Will Butch Jones restore Tennessee to Greatness?

patrick

There are many on this board that are saying that Butch Jones is a good hire for Tennessee and are very excited about him and his coaching and recruiting abilities. These Vol fans are "all-in" on Jones and expect great things during his tenure.

Likewise there are other Vol fans who are taking a "wait-and-see" approach on this hire. Their opinions will be based upon what he does with his staff hires, recruiting and ultimately wins and losses.

There is a third category of Vol fans who do not support this hire nor do they support Hart and Cheek. These fans have indicated on this board and on the radio that they are displeased with what has taken place and will not renew their season tickets nor will they provide anymore donations to the Athletic Department.

Nevertheless, I am curious as to how many of the "all-inners" believe that Butch Jones will restore this program to its former greatness. Which "all-inners" really believe that Butch Jones will win the SEC east and an SEC Championship?

Please let us know if you believe that Jones will accomplish those two goals at UT and how long it will take him? (Jones himself said in his presser and in his initial team meeting that UT will be a "Championship Team".

If however you do not believe that Jones will accomplish the Championship goals he set, please say "no".

Last edited:
I'm praying hopefully "YES" but in my heart "NO" with these new assistants staff members rumored to be coming in.

4 Championships in 6 years as a HC.
He's got a better record than the last guy.

Wait and see.

Reactions: 3 people
We all want to say YES but we have to wait and see. I think he can, but we have all been mislead at times so wait and see. He can coach up a lot of guys but we have to have a PROVEN SEC DC plain and simple. The DC from Cinci they said may or may not be the DC next year and Jones can always pay him more as the assistant HC and get a proven SEC DC.

I see us being on the same level as South Carolina. I think he will put together some good teams but will never be able to put us over the edge that makes us great. We will win some big games but I do not see National Championships being won though.

I do however think he will change the culture of this team from the past few years. It has been said by several on here that he reminds them of Bruce Pearl and I was thinking the same thing. If he is able to pull some big recruits my expectations will drastically change though.

Reactions: 1 person
I am so sick of these "Championships" being touted, as the 2 with Cincinnati are both co-Championships tied with like 3 or 4 other teams. Playing this crap schedule:

This is winning conference co-championships in the Big East:

Sagarin Ratings
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30
30 Cincinnati 10 3 68.43( 73) 0 0 | 0 1

RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30
45 Cincinnati 9 3 63.85( 99) 0 0 | 0 0

There are a lot more of the top 10 and top 30 on UT's schedule.

Yes, he will restore our program to greatness. His offense is exciting. His defensive coordinator is one of the best in the nation. And he's got the charisma Dooley never had, that will pay huge dividends on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope so but with him bringing virtually everyone from his staff and not upgrading, I don't think so.

There are many on this board that are saying that Butch Jones is a good hire for Tennessee and are very excited about him and his coaching and recruiting abilities. These Vol fans are "all-in" on Jones and expect great things during his tenure.

Likewise there are other Vol fans who are taking a "wait-and-see" approach on this hire. Their opinions will be based upon what he does with his staff hires, recruiting and ultimately wins and losses.i

There is a third category of Vol fans who do not support this hire nor do they support Hart and Cheek. These fans have indicated on this board and on the radio that they are displeased with what has taken place and will not renew their season tickets nor will they provide anymore donations to the Athletic Department.

Nevertheless, I am curious as to how many of the "all-inners" believe that Butch Jones will restore this program to its former greatness. Which "all-inners" really believe that Butch Jones will win the SEC east and an SEC Championship?

Please let us know if you believe that Jones will accomplish those two goals at UT and how long it will take him? (Jones himself said in his presser and in his initial team meeting that UT will be a "Championship Team".

If however you do not believe that Jones will accomplish the Championship goals he set, please say "no".
I don't know but i'll give him every oppourtunity to do so. I for one am glad gruden declined to come here. I prefer a coach who has proven he can coach at the college level over mr hollywood who hasn't. Sure gruden would have excelled at getting recruits.but its what you do with them thats important.

I am still on the fence... I don't know that HE IS the answer to all we face, nor do I know that he is the Great Fail that was the Dooley experiment.

I want Tennessee back at the championship level...but my greatest fear is that he will land somewhere in the middle

Good enough to keep from getting fired, but not good enough to compete at the level we are use to...thus keeping us a middle of the pack program for years... like Ole Piss

Likewise there are other Vol fans who are taking a "wait-and-see" approach on this hire. Their opinions will be based upon what he does with his staff hires, recruiting and ultimately wins and losses.

Are you a pastor of a church? Because, your question is akin to a question regarding religious belief. His statement regarding "Championship team" is a VISION statement, and all good/great coaches must have a vision to guide them and to work toward.

I hope so but with him bringing virtually everyone from his staff and not upgrading, I don't think so.

Do you know anything about his staff? These guys are great. As a football coach myself, I know that it's not always the guys at Georgia or Auburn who are the best coached. Instead it's the guys at Cincy winning 9-10 a yr who really have to coach their butts off.

His staff has one of the best DC's in the nation on it. Who has ties to the state of Georgia.

How well has trying to bring in a big name OC/DC worked out for us in the past? It's far better to bring in someone who fits into your system. That way you aren't losing 3-4 coaches a yr like Dooley.

I don't know but i'll give him every oppourtunity to do so. I for one am glad gruden declined to come here. I prefer a coach who has proven he can coach at the college level over mr hollywood who hasn't. Sure gruden would have excelled at getting recruits.but its what you do with them thats important.

Thanks for your input into the subject ,,,, yet I did not see where the OP asked anything about Gruden... maybe I need to read it again??

I am watching and hoping like everyone else that BJ does a great job...but I still don't see it

We are in a better place than we were yesterday.

Jones deserves the benefit of the doubt; it's the least we can offer to the man who chose UT over the other opportunities.

the man is not the Rockstar that some on here were expecting, however he very well could turn into 1 while in Knoxville

Reactions: 2 people
It depends on his recruiting ability here. He recruited big east caliber players at Cincy and coached them well. If he is able to pull in sec talent here, i think he is a good enough coach to get us turned around.

VN Store

Back