Will Delmonico survive this year if we miss the SEC tourney?

Shadowboxer

Your moms favorite member
If we miss it this year, we will have not made the SEC tourney 7 out of the last 10 years.

That's a great stat, I heard it this morning.

I think he's back next year regardless.

I would assume that if it weren't for Tony on the squad, it would be a very easy descision.

But us possibly losing Adkins, Borbon, and J.P. to MLB could make the decision easier. I don't see better results next year, so I say can him if no SEC bid this year.

But us possibly losing Adkins, Borbon, and J.P. to MLB could make the decision easier. I don't see better results next year, so I say can him if no SEC bid this year.

I agree if he can't produce this team into a tounament caliber team what makes everyone think he can do it next year with a lesser talented team.

Arencibia is probably the best catcher in the conference. That snap throw to pick Jones off on Saturday night must have been lethal. Tennessee does seem to underachieve a bit with the talent they have. It's all about pitching though.

The ballpark looked awesome from the photos I saw on a Gamecock board's photo gallery. Sounds like they are really trying to draw the fans in with stuff like the fireworks Friday night and I heard there was a movie night after Saturday's game.

Good luck, Vols. College baseball to me is a great product that I hope catches on everywhere. The SEC is head and shoulders above any other conference in this sport.

The bad part is the 3 years he has made the tourny, they seem to make it all the way to Omaha! It makes replacing him that much harder!

I would assume that if it weren't for Tony on the squad, it would be a very easy descision.

No Delmonico (Tony or Rod) is bigger than the baseball program. If a change is needed (Making the SEC Tourney 30% of the time in the last 10 years) then make the change.

The bad part is the 3 years he has made the tourny, they seem to make it all the way to Omaha! It makes replacing him that much harder!

Delmonico is the best coach in UT history, but he is by no means at all a brilliant baseball mind. He is very very very very replaceable.

The SEC is head and shoulders above any conference in about every sport.

No way. ACC and Pac 10 have better baseball, and the Big West, I think it is called, with Pepperdine, CS Fullerton, and Long Beach ain't too shabby either. And the Big 12 is probably equal or just under the SEC on the diamond.

Delmonico and Simcox will return. I think there might be some changes with the pitching coach and also go out and get a quality grad. asst. coach to work on fielding.
Rod and Larry are really good coaches guys, and I'd hate to lose them. The grass is not always greener on the other side. JMO.

Coach D's personality does him no favors! The guy is a decent coach but a jerk off the field. Winning when he had too is what has kept him there. So I expect a stellar season next year.

No way. ACC and Pac 10 have better baseball, and the Big West, I think it is called, with Pepperdine, CS Fullerton, and Long Beach ain't too shabby either. And the Big 12 is probably equal or just under the SEC on the diamond.

Sorry, top to bottom, the SEC is the best. The ACC is good, but top to bottom, the SEC is the dominant force in college baseball.

Sure, CS Fullerton is pretty good, but they have little competition out there. Big 12? Outside of Texas, who else is out there?

When you look at a conference from top to bottom, you are in the midst of the best here in the SEC. The selection committee agreed two years ago when Florida got into the NCAA tournament when they missed out on the SEC tournament.

Sorry, top to bottom, the SEC is the best. The ACC is good, but top to bottom, the SEC is the dominant force in college baseball.

LOL

Here are the champions (runner-ups) of the past 5 years:
2002 Texas (South Carolina)
2003 Rice (Stanford)
2004 Cal State-Fullerton (Texas)
2005 Texas (Florida)
2006 Oregon State (North Carolina)

Here are the top 5 in all-time championships:
1. USC-12
2. Texas-6
T-3. Arizona State-5
T-3. LSU-5
T-5. Cal St. Fullerton-4
T-5. Miami-4

The only other SEC team to have ever won a title is Georgia in 1990.

Sure, CS Fullerton is pretty good, but they have little competition out there. Big 12? Outside of Texas, who else is out there?

When you look at a conference from top to bottom, you are in the midst of the best here in the SEC. The selection committee agreed two years ago when Florida got into the NCAA tournament when they missed out on the SEC tournament.

The Big West may have little in-conference competition, but they have nearly as many NC's has the SEC. The SEC has won 6, while The Big West has won 5. The Big 12 has won 10 titles and the Pac 10 has won 25 (12 by USC).

Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Baylor all have good baseball programs, besides Texas.

Florida was the runner up in '05, so it's not highly surprising that they would get a regional bid despite not making the SEC Tourny.

I am no expert - but it's time. Delmonico doesn't recruit well for what ever reason. He has signed some very questionable players in the past.
My son played on the best summer teams from middle tn year after year - with and against - price , adkins, maddox, shults (who signed with the braves), bratton, jp,weeks,minor, etc - we never saw anyone from ut at any of our games.
Bottom line in middle tn is Delmonico is a joke and doesn't appreciate the kids from the middle tn area and I don't see that changing.
The new UT coach needs to be more visible in this area and promote ut baseball.

Sonny Gray is going to vandy. Corborn owns mid.tn.
this kid can throw.

Tennessee can do much better, so why not do better?

We're a preeminent athletic program, which means we expect excellence in all sports. I don't expect him to last and if he does, I'll be very disappointed.

VN Store

Back