Who Do You Think Is The Best Freshman FB Player You've Seen At UT?

TnScooby

Lots of folks have said so much about Manziel being the first Freshman to win the Heisman..I always thought Herschel Walker should have been the first Freshman to receive the award, but on the subject of impact freshmen, who do you think is the best Freshman to ever play football at UT? I believe most Vol fans would say Peyton Manning, but who do you think it is?

Reactions: 1 person
Eric Berry and Jamal Lewis. Game changers from day 1. If only they played from day 1.

First of all, Johnny Manziel was a redshirt freshman last year, not a true freshman. Yes, Herschel Walker, as a true freshman, was a most deserving Heisman candidate, but voters in those years wanted to see demonstrated productivity over more than one year before awarding the Heisman. As far as Tennessee true freshmen, it has often been said that running back is the one position at which pure talent can most quickly translate from the high school level to the college gridiron, so letÂ’s begin there in terms of viable candidates:

(1) Chuck Webb ran for 1236 yds. and 12 touchdowns during the 1989 regular season, one in which he did not become a full-time starter until Reggie Cobb was dismissed from the team; Webb also amassed 250 yds. and two touchdowns on 26 carries in the 1990 Cotton Bowl win over Arkansas. By todayÂ’s statistical format, that would narrowly surpass Travis StephensÂ’s single-season record, with 1486 yds. compared to StephensÂ’ 1464 yds. in 2001.

(2) Reggie Cobb, in 1987, ran for 1197 yds. and 17 touchdowns, and added 13 receptions for 198 yds. and 3 more tds.

(3) Jamal Lewis, in 1997, ran for 1364 yds. and 7 touchdowns, while posting 23 receptions for 266 yds. and two additional scores.

(4) Carl Pickens was a true freshman in 1989 but had only 7 receptions for 81 yds. and 2 touchdowns, so, despite his great talent, he really doesnÂ’t qualify for this particular award.

(5) As for Peyton, he split duty with Todd Helton and Brandon Stewart during his 1994 freshman campaign. Consequently, his stats (89-144-6 for 1141 yds. and 11 touchdowns) are excellent for a true freshman but, again, one can argue that they do not truly deserve consideration for this hypothetical award. Had he played the entire season, that would, of course, be another story.

My vote, all things considered, would probably go to Chuck Webb. Johnny Majors said that "Webb, a 5-foot-10, 197-pound redshirt freshman, was as good as Tony Dorsett, who Majors coached at Pittsburgh. ’I never had anybody any better than this young man,’ Majors said” (TENNESSEE TAILBACK RUSHES VOLS PAST RAZORBACKS IN COTTON BOWL | Deseret News). This quote raises the question, however, was Chuck a RS freshman in 1989? The stats for 1988 do not indicate his having played that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Berry as far as I can remember and justin hunter had a pretty good freshman year.

It has to be Chuck Webb in my lifetime. IMO, we could have won a NC in '90 or '91 if he'd never gotten his knee banged up.

1990s Jamal Lewis
2000s Eric Berry
2010s Justin Hunter

Can't say for the 80s, but it sounds pretty conclusive with Webb.

Reactions: 2 people
I was in the stands at 1989 UT/Ole Miss game at Neyland. Chuck Webb ran for 295 yds!!!! Took over the game. I was also at 1990 Pacific game were it ended....so sad...what could have been. This was after a tremendous season opening game against eventual nationals champs Colorado (a tie game).

My 8 nominees:

Eric Berry
Casey Clausen
Reggie Cobb
Jamal Lewis
Peyton Manning
Carl Pickens
Kelly Washington
Chuck Webb

and the winner is:

Chuck Webb

VN Store