Which of the 5 big dogs do we have a shot at?

USCe from a talent and player standpoint is our best shot. Their defense is going to be pretty good. I don't know how their offense will be this year. We should be comfortable with our system by then and more than likely needing a win pretty badly at that point in the season.

usc E , uga and florida are all beatable. There is more of a chance now than before with Oregono , because the defense will have been practicing against the read option play. Any team on the schedule is beatable if we play Tennessee defense

Reactions: 1 person
South Carolina and Georgia are our best shots at pulling an upset. The crowd will be electric for both games, and those are statement games for coach Jones and this team. Oregon will be tough, but if we can take them out of their element and slow down their pace, we'll have a chance. I just don't know if our defense will be able to keep up with their offensive speed for 4 quarters. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Florida is beatable as well. I wasn't impressed with their offense at all last season, and they've lost some key starters on their D-line and in the backfield. I still expect them to have a tough defense, and we will have to fight hard for that one, but it can be done. Solid QB play will be vital for that game.

If I remember how football is played, we have a shot at all of them....If not, why even play the games???

Agreed. There are so many variables, such as weather, summer workouts, key injuries, and game planning. There is one thing I have learned from watching football for the lion's share of my 52 years; outside of unpredictable problems such as incompetent officiating (for example, last years Packers/ Seahawks game), the other 99.9% of games are almost always won by the team that wants it the most. That team will be better prepared, fight off adversity and fatigue, and go the extra mile to find a way to win. That is why this years team needs the undying and fanatical support of unwavering and loyal, screaming fans. For a team such as Tennessee that has forgotten what it is to have a series of wins against higher level competition, they have to have adrenalin pumping through their veins at a high and continuous stream. They do not need to be on the field waving their arms at the crowd to get them involved. I am not talking about what most of the regulars at Neyland stadium consider loud. I am talking about the level of loud you find at a world cup soccer match, without the violence of course. I am talking about the university deciding it is profitable to not only having guys selling popcorn and soda in the stands, but throat spray as well. I am talking about knowing if you went to the game on Saturday, and can utter a single word on Sunday, you weren't loud enough. If this years Vols are to win the big games this year, they need to know the fans are finally truly behind them.

Excuse this lengthy post, but I had to get that off my chest.

I think the rough consensus is that the two home games are obviously our best chance. Here's my thinking.

Best Chance: Gamecocks. We have a bye week before this game, and USC will travel to Arkansas for what will probably be a slobber-knocker kind of game. This one is set up for us to take.

Next Best: Georgia. They play LSU the week before and we have South Alabama. They are losing many players on defense and we scored 44 on them last year. Seems like a long shot, but I have a feeling that we will win this one and find a way to lose to USC (though USC intellectually should be our best chance).

Next Best: Winning at Oregon seems like a long shot, but Oregon will be in Charlottesville, VA the week before to play the Cavaliers. This could help us if UVA comes to play. The Ducks will actually have to travel further than us to get back to Eugene. But, we could have trouble with Bobby Petrino's not altogether untalented WKU team if we get caught looking ahead.

Next Best: Alabama. Third Saturday in October. Anything can happen. Throw the 100-million dollar training complexes, the 21 National Championships, the 100,000 seat gridiron Mecca's out the window and line 'em up in a cow pasture right now . . . :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Florida: We'll be chasing Ducks while they are sipping drinks from umbrellas watching the game. Kind of scheduling loss for us even if we had comparable talent.

Last edited:
And ironically you have the same thing to show for it as we do. And putting up 9 40+ point games is HARDLY getting your ass whipped.

What in the blue hell are you talking about? What do you mean they have the same thing to show for it? And UT didn't score 40+ 9 times.

Thig gonna Thig maine. You have to be the man to beat the man. #Brickbybrick

Realistically under 20% for each team. Any of those wins would be a huge upset and huge signature win for CBJ in his first season.

Either Georgia or South Carolina. If we had a defense last year, we beat both. We have them at home and Carolina especially struggles against us always. Even in their little win streak they have on us. We also usually always play Georgia strong and they have LSU the week before us. Same thing happened in 2009...and LSU won a thriller in Athens, and a week later Tennessee stomped them. One of the greatest days of my life.

Either Georgia or South Carolina. If we had a defense last year, we beat both. We have them at home and Carolina especially struggles against us always. Even in their little win streak they have on us. We also usually always play Georgia strong and they have LSU the week before us. Same thing happened in 2009...and LSU won a thriller in Athens, and a week later Tennessee stomped them. One of the greatest days of my life.

Coach*

Agreed. There are so many variables, such as weather, summer workouts, key injuries, and game planning. There is one thing I have learned from watching football for the lion's share of my 52 years; outside of unpredictable problems such as incompetent officiating (for example, last years Packers/ Seahawks game), the other 99.9% of games are almost always won by the team that wants it the most. That team will be better prepared, fight off adversity and fatigue, and go the extra mile to find a way to win. That is why this years team needs the undying and fanatical support of unwavering and loyal, screaming fans. For a team such as Tennessee that has forgotten what it is to have a series of wins against higher level competition, they have to have adrenalin pumping through their veins at a high and continuous stream. They do not need to be on the field waving their arms at the crowd to get them involved. I am not talking about what most of the regulars at Neyland stadium consider loud. I am talking about the level of loud you find at a world cup soccer match, without the violence of course. I am talking about the university deciding it is profitable to not only having guys selling popcorn and soda in the stands, but throat spray as well. I am talking about knowing if you went to the game on Saturday, and can utter a single word on Sunday, you weren't loud enough. If this years Vols are to win the big games this year, they need to know the fans are finally truly behind them.

Excuse this lengthy post, but I had to get that off my chest.

^^^^This x 102,000! Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Absolutely none of them, at least not this year. The Vols are predicted to finish next to last in the SEC East, the same as last year. If UT wins 5 games total we'll be very lucky....4-8 is entirely possible. Having High Hopes is fine and understandable, but I'm afraid reality will set in early in October.
Tennessee has NEVER lost 8 games in a season. Not even with the curse
that was the Dooley regime.

i predict a butt whipping for the Crimson Crud :dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

and yes,i have been up all night :toast::td: Debbies

Attachments

• Debbie Downer.png
    Debbie Downer.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 102
this.

i know i am biased in this, but until tennessee wins a game on the road, it's awfully hard to imagine it.

in addition, i think tennessee is able to match-up better with georgia and south carolina anyway

damn it to h3ll...now I agree with a gator...:sick:

Tennessee has NEVER lost 8 games in a season. Not even with the curse
that was the Dooley regime.

We haven't kissed that particular girl, yet, but we sure danced with her a little too close a few times over the last 6 seasons.

2008: Beat Northern Illinois 13-9 in Neyland on our way to a 5-7 season.

2011: Beat Vandy in overtime in Neyland on our way to a 5-7 season.

2012: Beat Troy 3,000,000-2,999,999 (actually score may have been higher--I had multiple vascular implosions during the game) in Neyland on our way to a 5-7 season.

I don't think we lose 8 this year, either, but with our schedule and depth, anything is possible. Still, it is more likely that we win 8, because our talent (if healthy) is much better than people realize.

Georgia should be interesting, they lost a ton of their stellar defense and we lost most of our offense. both squads still have some talent though. Oregon should be fun to watch if we get this fast paced offense down well enough to run close to as fast as them. gonna be a TON of snaps if so, gonna need to be the more in shape team and play good, disciplined football to have a shot at that one. Usc at home should always be winnable, i hope tiny choke-slams clowney on the winning drive to reciprocate for last year. Bama and florida are even longer-shots that are made even harder by being on the road. If florida was at home i would say they would be an easier win than georgia just cause i think the bulldogs have more talent.

I say we steal one of these 5 and have a heartbreaking loss as well. As in a loss by a last second score. Which during the dooley era was as good as a win anyway.

What in the blue hell are you talking about? What do you mean they have the same thing to show for it? And UT didn't score 40+ 9 times.

to be fair we had 8 35+ point games and 1 where we got 31 so he was fairly close.

VN Store

Back