweet! GO VOLS!!

89 Auburn.............CobbWebb
Last game ever for UT at Legion Field.......97??
97 SEC champ game vs Auburn

If not the '85 Ut/Bama game, then the '97 game at Legion filed. Payton to Joey Kent across the middle on the first play of the game - 80 yds for a TD. Tennessee was up 21-0 before Bama knew what had hit them

Wuerffel 4 TDs
Manning 4 INTs

I remember back then when Gator fans said Wawful would be a king once he went pro....and Manning would be a bum because he mentally couldn't win big games....which team is that guy playing on now? How about Tebow too? How about Manning winning that Super Bowl ring against that other Florida QB....what was his name.....Picksman? No Grossman...knew it had a bad sound to it...he just throws more picks than completions that guy :yes:

1982 Bama - broke the streak
1985 vs #1 Auburn
1989 Vandy. Close close game & UT won as usual
1989 Auburn in the rain
1990 Florida ...45-3
1991 Auburn in the rain
1992 Florida in the rain
1997 Auburn SEC title game
1998 Florida no explaination needed
1998 Arkansas stumble fumble crumble
2004 Florida James Wilhoit
2006 Cal. Loudest Neyland has ever been the entire game

Let make some new GREATEST MEMORIES in the next few years!

Go bUTch
Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
I remember back then when Gator fans said Wawful would be a king once he went pro....and Manning would be a bum because he mentally couldn't win big games....which team is that guy playing on now? How about Tebow too? How about Manning winning that Super Bowl ring against that other Florida QB....what was his name.....Picksman? No Grossman...knew it had a bad sound to it...he just throws more picks than completions that guy :yes:

Do you really think you are making a gator fan angry by naming players who didn't have good pro careers, but lit up Tennessee while in college?

Why don't you make fun of Brandon James and Alex Brown while you are at it?

Looking at this list makes me so sad what we've been the last decade

I hear you...only thing that our recent history should do is give us all the perspective to enjoy the moment when we start winning again.

Remember too many wins in 90s that weren't impressive enough according to some people...pretty silly based on past 8 years

Been to games at Neyland but not SEC games-all nonconference games. Usually games that are winnable. Most of the games were blow outs, usually 4 TD's are more.
Saw one of my first games there back in the 70's when the Vols played Maryland. Believe that was a close one.

Do you really think you are making a gator fan angry by naming players who didn't have good pro careers, but lit up Tennessee while in college?

Just wait until Trey Burton fails to make an NFL roster...

His post just made me think of the Gator fans that ran their mouths back when Peyton was about to go pro. Just often wonder what those bum fans in Gainesville that kept running their weenis suckas say about him now is all....unwad your panties little gator troll...he went there and reminded me of it.

VN Store

Back