WKU better than last year's Troy team

Gary Brown of espn just stated here that Tennessee wins comfortably

He buys into Butch Jones and Tennessee is more talented.

This WKU team has more talent and will likely finish with a better record than last year's Troy team which gave us fits in a tough shootout.....i just hope our defense really is that much improved...because if this game is a shoot out I on't like our chances with our young WRs...

I do think our oline will dominate and Neal and Lane should have huge days....i am just saying..this game might be tougher than some think...thy have legit talent and experience in the secondary, an oline that dominated Kentucky's d-line an 2 backs with NFL level talent. Overall, they have 5 guys on their current team who will likely be playing on Sundays...

Petrino seemed pretty confident in his press conf the other day...he said they have a good plan in place wouldn't need to do anything extraordinary to win.

I understand where you are coming from. Previous teams haven't inspired confidence regardless of the opponent. We have witnessed lots games that bitterly disappointed us over the last few years.
However, this is a new day. A new day with new leadership. A new day with players who have bought what Butch is selling. A new day where the fans no longer have to lose sleep.
I, for one, am ready to watch UT return to prominence. I have no doubts for our future. Beating WKU will be as easy as falling off a motorcycle. Petrino better brace himself for us. He may be a genius, but his players cannot compete with us physically.
Lastly, the new day that has dawned for Tennessee means that the sun will soon be setting for other teams. Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and Bama need to prepare for the inevitable darkness that will envelop their programs. The sun has risen on Rocky Top and it is glorious.

People need to realize Troy, and a lot of other teams scored so much on us because of our terrible defensive coaching. If we had a defense last year, we beat Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Troy easily. We definitely wouldn't have had a problem with Troy. Do we have Sunseri or Dooley? No. I can see why people would be a little nervous about this game...but we should still win this game going away in the 2nd half.

:good!:
was just about to type the same thing!
Defense will be a ton better than the joke we put on the field last year.:thumbsup:

plus, the days we play down to our competition is OVER!!
Now we will be bUTch slapping the weaker opponents!!

We will find out tomorrow how good WK is and also our beloved Vols. It won't be long now just over 12hrs, let's hope the curse is over and we start to rise to the top.

....said Fulmer before the Wyoming fiasco....
....said Dooley before the KY fiasco......

.................need I go on?

No. Please don't. It's unbecoming.

Fulmer is gone. Dooley is gone. Neither of them were fans on a messageboard.

As long as the coaches and team prepare, the fans can afford to not worry about this game.

So, again... Please don't go on with a horrible comparison.

Last year's Vols based on talent should have beaten Troy by at least 40 pts. Sal is easily the worst DC I have ever seen. Dooley lacked the personal coaching ability to even begin to make up for it.

I agree that WKU this year is better than Troy last year. The X factor is how much better this coaching staff is than Dooley's last staff. I hope... and tend to believe... that they are much better. But this is a very good test of that notion.

We are +21 points just by jettisoning the "Sal Vanilla Defense." Strength and conditioning +14. CBJ>CDD +10...should be more than enough to make up for losing stars of the passing game.

This WKU team has more talent and will likely finish with a better record than last year's Troy team which gave us fits in a tough shootout.....i just hope our defense really is that much improved...because if this game is a shoot out I on't like our chances with our young WRs...

I do think our oline will dominate and Neal and Lane should have huge days....i am just saying..this game might be tougher than some think...thy have legit talent and experience in the secondary, an oline that dominated Kentucky's d-line an 2 backs with NFL level talent. Overall, they have 5 guys on their current team who will likely be playing on Sundays...

Petrino seemed pretty confident in his press conf the other day...he said they have a good plan in place wouldn't need to do anything extraordinary to win.

2 backs with NFL talent, neither of which reached 100 yards rushing against KY. Come on.

So your argument is based on comparing last yrs vols to this yrs WKU team? Makes no sense. Lots of dumb threads.

So comparing how this same Vols team (not coaches, only players), minus our 3 most explosive offensive players, did against a crappier Sun Belt team than they'll face this week makes no sense? Seeing that there's no correlation, simply because we've upgraded our coaching staff, while WKU simultaneously did so with a more proven winner, is naive on your part.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So comparing how this same Vols team (not coaches, only players), minus our 3 most explosive offensive players, did against a crappier Sun Belt team than they'll face this week makes no sense? Seeing that there's no correlation simply because we've upgraded our coaching staff, while WKU simultaneously did so with a more proven winner, is naive on your part.

Apparently, ONLY UT can improve in the offseason. Lol.

Reactions: 1 person
WKU may be better than last year's Troy team, but were now better coached.
THAT MEANS A LOT!

So comparing how this same Vols team (not coaches, only players), minus our 3 most explosive offensive players, did against a crappier Sun Belt team than they'll face this week makes no sense? Seeing that there's no correlation, simply because we've upgraded our coaching staff, while WKU simultaneously did so with a more proven winner, is naive on your part.

Cool

This game really needs to kick off. Its starting to become painful to be on volnation with all the love for WKU. Good grief, with the way some of the posters on here are acting you'd think they had won a super bowl or something..

Reactions: 2 people
This game really needs to kick off. Its starting to become painful to be on volnation with all the love for WKU. Good grief, with the way some of the posters on here are acting you'd think they had won a super bowl or something..

This

Its driving me crazy. I can barely be in the football forum without getting a headache.

First, WKU is getting way too much credit for their win over UK. UK is a very very distance last place in the SEC, they might as well be a Conference USA team haha.

Second, its a home game for us.. WKU isnt used to playing in front of 102000 rowdy fans. Our home field advantage will pay big dividends for our defense. Defenses feed off energy from the crowd.

Third, I havent seen many people pointing this out but this game has a revenge factor for us. We were embarrassed by Bobby Petrino in that arky game a few years ago. The first thing Senior Daniel Hood mentioned when he was asked about this game following the AP victory was that this game is huge for us to give BP a little pay back.

Dont think for one second that just cause its a noon start that our guys will come out flat. You better believe Butch is gonna have our guys fired up and focused. You wont see lackluster bs out of our guys anymore.

With that said, we gon whip dey azz.

Last edited:

There is absolutely no way that last year's team would have shut out anyone. UT did this year.

There is absolutely no way, even with Bray and the dynamic duo, that UT ever scored TDs on 6 consecutive drives for a perfect half of football.

More than just the coaching improved, my friend. Results did.

VN Store

Back