Why are you a Vol fan?

Grew up in a Georgia Bulldog and Florida Gator household.. early 90's.. coolest kid in the neighborhood was a UT fan and it just stuck. Plus a little rebellious at heart. Went to a game when I was about 15 and since then there was nothing from keeping me being a tortured Tennessee fan. It's a mental illness at this point I believe. See you guys Sept 2 :)

My parents graduated from UT in 1951. My dad had 8 season tickets between the twenty and thirty yard line on the side that had the original upper deck - we were about two rows under the upper deck so we didn’t get very wet in a rain unless the wind was blowing. I remember going before the stadium was a complete bowl - people used to sit on blankets on the hill.
So I was just raised right (as one person has already said).

Grew up in a Georgia Bulldog and Florida Gator household.. early 90's.. coolest kid in the neighborhood was a UT fan and it just stuck. Plus a little rebellious at heart. Went to a game when I was about 15 and since then there was nothing from keeping me being a tortured Tennessee fan. It's a mental illness at this point I believe. See you guys Sept 2 :)
I’m sure your parents are nice folks, but, you poor thing lol

Reactions: MAD
Why am I a Vols fan?

Because I like trauma. I like going to tailgates, getting excited about the upcoming game, only to leave the stadium in the middle of the third quarter being behind by a wide margin.

I love our spirited coaching searches every three years.

I love watching us beat up on the Gators only to see them scratch and claw their way back to win with so many seconds left. I especially liked the Gaffney "non catch".

I like seeing Alabama take the meaning of the word "rivalry" out of our annual game.

And then, I like the Vols so much, I keep trying to convince myself this is all about to change.

Why am I a Vols fan?

Because I like trauma. I like going to tailgates, getting excited about the upcoming game, only to leave the stadium in the middle of the third quarter being behind by a wide margin.

I love our spirited coaching searches every three years.

I love watching us beat up on the Gators only to see them scratch and claw their way back to win with so many seconds left. I especially liked the Gaffney "non catch".

I like seeing Alabama take the meaning of the word "rivalry" out of our annual game.

And then, I like the Vols so much, I keep trying to convince myself this is all about to change.

I grew up in Clarksville, TN and every year my Grandfather and i would take in a game back in the 1970’s and the early 1980’s before he passed. I will always treasure those memories.

The second reason is listening to the sublime voice of John Ward describe the action on those cool crisp autumn afternoons. It was just like being there!

I thought this would be cool to see some good stories.

Mine: I was born in Georgia and have been a lifelong resident here. My father was born and raised in Tennessee. I've been a UT fan since birth you can say.

Had a great uncle that lived in Huntsville, Alabama that was on von Braun's staff at Redstone Arsenal. Anyway, he was a 1939 Tennessee graduate. Loved the Big Orange, had season tickets. Took me to my first game in 1967 when I was 7 years old. The orange jerseys, the band, the band opening up the T. The view of The Hill from our seats. The excitement of the drive going to Knoxville. Stopping in Cleveland on the way home at some steakhouse right off the interstate, which became a yearly tradition. Hooked at age 7............so much so that I declined several small college football schollies and accepted an invitation to walk on at UT. Though I hung my cleats up my freshman year, stayed in school and graduated in 1982. Oldest daughter graduated UT.

My dad was a UT grad (class of 1950) thanks to the GI bill. He took me to my first game when I was 10 (Vandy in Nashville 1966) but I was a fan before that. We’d go to 2-3 games a year till I finished high school.
I’m still a die hard fan. Even though I went to Vandy.

Todd Kirk (Vol OL in the mid-80's) went to the same high school I attended (a few years before me).
Our football team traveled to Atlanta to watch UT and Indiana play in the Peach Bowl in '87. It was my first college game and the Vol's won. He took the time and spoke to our team after the game, still in uniform. It was an awesome moment and one I remember to this day.

Thanks to Todd for that cool memory.

Go Vols.

Born into a US Army family in Fort Knox, KY; Mom was from Bluff City (Chinquapin/Walnut Grove) and Dad from Bristol (Williams off of State St.).
Dad moved us a few times over the next few years - Ft. Knox to Aberdeen, Maryland to Vilseck, Germany to Ft. Carson, Colorado to a short stint at Ft. Hood, Texas and back to Knox where he retired with 3 up, 3 down, and a star in the center.

In all that time, I can recall two things...Mom's good cookin' and the Tennessee Volunteers being on Armed Forces Radio every Saturday.
Guess you could say it was Momma, Daddy, and John Ward that made me want to be a Vol.

Growing up in south Florida, there weren’t a lot of passionate college football fans around me and so it was something I never really followed. When I moved to the Knoxville area when I was 12 though I was blown away by how passionate people were for college sports and specifically the Vols. I started following the team some at that point but really got into it once I decided to attend UT.

…that was 15 years ago so it’s been a pretty miserable experience thus far but whenever we win the natty again I’m gonna party like it’s the Roaring 20’s!

Birthed into it in 1977 across from Neyland Stadium. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for my two kids who grew up during the 2003-present

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
Dad was born and raised in Strawberry Plains but graduated high school at Farragut. He attended UT IN 1956 and some tailback named Majors was his ROTC captain. But mainly because my granddaddy played at UT in 1921 under Coach MB Banks .... Offense and defense. Dad trained horses and rode the Tennessee Walking horse in 1979 versus Georgia Tech. Anybody there and took pictures of the horse, I'd love a copy! I was in Germany with the Air Force and missed it.

VN Store

Back