Where is Dont’e Thornton?

Let’s face it. NCS had no answer for our Defense After the first drive, the D controlled the game and set up the Offense for short drives. They had no answer for our running game and the TEs We overcame our bad decisions , especially our unnecessary penalties which were a drain on both sides of the line. Great game, but a lot of work to do before we go to Norman. We will get better and I see us winning that game.

I can agree with that to a degree but honestly a penalty or two that sends a message, I’m alright with. Like the block that the 2 o-lineman made all the way into the bench area of NC State. That’s sending a message. Yeah it cost us 15 yards but them boys on the other side of the ball realized real quick they were in for a long night.
Can’t disagree with this enough. Be a man - make your point with your legal play on the field and before the whistle. Games are too competitive to give opponents a free set of downs or to kill your own drives with stupid play.

I 100% love that this was true. What it means is Nico and the offense adapted to what was available. We heavily utilized the tight ends and the running game and still won by such a wide margin! Now teams are going to have to think twice playing so many DBs deep!
As some else pointed out, let's give credit to Hype & the coaches for the play calling and making the needed adjustments to make the game a W for us. Find their weaknesses and go for it. Although we all love to see the bombs, and them playing back to stop it gave us more room underneath for the short throws and runs. I've seen too many games in the past where the coaches did not make the adjustments and just run into the line 3 times in a row for minimal gain. Aside from Sampson, do we really have the depth we need at running back? If he goes down then I'm very concerned where we'll be.

It's weird that we won by 41 and Thornton/McCoy combined for 10 yards
And this is what has me so excited. What we saw was we not only have a run-first to open up the deep ball offense, but CJH has an entire heavy package when our WR’s are schemed against. I’m telling you, we saw a masterclass in coaching last night on both sides.

NC State schemed to take away the deep ball from WR. It worked except for when Squirrel got free. The deep passes were to the TE. Otherwise we ran the wheels off it. We only ran 67 plays. Partly because State opened with a long drive, and they gave us short fields off fumbles. Of those 67 we ran it 44 times and only threw 23 passes.

Reactions: ArdentVol
he was in for 20 plays and targeted once....it was a run heavy game 44 attempts to 23 passing attempts. TEs were the flavor of the day, they gave, we took.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If they were going to play a 3-3-5 we simply ran the ball and threw a lot of underneath stuff. Heupel’s offense exposes the areas you give him. And trying to play Tennessee straight up isn’t a easy task either. Because they spread you out. We are balanced!GBO

Can’t disagree with this enough. Be a man - make your point with your legal play on the field and before the whistle. Games are too competitive to give opponents a free set of downs or to kill your own drives with stupid play.
I believe we did just that. They laid the wood all night long and were way more physical than NC State. It’s kinda like the Blindside where Oher blocks the guy over the fence. It sends a message. Pili could have avoided doing that but the two guys blocking I have no problem with. To me it shows a passion. Yeah, it doesn’t need to be a habit but I want my team or whoever I’m pulling for to show me they mean business and want to be there and make it a long night for the other team. I’d rather see a penalty like that than some stupid PI bs penalty.

It was the Sampson & TE show.
I think Sampson is a great RB always gives 2nd and 3rd effort rarely goes down on first contact and falls forward
I think these things make a great back
Im glad he waited his turn and has great
Year and gets compensated well by NFL as a high draft pick GO VOLS.....

As some else pointed out, let's give credit to Hype & the coaches for the play calling and making the needed adjustments to make the game a W for us. Find their weaknesses and go for it. Although we all love to see the bombs, and them playing back to stop it gave us more room underneath for the short throws and runs. I've seen too many games in the past where the coaches did not make the adjustments and just run into the line 3 times in a row for minimal gain. Aside from Sampson, do we really have the depth we need at running back? If he goes down then I'm very concerned where we'll be.
Seldon was out for the game. (Don't know his actual injury, but he has two weeks to get healthy.) Bishop ran well as 2nd man, gave Sampson some rest. Keith mopped up at the end.

He had a pass to him that was a little long, if he had laid out he may have caught it up this game we pretty much took what NC gave us and ran the ball and put the TE's to work

Whoa…that was Thornton? In the end zone? I was screaming at that guy for not laying out and not even trying that hard. If he had, it looked like 6 points to me.

It's weird that we won by 41 and Thornton/McCoy combined for 10 yards

Was not the best outing for Nico on some of the long balls. However, he certain had a good game otherwise!! I guess you got to take what the defense gives you!

Whoa…that was Thornton? In the end zone? I was screaming at that guy for not laying out and not even trying that hard. If he had, it looked like 6 points to me.
Yeah that was Thornton, I said if he had laid out he may could have came up with that but guess he didn't want to risk an awkward fall and get injured this early in the season.

Imo, Thornton missed an opportunity to make a great “highlight” catch. He has to take advantage of those opportunities.
Besides, any D1 WR should be able to make an easy catch. If you have aspirations of playing in the NFL you need to show you can make the harder catches as well, or at least put forth the effort………

Doeren confirmed Heupel surprised them with TE formations: On how he feels they performed against Nico Iamaleava:

“They got into bigger personnel, something they haven’t done a lot on film. There was a lot of 12 personnel, two tight ends, one back tonight with their offense. And so, you know, credit them for changing up. ‘Cause you know, if you watch them, most of their formations you’re gonna see are four-wides or one tight end formations.”

Imo, Thornton missed an opportunity to make a great “highlight” catch. He has to take advantage of those opportunities.
Besides, any D1 WR should be able to make an easy catch. If you have aspirations of playing in the NFL you need to show you can make the harder catches as well, or at least put forth the effort………
Agreed. Until proven otherwise, I think we have some GOOD wide receivers but no GREAT wide receiver.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yeah that was Thornton, I said if he had laid out he may could have came up with that but guess he didn't want to risk an awkward fall and get injured this early in the season.

Scared money can’t win and scared football players don’t win.

I can agree with that to a degree but honestly a penalty or two that sends a message, I’m alright with. Like the block that the 2 o-lineman made all the way into the bench area of NC State. That’s sending a message. Yeah it cost us 15 yards but them boys on the other side of the ball realized real quick they were in for a long night.
Coach, he was running his mouth, so I was taking him to the bus!

Reactions: VolKnight9
Didn’t see him out on the field and didn’t see him on the stat sheet. Can’t find anything out on Twitter or anywhere else on Vol Nation. Where is Thornton? Is he alive?

Edit: Case closed. He played, we just didn't need him.

Last nights game was a game that running the football set up pass plays but running the ball (44 times) was what was required to score 51 points and blow them out. Heupel is the best at game planning, play calling and adjusting to what the game requires. They passed it 23 times completing 16 with the TEs / RBs being the primary open threats.

There will be future games that dictate the WRs getting more opportunities. But only if the defense dictates. Heupel is a magician and assessing what it takes to beat a team.

JMO

I hear ya. But back to the Pili late hit, WE could see that the runner had touched down to the ground, but then he bounced back up and kept running. That's when Pili blasted him. What's he supposed to do, if he doesn't hear the whistle? Because, I definitely heard whistles after P's hit, but not sure I did before that. Will have to go back and watch.

VN Store

Back