Who Do You Think Is The Best Freshman FB Player You've Seen At UT?

Didn't manning only play 8 or 9 games his freshman year?
There was a period where Todd Helton was starting, but I can't remember how's many games. I know Manning didn't play against UGA

Lots of folks have said so much about Manziel being the first Freshman to win the Heisman..I always thought Herschel Walker should have been the first Freshman to receive the award, but on the subject of impact freshmen, who do you think is the best Freshman to ever play football at UT? I believe most Vol fans would say Peyton Manning, but who do you think it is?

you after redshirt freshmen also?? Manziel was a redshirt. big difference between true freshmen and someone who is in a college program one year working out.

Pickens and Webb were also redshirted freshmen..

I think Lewis and Berry were the best two I've seen in my 48 years going to games

There was a period where Todd Helton was starting, but I can't remember how's many games. I know Manning didn't play against UGA

Pretty sure Helton got hurt against MSU (4th game) and Manning took over from there.

Pretty sure Helton got hurt against MSU (4th game) and Manning took over from there.

Correct. The UGA game back then was the 2nd game of the season. All Helton did was hand off in the UGA game. Another great OL was the '94 bunch.

We've had so many good freshmen it's hard to choose, hope all our incoming make the impact we are hoping for.

Lots of folks have said so much about Manziel being the first Freshman to win the Heisman..I always thought Herschel Walker should have been the first Freshman to receive the award, but on the subject of impact freshmen, who do you think is the best Freshman to ever play football at UT? I believe most Vol fans would say Peyton Manning, but who do you think it is?

Herschel would have this day and time, back then in 80 there was sorta of a rule no freshman, Plus Johnny football was a red shirt not true freshman, Walker was the best freshman ever to play the game he took Georgia on his shoulders and won the NC without him they are 7 and 4 at best that year.:good!:

chuck webb was total package, ( as far as football).
Jamal lewis had a pretty good freshman year

Eric Berry. Absolute game changer and JC used him very well within the scheme.

Jamal Lewis had an outstanding Frosh. season in '97.

Arian Foster. Didn't have amazing numbers but was voted 2nd team AA in Frosh. year.

I gotta give it to Webb too.

Since we're throwing out great freshmen performances I'll throw out Casey Clausen.

Games/Started: 10/7...The Sporting News third-team Freshman All-America, Knoxville News-Sentinel Freshman All-Southeastern Conference and The Sporting News second-team All-SEC ... Undefeated as a Vol starter in regular season games after taking over at midseason against Alabama...Finished season with 121 completions on 194 passes for a UT freshman record 1473 yards and only six interceptions.

The Ice Man.

I've never understood the hate on Clausen. All the guy ever did was come out and help win football games. He was unbelievably calm under pressure. For true freshmen I would have to add him to the list with Lewis and Berry.

i'll get destroyed for this but.....

erik ainge had a better freshman year than peyton manning

I would not categorically agree with that assertion. Ainge clearly surpassed Peyton in touchdown passes (17 to 11) but he also played more during his freshman season than Peyton. After Jerry Colquitt was sidelined with a knee injury in the first series of the season opener against UCLA, Peyton split duty with Todd Helton and Brandon Stewart during his 1994 freshman campaign. His stats were as follows: 89-144-6 for 1141 yds. and 11 touchdowns, with 61.8 completion percentage; 7.9 yds. per attempt; 4.1 interception percentage; 7.6 touchdown percentage; and a 145.2 quarterback rating.

Ainge, on the other hand, was 109-198-9 for 1452 yds. and 17 touchdowns, with 55.1 completion percentage; 7.3 yds per attempt; 4.5 interceotion percentage; 8.6 touchdown percentage; and a 135.9 quarterback rating.

So. Peyton had a better completion percentage, interception percentage, yards per attempt, and overall quarterback rating. Erik had more touchdown passes and a higher touchdown percentage. That is pretty close to a wash from my perspective.

Chuck Webb, the guy ran for 1400 yards while splitting carries with Cobb in the first half of the season. He was a legit Heisman contender in his sophomore year before he hurt his knee.

I gotta give it to Webb too.

Since we're throwing out great freshmen performances I'll throw out Casey Clausen.

Games/Started: 10/7...The Sporting News third-team Freshman All-America, Knoxville News-Sentinel Freshman All-Southeastern Conference and The Sporting News second-team All-SEC ... Undefeated as a Vol starter in regular season games after taking over at midseason against Alabama...Finished season with 121 completions on 194 passes for a UT freshman record 1473 yards and only six interceptions.

The Ice Man.

Casey posted numbers very comparable to those of Ainge and played in a situation very similar to what Peyton faced as a freshman; Casey split time with A.J. Suggs and Joey Mathews before securing the position.

Also, got to give love to Berry and Lewis. Both could have gone to the NFL out of high school and probably make a team.

If we eliminate redshirt freshmen from the competition, that takes Chuck Webb and Carl Pickens out of consideration. Probably the three most viable remaining contenders are Jamal Lewis, Reggie Cobb, and Eric Berry. All of our freshman QBs (Manning, Clausen and Ainge) lost considerable playing time to competitors, so that their number represent only about 50-60% of the playing time for that position.

Consider the following stats for our leader board:

(1) Reggie Cobb, in 1987, ran for 1197 yds. and 17 touchdowns, and added 13 receptions for 198 yds. and 3 more tds.

(2) Jamal Lewis, in 1997, ran for 1364 yds. and 7 touchdowns, while posting 23 receptions for 266 yds. and two additional scores.

(3) Eric Berry, in 2007, was 4th overall in total tackles (86) and 3rd in solo tackles (57). He also compiled 5 interceptions for a mindboggling 222 yds. and a touchdown, and two fumble recovery returns for an additional 55 yds.

I've never understood the hate on Clausen. All the guy ever did was come out and help win football games. He was unbelievably calm under pressure. For true freshmen I would have to add him to the list with Lewis and Berry.

It was because where he was from laid back calf kid, we the people in the GREAT SOUTH do not like that if we would tell the truth.

1a. Lewis - could have been the clear cut 1 if they had played him earlier in the year.
1b. Webb - still sick about him getting hurt his So. year. Vision
2. Pickens - great natural athlete. Fun to watch

VN Store

Back