Will Delmonico survive this year if we miss the SEC tourney?

LSU and Georgia and the only teams to have ever won a national title. Now try and shoot me down.

You are correct. For some reason, I was thinking about SEC teams who made the title game. Tennessee did in 51. Bama did in 83. South Carolina did a few years back. There may be more, but as you say, LSU and UGA are the only two to win it.

I agree with you that the SEC isn't the best conference historically, but I think they're the best right now and the past 10-15 years. Southern Cal isn't the dominant force it once was and neither is Texas. And many of the SEC programs are better now than they used to be.

Dude wants to bring up ancient history and not look at this year. Case in point, Tennessee beats the #1 team in the country yesterday to open the tournament. I know this is a Vol Board, but if you're honest with yourself, we all know that Vandy is the best team. This year, there is a tremendous drop off in the ACC once you get past the top 4-5 teams.

My argument is that "top to bottom", as a whole, this league is the best. Not to take away from the accomplishments of the shining stars of the west, but their conferences as a whole are a joke compared to the 12 teams of the SEC.

Even though I am not sure we should fire Coach D, but we should never keep a coach just to keep his son........I would love to see Tony field the ball alot better!

Alright, I change my mind get rid of him. His son isnt that good, we could replace him if we needed to.

What are some names that could get mentioned if in fact he does get canned??? I know Hamilton came from Clemson so maybe a Tiger assistant......What about Garth Iorg? He has pro coaching experience plus he lives in Knoxville, just thought I would throw out a name.

First of all, do you guys think Rod is probably gone, and how is our recruiting going? Do we have any impact guys coming in for the next year?

I'm not sure on recruiting.......I do think Rod is gone......2 of our last 5 games we have lost 20-2 and 15-2.......unacceptable! I think the comment that he gave in the News-Sentinal pushed Hamilton overboard!

Speaking of recruiting, I read on another board where we were really recruiting Kentrell Davis out of Alabama and Sam Runion out of NC. I don't know where we stand with them, but it sounds as though they could be real difference makers for us.

Not sure word for word but when asked about possibly being replaced he said something like....let em fire me they'll owe me a bunch of money....something like that

Not sure word for word but when asked about possibly being replaced he said something like....let em fire me they'll owe me a bunch of money....something like that

With stuff like that he needs to be fired. He makes the whole school look bad.

Do you guys know of any websites with baseball recruiting. I know of sites for football like scout.com, but are there any baseball sites.

Dude wants to bring up ancient history and not look at this year. Case in point, Tennessee beats the #1 team in the country yesterday to open the tournament. I know this is a Vol Board, but if you're honest with yourself, we all know that Vandy is the best team. This year, there is a tremendous drop off in the ACC once you get past the top 4-5 teams.

My argument is that "top to bottom", as a whole, this league is the best. Not to take away from the accomplishments of the shining stars of the west, but their conferences as a whole are a joke compared to the 12 teams of the SEC.

SEC doesn't have the titles to back up any talk being the best conference.

That Vandy game was one game.

Its not ancient history. I provided all-time statistics, so the past and present were given equal acknowledgement. And the Pac 10 are not "jokes." Six different Pac 10 teams have won titles; I'll say that's a few more than the SEC, which has managed two all time titles in their ohh so deep conference.

Here are the 4-8 seeds in the ACC
4. Clemson (ranked 19, 18th in RPI)
5. Miami (17th in RPI)
6. NC State (19th in RPI)
7. Wake Forest (24th in RPI)
8. Georgia Tech (28th in RPI)

Here are the 4-8 seeds in the SEC
4. Mississippi State (27th in RPI)
5. Ole Miss (11th in RPI)
6. Florida (28-28 on the season, 41st in RPI)
7. Alabama (61st in RPI)
8. Tennessee (56th in RPI)

How are we deeper than the ACC?

......and then there were 9-12.

Virginia Tech 68
Duke 79
Boston College 93
Maryland 97

Auburn 46
LSU 49
Kentucky 57
UGA 80

As I said, top to bottom, the SEC as a whole is stronger. And anyone would admit that UGA and LSU being at the bottom of the league this year is an absolute abberation.

The ACC has strengthened greatly, and I think they are the #2 conference in the country. The selection committee must agree as they awarded more regional host sites again this year to the SEC and most likely will hand out more at-large bids to them as they do every year.

I am disputing your claims that the Big Sky and Pacific Rim of Fire Conferences are good simply because they have one good team in them.

Championships mean very little in the argument when it comes to ranking a conference top to bottom. Frankly, I think it makes my point even clearer that most of these other baseball conferences have one super nova that outshines all of the other teams in their respective conference. How does a title won by Rice, Cal State-Fullerton or Oregon State vindicate those teams' conferences?

I don't know about you, but the more I think about Oregon State, I think I feel some serious Beaver Karma going here.

And of course, this is just my opinion. I think you have documented your argument well, I just disagree that titles mean that the team's conference is also great.

I bet he stays but is gone after next year. Especially if Borbon, Arencibia, and Adkins leave.

If this were to happen, what are your thoughts on it? I mean I know the general concensus is that just about anyone could do better than Rod, in which I agree with, but do you think Rick could come in, and get our guys to playing consistent baseball? Is he the kind of coach who can rebuild our program? I don't know much about Rick. I do know he played here in the mid-70's. If this transpires, hopefully he can get us back on track. BTW, I wonder if we will be hearing anything official about Rod's future in the coming days? Should be interesting!

VN Store

Back