"Why even go if we're just gonna lose"

Insunseri

I overheard a kid say that to his dad last week while they were talking about UT football, and it got me thinking (yeah, I'm about to get philosophical up in here). We're constantly inching toward the seemingly inevitable point where the average UT student would've been too young to remember a truly great UT fb team. And, now that they charge for student tickets, are the "new-school" UT students going to have the same passion for UT fb that we all had growing up? Will they have the same incentive to get their butts to the game instead of just watching on hd, 3d tvs? What about away games? It's hard to go to the swamp knowing that you're gonna have to do the walk of shame out of the stadium (a lot of us know how difficult that can be). We may be coming to a point where being a UT fan means something entirely different to the new generation of students. Just sayin...

Where have you been? Have you seen the student section? It's half full.

But your point is true that the kids today don't remember or weren't alive when UT was good. They've been bad their entire lives, which sucks.

Only a sick human being actually wants to go watch a display like what we put on last week. Much less pay to see it.

This is the flip side of all those "Butch needs 5 years" and "Why would expect us to be any good" threads. After many more years of fielding uncompetitive teams, what do you think will happen to our attendance, ticket sales, donations, recruiting, etc.?

"Recovering Negavol" + this post = unclear thread?

The Dooley era was rough for me. But, that's kinda the point...no matter how bad we are or how much I dislike a coach, I'll still have the same passion for UT football, and I'll never give up on the program. Can that be said for the new generation of UT fans? We'll see I guess.

I think we have all figured out that Jones is not gonna wave a magic wand and make us win. This years team is actually worse than what Dooley had to work with last year. The recruiting class coming in gives us hope and one more after that gets us all the way back. Let us hope we can keep all our commits and add several big linemen because the future of our program will all be determined by the players we get in the next two years.

Apparently it happened in the '70s and we still rebounded, obviously. It sure does seem like we're never going to be back near the top sometimes though.

Apparently it happened in the '70s and we still rebounded, obviously. It sure does seem like we're never going to be back near the top sometimes though.

Yeah and we had some crap years in the 80's too. You simply can't keep a perennial powerhouse like us(regardless of if ESPN considers us one) down for very long. Too much rich tradition and too many resources. We will climb back to the top. A matter of if, not win. Go Vols!!

There is a strong correlation between fan passion and winning.

When you start losing...and then continue for almost a decade...that's some tough s*** to get hyped for.

We've lost more games in the last 3 years than we did in all of the 90's.

Yeah and we had some crap years in the 80's too. You simply can't keep a perennial powerhouse like us(regardless of if ESPN considers us one) down for very long. Too much rich tradition and too many resources. We will climb back to the top. A matter of if, not win. Go Vols!!

Is UT really a perennial powerhouse? Maybe to some Vol fans. 1 BCS bowl is not my definition of perennial powerhouse.

Is UT really a perennial powerhouse? Maybe to some Vol fans. 1 BCS bowl is not my definition of perennial powerhouse.

I'd say once upon a time we were somewhere in between what UGA currently is in the SEC east and what LSU is in the SEC west.

Last edited:
Is Vandy now The University of Tennessee and we're now Vandy? Maybe, you know the Ol sayin, What Comes Around, Goes Around?

Is Vandy now The University of Tennessee and we're now Vandy? Maybe, you know the Ol sayin, What Comes Around, Goes Around?

No freakin way. We've had a bad run sure but we've still accumulated more wins in the last 25 years than Vandy will in the next 50.

Folks, tradition and resources ain't enough. Sooner or later somebody wearing the UT hfc's whistle is going to have to take an outmanned squad into the lion's den, come out with a victory and then repeat the feat until it becomes a habit. We may catch up to what we commonly consider the lower tier of the SEC by filling out the roster. The better teams though, the teams we used to beat and we all want to beat again, are not standing still. The better teams in this conference are following the principle that iron hardens iron and using each other to get bigger, stronger, faster and smarter. This is not some rinky dink building job. This is a heroic quest of epic proportions and it's going to take a champion to get it done. We'll know if we got the right man for the job soon enough.

Reactions: 1 person

Top 10 in wins all time would suggest so. But yeah, we've been far from that description for a long long time.

These things don't always go in cycles though, like many want to assume. Chances are, we could be looking at being what Ole Miss was for the past 50 years, for our next 50 years.

No freakin way. We've had a bad run sure but we've still accumulated more wins in the last 25 years than Vandy will in the next 50.

Not being funny, but when Vandy was down all those years, I rooted for them because they were always the underdog, will Vandy now return the favor?

VN Store

Back