Which of the 5 big dogs do we have a shot at?

Webbvol32

Back in Blackhouse
We play 5 top 10 teams. Bammer,Fla,Ore,USCe,and Uga. Which team(s) do we match up best against? Who has the weakest rushing D among t4he 5? I say Oregon. We will have a darn good running game-we better. I could perceive no other strengths from 12 or the O&W game. Which of these teams can we realistically upset? My rankings and odds- 1 Ore 39% chance we win. 2 SCar 36%. 3 Fla 30%. 4 Uga 27%. 5 Bammer 7%. What say y`all,VolNation? A more researched thread or corrections ar3e welcome. Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
Everybody except Oregon and Alabama. But I also predict even those two will be forced to work for their wins.

Reactions: 11 people
we can beat oregon with ball control and time management. alabama would be a huge upset. florida didnt impress me last yr. and we can beat georgia and south carolina any day

UGA by a mile. If we make 1 stop, we beat them last year. Now, we are coming back with a solid core, but more importantly better coached. It also helps that UGA has to play LSU the week before us.

Florida also looks like they lost a lot of key players from last year. If we can put up points on their defense, there is a shot. Their huge losses on defense will be key. If CBJ can manage to stop a QB that runs a 5.8 from scrambling for 40 yards, we might sneak one out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We are beating Georgia this year. I feel it in my bones. Won't even be close either.

This is the most important of the 5 for our recruiting, too.

Next year we will start a new winning streak against Bama.

We will lose to all of them. We need another solid year of recruiting and a year of QB experience before we can seriously compete with any of those teams.

Reactions: 10 people
In order of likelihood IMO:

USCe
UGA
Ore
UF
Bama

We'll know after Oregon if UT can play D or not.

Reactions: 4 people
UGA by a mile. If we make 1 stop, we beat them last year. Now, we are coming back with a solid core, but more importantly better coached. It also helps that UGA has to play LSU the week before us.

This year no offence last year no defence, if we can every get them going at the same time might be pain in the azz.:)

we can beat oregon with ball control and time management. alabama would be a huge upset. florida didnt impress me last yr. and we can beat georgia and south carolina any day

Going to have to worry about that one, nothing I have seen this spring or read from practice and scrimmage observers leads me to believe that ball control and time management are what this offense does.. It is a very fast paced up tempo, 10 seconds at most between down and snap.. Sounds like they will either move the chains quickly or punt quickly..

Reactions: 1 person
In order of likelihood IMO:

USCe
UGA
Ore
UF
Bama

We'll know after Oregon if UT can play D or not.

Oregon can make a good defence look bad, i would not judge the D on that 1 game they could put up 40 on a good defence.

Going to have to worry about that one, nothing I have seen this spring or read from practice and scrimmage observers leads me to believe that ball control and time management are what this offense does.. It is a very fast paced up tempo, 10 seconds at most between down and snap.. Sounds like they will either move the chains quickly or punt quickly..

Do we have a good punter he will get plenty of work.:)

this.

i know i am biased in this, but until tennessee wins a game on the road, it's awfully hard to imagine it.
As much as I despise UF, I agree. I think the chances are slightly better for beating Oregon (coaching change also, loss of talent, questionable defensive talent to start with) than UF. Bama is significantly less likely than UF.

in addition, i think tennessee is able to match-up better with georgia and south carolina anyway

Agree with USCe.

So I am guessing it is your opinion that UGA did not turn the corner but only had a talent bump that made them better than before? I am undecided about that myself. If so then the 8 players they had drafted could be killers for them. If not... UGA still has a habit of choking at Neyland.

Oregon can make a good defence look bad, i would not judge the D on that 1 game they could put up 40 on a good defence.

I actually agree. If the D holds them to under 30 and doesn't let them turn it into a track meet then we probably have something that will hang with everyone else.

I probably should have stated what I meant. I meant that they would be the biggest scoring challenge the Vols face. Good D when Oregon's O is part of the conversation is very, very relative.

VN Store

Back