WR Kenny O'Neal- 4 Star- 4.26 40

Also, check the Eagles. They have been close to big things, but their shortcoming is always the wide receivers. Ask McNabb how much he likes having a first rounder at wideout this season.

McNabb would probably say that first rounder Freddie Mitchell was no longer on the team. If you're talking about Stallworth, the guy has never had a single 1,000-yard or double-digit touchdown season. He's been fairly good for the Eagles when he's not hurt.

McNabb would probably say that first rounder Freddie Mitchell was no longer on the team. If you're talking about Stallworth, the guy has never had a single 1,000-yard or double-digit touchdown season. He's been fairly good for the Eagles when he's not hurt.

It's hard to do when you're catching passes from Aaron Brooks.

Mel Kiper just listed Meach as the #5 WR on the draft board if he comes out. Lets hope that is the same evaluation the NFL scouts tell Meach when they give him his analysis. If he is told he will be the #5 WR taken then he will be back at UT next season because that would mean there would be no chance of being in the 1st round.

Mel Kiper just listed Meach as the #5 WR on the draft board if he comes out. Lets hope that is the same evaluation the NFL scouts tell Meach when they give him his analysis. If he is told he will be the #5 WR taken then he will be back at UT next season because that would mean there would be no chance of being in the 1st round.

He is not going in the first round if he comes out this year.

The point being you don't build a top level NFL team taking WR's.

The quoted statement may have *some* merit, but it certainly isn't always the case.

Some Notable First Rounders:
--Michael Irvin
--sterling sharpe
--tim brown
--Torry Holt
--Randy Moss
--Herman Moore
--Alvin Harper
--plaxico burress

If you look historically, there are usually about 3-4 WR's taken in the first round. This is an average. Sometimes there are 5, sometimes there might only be one. But, on average, it is between 3-4 per year.

Not all of these guys turn out to be great. Some are complete busts. But, clearly, some turn out quite well.

I don't think this is very different from any other position. I think it is pretty illogical to point out a couple of very good wide receivers taken in later rounds and then argue that teams shouldn't be taking wide receivers in the first round. That argument could be applied to players in any position (see tom brady).

The quoted statement may have *some* merit, but it certainly isn't always the case.

Some Notable First Rounders:
--Michael Irvin
--sterling sharpe
--tim brown
--Torry Holt
--Randy Moss
--Herman Moore
--Alvin Harper
--plaxico burress

If you look historically, there are usually about 3-4 WR's taken in the first round. This is an average. Sometimes there are 5, sometimes there might only be one. But, on average, it is between 3-4 per year.

Not all of these guys turn out to be great. Some are complete busts. But, clearly, some turn out quite well.

I don't think this is very different from any other position. I think it is pretty illogical to point out a couple of very good wide receivers taken in later rounds and then argue that teams shouldn't be taking wide receivers in the first round. That argument could be applied to players in any position (see tom brady).

There are certainly differences in positions, as far as being able to find candidates to fill them. Good DL are much rarer than WR's in my opinion.

Mel Kiper's predictions are worthless. He also said Mike Williams was the best wide receiver a couple of years ago and that he would be a pro-bowler. He's about the fourth or fifth best receiver on the Lions now. I'd like to see who this brainiac has listed above Meachem.

I agree, an AA or pro bowl dl, is worth their weight in gold

I think defensive linemen are widely acknowledged as being the most likely to be NFL busts. I'm not really disagreeing with you, I just thought it was somewhat relevant considering the WR draft discussion.

Back to the original topic of this thread, is there any new news on Kenny O'Neal?

Nope, but I have been thinking that we may be willing to take a risk with O'Neal since we have a good relationship with the coaches at his community college.

sure there are alot of DL busts, that's why finding a good one is so difficult

Nope, but I have been thinking that we may be willing to take a risk with O'Neal since we have a good relationship with the coaches at his community college.

So we may take a flyer on a guy with questionable character?? that's a receipe for disaster

Well, the scales may have tilted. His QB is committed to Nebraska and NU is not only recruiting him, but his younger brother as well. His younger brother is also considering Colorado and Cal. NU is the only school recruiting both brothers.

Mel Kiper's predictions are worthless. He also said Mike Williams was the best wide receiver a couple of years ago and that he would be a pro-bowler. He's about the fourth or fifth best receiver on the Lions now. I'd like to see who this brainiac has listed above Meachem.

The players he has ahead of him are completely legit. Johnson (GT), Jarrett (USC), Ginn (OSU), and Gonzalez (OSU). Debate can certainly be made between which of those five should go in what order. But those are 5 great WR's.

I could honestly see Meach being taken 2nd in that list, though passing Jarrett would be tough.

I agree. I don't see any of those guys being better pro prospects than meach, other than johnson. I could be blinded by bias, but when i see meach play, he is the real deal holyfield.

i'm sure meach is better than sydney rice. i'm also sure he's better than jeff samardgza from ND. Him and ginn are different animals, so it is hard to compare. I'm not familiar with jarret, so i wont' offer an opinion.

what about manninghame? Is he coming out?

There is a story on Rivals about the UT coaches visiting O'Neal. Could someone please summarize what this article says in their own words? Thanks!

VN Store

Back