Who wins at each position?

I will never understand the complacency toward Neal and Lane. They ran well last year. Neal looked great until he hurt his ankle. To say they aren't good is just plain dumb if you ask me.

I think Neal and Lane are good players, but they have yet to show their real potential as of yet. There is a big difference between what I hope they are capable of and how they have actually produced thus far.

I would call it like this:

QB: UT
Even with a new starter, WKU is in the same boat with a even less experienced play-caller, though Doughty did look good against UK.

RB: WKU
Their 3-headed monster of Andrews, Allen, and Simpson is a pretty talented and stout group. Neal and Lane have yet to play to their potential.

WR: UT
The Vols receivers are young and inexperienced, but are easily more talented than the WKU receivers. Willie McNeal is a threat for WKU when he actually catches the ball.

OL: UT
Nothing even needs to be said here.

DL: UT
Ditto.

LB: UT
While WKU has an NFL-caliber player in MLB Andrew Jackson, the Vols possess a much deeper LB corp at every position.

DB: Push
UT has many young and inexperienced players in the defensive backfield, while WKU is lead by All-Sun Belt and NFL-level talent Jonathan Dowling.

I say the score will be close until the Vols pull away in the 2nd half and win with a score similar to 38-17.

I can see giving Worley the edge at QB based on experience. I think Neal and Lane have played up to their potential, I just don't think their ceilings are very high. They are average to good rb's in my opinion. Just seems like they leave a lot of yards on the field. I like them both I just don't consider them to be upper echelon rb's by SEC standards. Their secondary is stronger in my opinion because they've played together for the last 3 years I believe and they are led by a former 5 star recruit. (Didn't research this just heard it)

Last edited:
I wouldn't discount Cam Sutton either---it seems like everything that's been said we haven't talked about the kid. He's doing well and something tells me he'll play well tomorrow.

We've got players and that has me excited, I expect the game tomorrow to be tough and a much better measure of where the team is at. A less disciplined team might lose that game and make no mistake it is possible but from what I've seen CBJ runs a tight ship.

I can see giving Worley the edge at QB based on experience. I think Neal and Lane have played up to their potential, I just don't think their ceilings are very high. They are average to good rb's in my opinion. Just seems like they leave a lot of yards on the field. I like them both I just don't consider them to be upper echelon rb's by SEC standards. Their secondary is stronger in my opinion because they've played together for the last 3 years I believe.

Average to good RBs look better behind one of the better offensive lines in the country no matter what conference they happen to play in.

I didn't watch the Western Kentucky game so I haven't seen them play, I'm just basing my opinion on stats and what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

The key area I'll be watching tomorrow is our defense against their offense. Specifically, I'm interested to see how our young corners--Sutton and Coleman--will play against Petrino's offense/receivers. The Hilltoper's QB completed 27-34 passes last week for 271 yards against Kentucky, and by all accounts he looked very comfortable in the pocket. I know it was Kentucky, but still pretty good numbers. I'm also anxious to see if our front four can get pressure.

Tennessee's offense really shouldn't have many issues moving the ball and putting up a lot of points, hopefully anyway. I'm anxious to see how the passing game progresses and if the Vols open up the playbook a little more or still focus primarily on pounding the inside zone read the majority of the time. I'll also be watching Worley's decision-making against a team that should present more challenges than Austin Peay did.

I'm not worried about our coverage as much as I am our tackling. That's something we don't know about yet. I'm pretty sure they will have to get rid of the ball quickly so good tackling is a must because its hard to prevent completions under 5 yards.

I'd be interested to see how much of WKUs yardage on passing came after the catch. It seems like to me a disciplined tackling team could limit the yardage (I know that someone mentioned that on here). I'd expect AJ, Maggitt and Sapp to have great individual games. I think the difference could be Dan if he gets push and disrupts the pocket that could go a long way.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll say this and call his name early: Cam Sutton's going to be a baller here. If he develops here like it seems he could we'll have an all-conference type player. When the other players' comment on this kids preparation and play already you know that has to mean something.

I know it can't be stated enough but Crooms blocking could be big too---especially if we are intent on running the ball which I think we are---I'd like to see if any of the tight ends could be big playmakers like Kelce was in Butch's offense. It's easier to attack on offense when you have that playmaker at TE to relieve stress on coverage on the WRs.

Last edited:
UT is superior at every position you listed personnel wise except MAYBE WR based on experience alone and ST's. I simply do not know what they have at kicker. They have a fine RB but UT has two SEC caliber RB's. Their LB corps isn't close in talent to UT's.

UT is superior at every position you listed personnel wise except MAYBE WR based on experience alone and ST's. I simply do not know what they have at kicker. They have a fine RB but UT has two SEC caliber RB's. Their LB corps isn't close in talent to UT's.

Their RB shares an all purpose yards record with Barry Sanders. I don't care where u play, that's saying something. Still not overly impressed with our RBs.

I think the game will be decided by Daniel Hood,he will need at least 2 interceptions for the Vols to Win :yes::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Go Vols

Their RB shares an all purpose yards record with Barry Sanders. I don't care where u play, that's saying something. Still not overly impressed with our RBs.

It is saying something... but competition does matter. He avg'd 272 ypg vs his conference 199 vs non-conference. Four games at the end of last season really boosted his numbers. The avg total D ranking for those teams was 82nd in the NCAA. Those teams were 4 of the 5 teams at the bottom of the Sun Belt Conf.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that WKU lost 3 of the 4 games in which he went over 300 all purpose yards.

The other thing is that being the kick and punt returner adds alot of yardage when a team like ULM scores 6 TD's.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a good football player... but comparing him to Barry Sanders without looking at the competition is like looking at UT's win last week without considering the competition.

I was concerned a bit about tallish wr's vs. our smallish cb's like Coleman and Foreman ... but then I see that the guy said to be WKU's best wr, McNeill, is 5-10 and 163, and I think, we might be OK.

I would call it like this:

QB: UT
Even with a new starter, WKU is in the same boat with a even less experienced play-caller, though Doughty did look good against UK.

RB: WKU
Their 3-headed monster of Andrews, Allen, and Simpson is a pretty talented and stout group. Neal and Lane have yet to play to their potential.

WR: UT
The Vols receivers are young and inexperienced, but are easily more talented than the WKU receivers. Willie McNeal is a threat for WKU when he actually catches the ball.

OL: UT
Nothing even needs to be said here.

DL: UT
Ditto.

LB: UT
While WKU has an NFL-caliber player in MLB Andrew Jackson, the Vols possess a much deeper LB corp at every position.

DB: Push
UT has many young and inexperienced players in the defensive backfield, while WKU is lead by All-Sun Belt and NFL-level talent Jonathan Dowling.

I say the score will be close until the Vols pull away in the 2nd half and win with a score similar to 38-17.

My exact score prediction and I agree with everything you said.

That's all I guess

Offensive line =UT in a land slide
RB = even
QB = even
WR = WKU
D line. = UT
Secondary = WKU
LB = even
Special teams = even
Coaching = I think it's even but since Petrino has already proven himself in the SEC, I'll give WKU a slight edge. I really don't believe it but I'm trying to look at everything without my orange tinted glasses on.

Since running the ball should be our biggest strength, their secondary is basically taken out of play. That leaves their only strength at WR and slight edge (at the most) at HC. That's not enough to get a win in Neyland Stadium.

Vols win. 41-24

How would you break it down by position?

Another fail post....wow...smh

VN Store

Back