Who is easier to beat Gumps or Uggas?

Alabama has returned to being a badass Powerhouse since they know how to utilize Milroe along with him having valuable experience of more than 10 games.
So that’s a heavyweight lift even though a slight advantage that is it’s in Thundering Rocky Top not the Crimson Tide zone.

So I’m saying Georgia by a slight amount because Alabama has given the advantage to other teams by showing they’re beatable even though it’s still the high bar task of consistent terrific execution so that Georgia can’t get in a offensive rhythm of making the other team play challenging catch up.

Tennessee won’t feel the heavyweight pressure of ending the long winning streak because Alabama did that in late September.
Now even though Tennessee hasn’t prevailed vs Georgia since 2016 except they should feel pretty confident playing a not undefeated Georgia team in Rocky Top with a stacked Vols offense that can create issues if the Vols Oline wins the battle of the trenches, along with the Vols DLine that can keep Beck from being another Tebow if they can get pressure on him.

I would say Bama, just because it is at home. Beck has been very inconsistent, which can certainly hamper them. I would absolutely say Georgia if they were at home.

Also Tennessee recently defeated Alabama, , and was in a competitive game vs Alabama last season with a realistic chance of winning which Tennessee hasn’t had vs Georgia in a long time after last prevailing because of the miraculous pass in 2016.

Coach Smart is mostly another Coach Belichick during the very prosperous Brady Patriots era so a team needs a great Any Given Saturday performance to prevail vs that Chess King and the fearless Georgia Bulldogs.

How'd we do against Arkansas?
this for sure is the worry on our plate now.

But to the OP's question as far as matchup I think we matchup better against Bama than UGA. At this level of football it comes down to matchups. When teams are basically at the same level it comes down to who matches up worse against us. During the CJH era we have had more success against Bamas defense than UGA's and we have had more success against UGA offense than bama's. The main difference is UGA's defense is the one defensive scheme that has slowed us down.

We need to beat Arkansas this week....
Then Florida... then Bama matters.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
this for sure is the worry on our plate now.

But to the OP's question as far as matchup I think we matchup better against Bama than UGA. At this level of football it comes down to matchups. When teams are basically at the same level it comes down to who matches up worse against us. During the CJH era we have had more success against Bamas defense than UGA's and we have had more success against UGA offense than bama's. The main difference is UGA's defense is the one defensive scheme that has slowed us down.

We need to beat Arkansas this week....
Then Florida... then Bama matters.
1-0, sha, 1-0.

I feel like we match up better with Bama than UGA, but the past couple games with GA have given me pause with their bad QB play.
But at the same time, Milroe is slowly developing into a beast. Its really hard to call. but we have Bama at home and UGA on the road so I'd agree. I think with those 2 teams from what we have seen so far it comes down to home field advantage. If we are who we think we are. But its a long time til those games and a lot can change between then. Georgia has too much talent for their offense to continue being as bad as its been and that's a wild thing to say about a team averaging 33 points a game.

But at the same time, Milroe is slowly developing into a beast. Its really hard to call. but we have Bama at home and UGA on the road so I'd agree. I think with those 2 teams from what we have seen so far it comes down to home field advantage. If we are who we think we are. But its a long time til those games and a lot can change between then. Georgia has too much talent for their offense to continue being as bad as its been and that's a wild thing to say about a team averaging 33 points a game.
Yeah they will both be a huge challenge for sure. I was mainly going off of the past couple years where we just seem to be able to hang in there with Bama. To me the UGA challenge has been more about being outmatched along the line of scrimmage.

Yeah they will both be a huge challenge for sure. I was mainly going off of the past couple years where we just seem to be able to hang in there with Bama. To me the UGA challenge has been more about being outmatched along the line of scrimmage.
I think its they are the one Defense that can slow us down consistently. I the past 3 seasons we have be held to under 21 points 8 times 3 of them were UGA all 3 times we played them Florida did it twice. Bama once. Half of those 8 came last season when the offense was on a general downturn. If we score 27+ points we rarely lose. Most of our losses came in games we scored under 27. Of our 12 losses the past 3 years we scored more than 26 only 3 times 2 of those came in shootouts in year 1 Pitt and Purdue and the other was the Stallions/Banks game. High scoring shootouts are also not the best move we are 2-2 in those, but, with our current defense that is probably less true.

The first half Bama and the Georgia of the last 20 minutes both looked unstoppable. But we have a few other games to play first and losing any of those takes a lot away from matchups against Bama and Georgia.

i say the Georgia game will be more difficult primarily because it’s on the road.
I think both of their secondaries played poorly. The lack of awareness stood out to me. I thought Beck was a deer in the headlights all night but mistakes by Bama's secondary got them back in the game. UGA's secondary got torched by a baby. I think the UGA game is probably easier to deal with. We probably need to score 40+ to beat Bama. I think we can score on both secondaries.

Any team that gives up 41 points as a defense can be beaten by this UT team. Any team that gives up 34 points as a defense can be beaten by this year's Vols. Especially as many points and big plays by both defenses gave up through the air. Bama has a solid offense that UGA shutdown in the second half for the most part. UGA threw the ball all over the place on them in the 2nd half even when Bama knew they were throwing it. Bama's wrinkle in the first half on offense exposed ther UGA defense to be extremely porous. Credit for adjustments by the dawgs at halftime. but by the time that rolled around they were already 30 some odd points down.

If I were to pick which one and where, it would be GA in Neyland. Beck has struggled mightily, I would have never imagined him so rattled and making those mistakes.

Regardless, I’m taking the Vols at home. Our front 7 will disrupt any offense. We, along with the whole world will find out exactly what this team truly is; Nico and our secondary especially will be tested and tasked to win the game. And I can’t wait to see it!!!

I was watching the game on Saturday along with everyone else in the SEC nation. After the first half I was thinking Georgia has had their run and they are very beatable and it will be a very competative game in Athens. Then after the third quarter and into the fourth i was thinking OH MY GOODNESS this Georgia team is on fire I would not want to play them. THEN Bama scores on that long pass play to win the game and was like HOLY COW, this Bama team is just crazy good and Milroe is faster than any player Tennessee has on its roster besides Squirell, but he doesn't play defensive back. I love my VOLS and they are HEAD and SHOULDERS better than last year and better than 2022 with the exception of Hooker (Nico is awesome and might win the Heisman, but it not Hooker '22 level). Defense is playing LIGHTS OUT!!!! But I would rather play Bama......but just my two cents.
Gumps because game is in Neyland.

I think both of their secondaries played poorly. The lack of awareness stood out to me. I thought Beck was a deer in the headlights all night but mistakes by Bama's secondary got them back in the game. UGA's secondary got torched by a baby. I think the UGA game is probably easier to deal with. We probably need to score 40+ to beat Bama. I think we can score on both secondaries.
Both teams are not as great as some of these folks seem to believe right now.

That was however one of the greatest football games in years. Decades maybe.

It's all about our secondary. If they can stay on the field with either teams recievers, we can win against either one. Georgia came storming back because they started carving up Alabama's secondary. And it was the same thing that cost Georgia the game when they got torched. We can shut down both teams running game.

If I were to pick which one and where, it would be GA in Neyland. Beck has struggled mightily, I would have never imagined him so rattled and making those mistakes.

Regardless, I’m taking the Vols at home. Our front 7 will disrupt any offense. We, along with the whole world will find out exactly what this team truly is; Nico and our secondary especially will be tested and tasked to win the game. And I can’t wait to see it!!!
We play in Athens

I think we've got a better shot at Bama because it's at home, but they'll be tough to beat. It will come down to Jermod McCoy vs Ryan Williams, IMO. We can't give McCoy help because Milroe is such a good runner. If McCoy can put the clamps on Williams, I think we win.
It will actually come down to the guys in black and white stripes. Bama's line never holds....never...even though they do it on every play!

We've matched up better against Alabama lately and that game is at home, so I feel like I have to say Bama.

This is the kind of thread topic that gets screenshot and laughed at on other sites. The Vols haven’t beaten either team enough over the last couple of decades to even warrant discussion.
That's such an asinine take. We literally beat Alabama the last time they came to Neyland. Also, you should think you can compete. If you don't think you can you might as well just go home. Oh, and just one more thing... The opinions of fans have no outcome on the game. Who cares if opposing fan bases laugh at us and think we can't hang? I haven't seen anybody laughing at us this year for what it's worth.

That's such an asinine take. We literally beat Alabama the last time they came to Neyland. Also, you should think you can compete. If you don't think you can you might as well just go home. Oh, and just one more thing... The opinions of fans have no outcome on the game. Who cares if opposing fan bases laugh at us and think we can't hang? I haven't seen anybody laughing at us this year for what it's worth.
Ok

I think a lot of us look at our front 7 on defense, and see the improvement and feel we can compete with UGA and the Gumps. However, I’d like to postulate that a big reason for our defensive success comes from a secondary that can play in man coverage.

I believe our D line is second to none but our ability to run man coverage in the secondary, has fueled our defensive posture.

VN Store

Back