Offensive line =UT in a land slide
RB = even
QB = even
WR = WKU
D line. = UT
Secondary = WKU
LB = even
Special teams = even
Coaching = I think it's even but since Petrino has already proven himself in the SEC, I'll give WKU a slight edge. I really don't believe it but I'm trying to look at everything without my orange tinted glasses on.

Since running the ball should be our biggest strength, their secondary is basically taken out of play. That leaves their only strength at WR and slight edge (at the most) at HC. That's not enough to get a win in Neyland Stadium.

Vols win. 41-24

How would you break it down by position?

We win both lines in a land slide. The guy that covers WKU said they lost everyone from their D line last year

RB = even
QB = even
WR = WKU
D line. = UT
Secondary = WKU
LB = even
Special teams = even
Coaching = I think it's even but since Petrino has already proven himself in the SEC, I'll give WKU a slight edge. I really don't believe it but I'm trying to look at everything without my orange tinted glasses on.

Since running the ball should be our biggest strength, their secondary is basically taken out of play. That leaves their only strength at WR and slight edge (at the most) at HC. That's not enough to get a win in Neyland Stadium.

Vols win. 41-24

Man you are pessimistic patty

Reactions: 1 person
whats so special about their Receivers? i think other than McNeal they had nobody returning that had really any catches. Lots of youth Kind of like UT.

I feel like an inferior CFB fan...because honestly...I don't know crap about WKU.

RB = even
QB = even
WR = WKU
D line. = UT
Secondary = WKU
LB = even
Special teams = even

Vols win. 41-24

How would I break it down?

RB = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
QB = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
WR = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
D line. = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
Secondary = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
LB = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (Even? AJ Johnson said GTFO SMH)
Special teams = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (WKU is in the Sun Belt)
Coaching = THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS (Petrino coaches football in the Sun Belt Conference/I don't care about his past/bUTch)

btw - I wore my orange tinted glasses and still feel confident

Reactions: 6 people
whats so special about their Receivers? i think other than McNeal they had nobody returning that had really any catches. Lots of youth Kind of like UT.

They basically just have a lot more game time than ours do. We probably have more talent but they haven't played much.

Tennessee has WKU's defensive line by a good 50 lbs. per man across the board. What WKU has going for them is that they return all their back seven from last season. I'd suspect that we'll see a lot of inside zone runs early with possibly Lane getting the lion's share of the carries. WKU's front wears down by the third qtr. and Rajion Neal runs rampant on them.

I would call it like this:

QB: UT
Even with a new starter, WKU is in the same boat with a even less experienced play-caller, though Doughty did look good against UK.

RB: WKU
Their 3-headed monster of Andrews, Allen, and Simpson is a pretty talented and stout group. Neal and Lane have yet to play to their potential.

WR: UT
The Vols receivers are young and inexperienced, but are easily more talented than the WKU receivers. Willie McNeal is a threat for WKU when he actually catches the ball.

OL: UT
Nothing even needs to be said here.

DL: UT
Ditto.

LB: UT
While WKU has an NFL-caliber player in MLB Andrew Jackson, the Vols possess a much deeper LB corp at every position.

DB: Push
UT has many young and inexperienced players in the defensive backfield, while WKU is lead by All-Sun Belt and NFL-level talent Jonathan Dowling.

I say the score will be close until the Vols pull away in the 2nd half and win with a score similar to 38-17.

They basically just have a lot more game time than ours do. We probably have more talent but they haven't played much.

Instead of comparing positions it might be interesting to consider the matchups: our OL vs their DL, receivers vs secondary, etc.

Tennessee has WKU's defensive line by a good 50 lbs. per man across the board. What WKU has going for them is that they return all their back seven from last season. I'd suspect that we'll see a lot of inside zone runs early with possibly Lane getting the lion's share of the carries. WKU's front wears down by the third qtr. and Rajion Neal runs rampant on them.
Good post. Tennessee OL seems to have a huge advantage against a smaller and less experienced DL.

I will never understand the complacency toward Neal and Lane. They ran well last year. Neal looked great until he hurt his ankle. To say they aren't good is just plain dumb if you ask me.

They are still a Sun Belt team---now granted they have Petrino's offensive mind and Taggert's players but we actually out-personnel them anyway. The difference this time is that we have a coach that's not a full blown idiot.

Our line play is the key to winning the game, thankfully we shouldhave a pretty good advantage on both sides of the ball. We have some good talent at WR so I wouldn't count them out but our youth hurts us. Worley is a game manager, he only needs to be good enough to keep the defense honest and surprisingly he has a little bit of a motor, he could actually be somewhat of a threat in the read option (I was surprised they actually let him run the ball). Our secondary is a big question mark but with Randolph back that should help. Out LB corps is pretty solid, maybe even one of the more solid groups in the SEC. Personally I think we have a pretty good RB duo in Lane and Neal, besides our line should be able to make mediocre look fantastic. Overall I think we just have more talent that WKU and we should take control of the game in the second half when the talent gap really starts to matter.

I pick us to win 41-24 and I'm being pessimistic? Wow

You picked a larger margin of victory than Vegas. I think the line is around 14 and the over under is about 56 if I'm not mistaken. That means the Vegas score is 35-21, which is probably not a bad baseline.

Our line play is the key to winning the game, thankfully we shouldhave a pretty good advantage on both sides of the ball. We have some good talent at WR so I wouldn't count them out but our youth hurts us. Worley is a game manager, he only needs to be good enough to keep the defense honest and surprisingly he has a little bit of a motor, he could actually be somewhat of a threat in the read option (I was surprised they actually let him run the ball). Our secondary is a big question mark but with Randolph back that should help. Out LB corps is pretty solid, maybe even one of the more solid groups in the SEC. Personally I think we have a pretty good RB duo in Lane and Neal, besides our line should be able to make mediocre look fantastic. Overall I think we just have more talent that WKU and we should take control of the game in the second half when the talent gap really starts to matter.

I wouldn't discount Cam Sutton either---it seems like everything that's been said we haven't talked about the kid. He's doing well and something tells me he'll play well tomorrow.

Sounds good, you care to be the first to do it?

I didn't watch the Western Kentucky game so I haven't seen them play, I'm just basing my opinion on stats and what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

The key area I'll be watching tomorrow is our defense against their offense. Specifically, I'm interested to see how our young corners--Sutton and Coleman--will play against Petrino's offense/receivers. The Hilltoper's QB completed 27-34 passes last week for 271 yards against Kentucky, and by all accounts he looked very comfortable in the pocket. I know it was Kentucky, but still pretty good numbers. I'm also anxious to see if our front four can get pressure.

Tennessee's offense really shouldn't have many issues moving the ball and putting up a lot of points, hopefully anyway. I'm anxious to see how the passing game progresses and if the Vols open up the playbook a little more or still focus primarily on pounding the inside zone read the majority of the time. I'll also be watching Worley's decision-making against a team that should present more challenges than Austin Peay did.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back