Who are the options at CB?

As I said, I'm not a football guy, but the 'Field Corner'...should he be the fastest of the CB options or the most technically proficient? I'd think speed wins out, but maybe I don't totally understand how they'd position each guy with their skill set.

Field corner has to be a guy like Quentin Jammer or Darrelle Revis, the CB that can press and shut down his side of the field.

The boundary corner is pretty much where they put the guys like Patrick Peterson or Antonio Cromartie...Its pretty much your playmaking corner because ur giving a fast player a short field to break on the ball and if the FC is doing his job the other WR should be smothered

Gaulden has said several times that UT is recruiting him strictly at CB. This staff loves his potential there.

Field corner has to be a guy like Quentin Jammer or Darrelle Revis, the CB that can press and shut down his side of the field.

The boundary corner is pretty much where they put the guys like Patrick Peterson or Antonio Cromartie...Its pretty much your playmaking corner because ur giving a fast player a short field to break on the ball and if the FC is doing his job the other WR should be smothered

Thanks. So judging by that description, our Boundary corner is typically the burner of the group, right?

Revis isn't known for speed, but Peterson and Cromartie both certainly are. Is R. Jones our fastest option or would one of the freshmen fit the bill? Seems like Foreman was described as blazing fast, but so was Daniel Gray...

And on top of that, which of our options is the best at being the 'shut down' guy you referenced? Do we have anybody that is even close to that description?

If not, we'll be in a lot of zone with slow footed safeties this year for sure. Scary scenario.

Thanks. So judging by that description, our Boundary corner is typically the burner of the group, right?

Revis isn't known for speed, but Peterson and Cromartie both certainly are. Is R. Jones our fastest option or would one of the freshmen fit the bill? Seems like Foreman was described as blazing fast, but so was Daniel Gray...

Well I have Coleman there mainly cuz I dont think hes slow and I just think hes thr best option....It helps if they are blazing fast but its pretty much just a ball hawk in general

I think Jones can play that Quentin Jammer role and his technique and frame are my reasons for thinking so

And on top of that, which of our options is the best at being the 'shut down' guy you referenced? Do we have anybody that is even close to that description?

If not, we'll be in a lot of zone with slow footed safeties this year for sure. Scary scenario.

Moore, McNeil, nor Randolph are slow. How many teams do you think have genuine "shut down" corners? Lots of good defenses do not have them.

Moore, McNeil, nor Randolph are slow. How many teams do you think have genuine "shut down" corners? Lots of good defenses do not have them.

He was saying whos going to play that role as being a field corner

We were just slow on the D and with the same players wont it be the same, i know the coaching will be better but you cant teach speed.:unsure:

Like CBJ says "dont let the mind tie up the feet"

Dooley had them thinking too much instead of just playing so it made fast players slow, and slow players slower

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's really not fair to hold any of these players accountable for anything on the field last year.

They all deserve a mulligan to see how they do with a real coaching staff.

We were just slow on the D and with the same players wont it be the same, i know the coaching will be better but you cant teach speed.:unsure:

You can make guys look much slower than they are with schemes and poor coaching.

But to your question, you can also make guys "faster" with a scheme that makes assignments mutually supporting.

For example(I know its an offensive example so please look past that part):

Under Dooley the playcall looked like this:
I Right Sally Red Pop X Slant

Under Butch it might look like this:

Green Right Ringo Stick

Lemme try and ’espalain this (generalizations will ensue):

Boundary corner = plays on short side of field and is big and physical. Plays deny-the-ball (a.k.a. holding on every play). Xavier Rhodes of FSU and the Vikings is the latest, greatest example of this.

Field corner = amazingly athletic with amazing speed. Usually small, but that’s only because the big ones capable of playing this are so frick’n rare.

At the end of the season, the players understood the system. They were just slow. That was the problem; too many slow guys starting.

This season you replace multi-injury-having LB Herman Lathers with a former safety. You replace CB Waggner with CB Jones who is much faster. And you replace the oft-beleaguered CB Teague with anybody on the roster because they are all faster.

I was watching some old footage of the first Oregon vs. UT game, and I couldn’t help but be amazed just how much faster Jansen Jackson was then everybody else. My hope is that with everybody getting thinner it’s going to help with team speed. But it was a slow defense last year, and the way you get faster is to get faster players. That is what they did this year, as much as possible.

Field corner is typically ur best CB at man/press because he has to lock down the wide part of the field and hes ur best at run support because most teams run where they have more room

Boundary corner is typically ur best at playing off the wr a little, anticipating routes, and breaking on the ball

Prototypical FC: Darrelle Revis, Ronde Barber, Quentin Jammer, Richard Sherman

Prototypical BC: Deion Sanders, Antonio Cromartie, Nnamdi Asmougha, Patrick Peterson, Lito Sheppard, Pacman Jones

Hes been gone for a while .I think we lost him last offseason because of grades or something

Thanks man. I was thinking that, but i was also wondering about B.Brewer and just seen on the '13 depth chart that he is playing linebacker was he not playing some DB a few years ago and got hurt playing S.C.? I liked the way he layed the wood to folks.

If we avoid injury we will be decent. If a starting corner goes down you start a Freshman the rest of the way, and the safety is assigned to help every play.

Thanks man. I was thinking that, but i was also wondering about B.Brewer and just seen on the '13 depth chart that he is playing linebacker was he not playing some DB a few years ago and got hurt playing S.C.? I liked the way he layed the wood to folks.

He played SS but was a little slow so CBJ moved him to WLB

VN Store

Back