Who are the options at CB?

sjt18

Aside from knowing who earns time there... does anyone know who the realistic options are?

I'm guessing J.W. Seems like this is discussed 2 or 3 times a day (not flaming). Fri. can't get here soon enough! I'm ready for some practice reports to put an end to all of the speculation. Go vols!

Oops! I'm a dumb azz, I can't read. Now as far as CB goes, IDK. I'm gonna guess Riyadh Jones and ????

Last edited:
What about DE opposite JS. I seen where Jordon Williams, Cory Miller, and Marlon Walls have all been projected starters. I thought Miller was a DT and I have also seen Walls projected as a back DT.

Coleman has started 24 games but has been burned some. He's prob in the best shape of his life tho. Hopefully he improves. Malik has the speed to challenge him tho. I think riyhad has the other spot locked

There are a lot of possibilities at DE. Lewis, Vereen, or Brown could even earn some time as Fr.

Miller and Walls both have the ability to slide inside. Miller would be more of a passing down option though.

Coleman has started 24 games but has been burned some. He's prob in the best shape of his life tho. Hopefully he improves. Malik has the speed to challenge him tho. I think riyhad has the other spot locked

Coleman played too soon as a Fr and then got put in bad situations play after play by Sunseri last year. I think he has the talent and skill to be a very good corner. But depth has to come from somewhere and someone to start on the other side. The cupboard is relatively bare.

AND... not to be a negative nancy or anything but one of the two weaknesses of the current recruiting class is CB with the other being DT.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe the weakest spot on the team imo. Some of it may be bad coaching/technique, but some of it s just pooer play. Its imperative that we get a good pass rush game off the edge so our CBs aren't chasing guys around for more than 5-6 seconds per play if we're going to be successful on D.

Reactions: 2 people
Coleman played too soon as a Fr and then got put in bad situations play after play by Sunseri last year. I think he has the talent and skill to be a very good corner. But depth has to come from somewhere and someone to start on the other side. The cupboard is relatively bare.

AND... not to be a negative nancy or anything but one of the two weaknesses of the current recruiting class is CB with the other being DT.

Sooo...not a fan of Payne and Gaulden?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

whatever happened with Tino Thomas?

Is he just buried on the depth chart at this point?

I thought he had blazing speed and good size to play corner

I think Bmoore could see some time there if riyad or coleman struggles - be a nice way to get brandolph and mcneil on the field at safety at the same time

Coleman played too soon as a Fr and then got put in bad situations play after play by Sunseri last year....

Please elaborate. Seems to me that CB is one defensive position where scheme is de-emthasized. It is mano-a-mano: cover your WR.

He showed poor technique & got burned. A lot.

The "what do I do in a 3-4 or is it a 4-3?" confusion of the DL & LB's was not a big part of it, IMHO.

Please elaborate. Seems to me that CB is one defensive position where scheme is de-emthasized. It is mano-a-mano: cover your WR.

The "what do I do in a 3-4 or is it a 4-3?" confusion of the DL & LB's was not a big part of it, IMHO.

No help for one thing. Most coaches dislike putting CB's in man without help over the top. Very, VERY few corners can make that work.

Failure to produce a pass rush without blitzing for another.

Guys persistently out of position because of an overly complicated and poorly taught scheme for another. Confusion on the DL and at LB was a HUGE part of it.

Most teams play some man to man but the amount varies greatly by scheme, philosophy, and player talent.

ANY team including those with elite CB's that puts them on an island constantly will give up big plays vs good passing teams.

Reactions: 3 people

Are you judging his poor technique on not being able to stay with elite level athletes for 5-6 seconds because of no pass rush or some of the more visible (but fewer in number) mental lapses?

It's not as simple as 'Cover your guy'. They could be in zone, play quarters, or any number of other assignment type coverages. I'm not even a football guy, but I'm afraid you've grossly oversimplified this equation.

Reactions: 3 people
Gaulden is probably a safety. One guy for a position as thin as that one is will not be enough.

This is what I was thinking as well. I like Payne and I'm glad to get Gaulden but would love to get either Lammons or Jackson for the corner. In fact I wished we had room for both because Justin is a jr this year. We're looking like we're stacked at Safety for maybe the next 3 years. Maybe Evan will get over his fear of losing money and wind up at CB after all.

Actually, the DL & LB's not knowing what to do does affect the DB's because they are having to guard guys for 5+ seconds. Even Pro CB's would have a hard time with that.

Are you judging his poor technique on not being able to stay with elite level athletes for 5-6 seconds because of no pass rush or some of the more visible (but fewer in number) mental lapses?

It's not as simple as 'Cover your guy'. They could be in zone, play quarters, or any number of other assignment type coverages. I'm not even a football guy, but I'm afraid you've grossly oversimplified this equation.

Correct. It is very likely that some of the plays where Coleman or another player looked "lost" were actually cases where they were trying to recover and make a play because someone else was out of position or missed their assignment.

I think he also grossly underestimated how bad Sunseri was not only at schemes but teaching and coordinating them.

Reactions: 4 people
Field Corner-Riyahd Jones
Boundary Corner- Justin Coleman
Nickel-Jaron Toney
4th/Dime- Naz Oliver/Malik Foreman

Field Corner-Riyahd Jones
Boundary Corner- Justin Coleman
Nickel-Jaron Toney
4th/Dime- Naz Oliver/Malik Foreman

As I said, I'm not a football guy, but the 'Field Corner'...should he be the fastest of the CB options or the most technically proficient? I'd think speed wins out, but maybe I don't totally understand how they'd position each guy with their skill set.

VN Store

Back