Why are you a Vol fan?

Born and raised in San Francisco but my father's side of the family is originally from Tennessee. This piqued my curiosity and I started watching UTK football back in the Heath Shuler days (because Cal and Stanford suck) and instantly became a fan. When it was time for college, I applied at Cal-Berkeley, Stanford, and UTK. You can guess which one I got accepted to. Going to the home football games was fun and attending the game at the Swamp in '01 was like an outer body experience. Class of 2004 and 2015.

Born and grew up in lower, middle TN. Most game days were spent in a field working our cattle, hay, tobacco or another’s farm making $. Never missed a game on the radio then or later in life listening to Armed Forces Radio while abroad.
I’ve lived coast to coast and spent large amounts of time in other countries. Lived in GA the last 25 years but TN will always be home to me. In the same, the Orange will always be in my sunrise. The 1-2 games I get to most years are great highlights of those years.
Go Vols!

I was born into it. My dad graduated from UTK in 1951. I did in 1991 and my son will graduate this spring. In between my brother, sister, niece, 3 nephews and over a dozen first and second cousins have all graduated from UTK. From the time I was a toddler I was taken to all home games, football and basketball. We also went to a lot of bowl games.

Born in East Tennessee, and not sure how the fandom started, I must have been one of the chosen ones. Besides, Tennessee is the only place you can call heaven and it's a local call, and the Vols are our team.

Grew up in the west Texas town of Abilene during the "Friday Night Lights" era of Texas high school football. I was that kid throwing the football with my friends on the track around the field at Shotwell Stadium. My sister went to Cooper. That, and the Dallas Cowboys (there was a team in Houston?) made me a player and fan of football from a young age. In '88 my dad retired and we moved to his hometown in middle Tennessee. It took me a while to get used to curved roads and the small turnouts at tiny HS stadiums in TN (although that has improved lately). With no pro team in the area at the time, it didn't take me long to realize that college football was the big deal around here, which was a new and fun experience for me. In Texas it's about high school and the Cowboys. No one outside of Austin or College Station cared about college football that much, that I recall.

All my cousins and uncles were Vol fans, but my grandfather was a Vandy fan. I had to pick a team, and the Vols were enjoying a run of success at the time. The choice was easy. I've been rolling with the Vols ever since, through good times and bad.

I catch a lot of flack for it, but I am still a die hard Cowboys fan.

I was born in Knoxville but as a young boy I was in love with Florida State only because they had a horse. One day listen to the radio I liked John Ward and the way he called the games. My first game was Tennessee vs Arkansas with Pickens at WR. Been hooked every since. I actually had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife.

A parent is an alum from U.T. Grew up as a child hearing John Ward call Tennessee games with my earliest recollection being Alan Crockwell and "Naturalllll..... GASSSS".

Would watch other games on T.V. with my grandfather but the T.V. sound turned down to hear John Ward call Tennessee games.

Had a sibling get both a B.S. and M.S. from UT and I myself received a B.S. and M.S.

Reactions: mbh422 and MAD
Birthed into it in 1977 across from Neyland Stadium. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for my two kids who grew up during the 2003-present
My kids are 12, 9, and 3. My oldest 2 know we root for the boys in orange. My 9yr old proudly wears her UT shirt on fridays at school and I taught my 3 yr old how to say “Go Vols!.” We’ve endured a decade+ of suck but I be damned if my kids root for another team lol.

Born in Knoxville at UT Medical Center(after my folks made the trip in from Happy Valley), and although I did my growing up in the quagmire of south Georgia (Seminoles, Mud Lizards, and fleabitten Canines, oh my!) a sense of connection back to the area of my birth and a strong preference for the scenery and culture of the Smoky Mountains to the flat wasteland of south-central Georgia kept me interested in East TN (and as an extension of that, Vols sports). South GA, although familiar, never felt like "Home", if that makes sense. Eastern TN always has, though...so I pull for the "Home" team.

1a. Tennessee born and raised.
Growing up the highlight of Saturdays in fall was always listening to John Ward and hopefully watching THE BIG ORANGE on TV.

1b. Hatred for bama.

Plus to quote volmanjr;
Because there is no time like FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!

GBO! 🍊🍊🍊🧡🧡🧡

1. Born & raised in TN
2. Went to a game as a teenager and experienced this thing called UT Football. My blood turned orange that day.
3. John Ward's voice on the radio.
4. Tradition, pageantry and spirit.
5. Despite the last 15 years, winning is fun.

My Dad was all VOL. He did not graduate from UT and was so proud when I did, bachelors and master degrees as well as working with RMC program and UTSI projects. We would sit on the patio of our Base Housing overseas and listen to the VOLS on Armed Forces Radio. I've met so many coaches and players. Being a Franklin County resident, I've spent time with Phillip, Johnny, and Bill/Jeff Hall. I was a VASF member back in the 80s and 90s. I hope the new coaches and players make THE difference. I follow all sports male or female. Go Vols!

My Dad was all VOL. He did not graduate from UT and was so proud when I did, bachelors and master degrees as well as working with RMC program and UTSI projects. We would sit on the patio of our Base Housing overseas and listen to the VOLS on Armed Forces Radio. I've met so many coaches and players. Being a Franklin County resident, I've spent time with Phillip, Johnny, and Bill/Jeff Hall. I was a VASF member back in the 80s and 90s. I hope the new coaches and players make THE difference. I follow all sports male or female. Go Vols!

FCHS Class of '78 here. Work games with Bill and had Jeff in class.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM and MAD
Because the Good Lord blessed me with at least a smidgen of taste and discernment (along with allowing me to be born in the hills of East Tennessee)

Reactions: MAD
Grew up in Greenback listening to games on the radio back in the Mallon Faircloth days. I used to anxiously wait for the Sunday edition of the news sentinel to see those game action photos with the arrows pointing at a particular player (Black and white photos at that). Then really got fanatical when the Crossville Comet, Hacksaw Reynolds, and Steve Kiner were there. Man those were the days.

My dad. Orange and White. John Ward. Reggie Cobb. Chuck Webb. Carl Pickens. Jeremy Lincoln's butt. Mose Phillips' watch. Andy Kelly. Heath Shuler. Alvin Harper. Tennessee fall in Knoxville on Game Day. Greg Amsler. Ben Talley. Shazzon Bradley. Charlie Garner. James Stewart. Aaron Hayden. Chuck Smith. Chris Mimms.

These are just a few reasons.

Imma let you guys into some history.

In the late 70's, early 80's, National Cash Register of Dayton Ohio pulled a bunch of folks from the deep south, from Birmingham, Huntsville, and Oak Ridge. Because of the newly constructed I-65 corridor. My mom worked nights at a data base center, and my pop was brought north. I was ripped from Alabama, but that is all you will get from me for now. My fam has a good time with me during the season tho, I can assure you. When I get to Ohio I was not able to see alabama games, but I was able to see UT games. There is a long history between SW ohio and SEC. There is a lot of "cross pollination". We are Browns fans, and not OSU fans generally. The weather is different as well.

Born in Knoxville at UT Medical Center(after my folks made the trip in from Happy Valley), and although I did my growing up in the quagmire of south Georgia (Seminoles, Mud Lizards, and fleabitten Canines, oh my!) a sense of connection back to the area of my birth and a strong preference for the scenery and culture of the Smoky Mountains to the flat wasteland of south-central Georgia kept me interested in East TN (and as an extension of that, Vols sports). South GA, although familiar, never felt like "Home", if that makes sense. Eastern TN always has, though...so I pull for the "Home" team.

Similar to me although I grew up in Atlanta. Have lived here ever since with the exception of one year in Chicago. However before I die I will live in East TN again.

Reactions: MAD and tbh

VN Store

Back