www.rehireroddelmonico.com

You guys are ridiculous! You're complaining about how Tennessee got to Omaha! Are you kidding. The program had not been since 1952 and you're complaining about how we got back there 3 times in 10 years. Morons. By the way, check out how we currently rank in the SEC in batting avg. and ERA.

Yes, we're complaining about how they got there, because, over the last 10 years of his tenure, they did NOTHING ELSE. They didn't even make the SEC Tournament in the majority of the other years.

You went on to list all the accomplishments of all of those players, but check the dates on those. The vast majority were before 1998. That's 10 years before his dismissal.

I'm not arguing that Rod was never good at Tennessee. He did well enough for the first half of his tenure. The second half was full of sub-.500 SEC records and two good seasons. You know what 2 good seasons out of 10 gets you? It gets your ass fired, which is exactly what happened to Rod. He's never coming back.

I have a very simple question. If the Rodfather was/is so great, then why has he been unable to land ANY of the college jobs that he's applied for. He wasn't even deemed worthy of the FIU job that he spent so much time and effort lobbying for.

If you didn't do so much research on stats, I'd think you were kidding with all of this nonsense.

Are you saying you think Buzz Peterson should be the next UT baseball coach? :idea:

Haha. No, someone posted about everyone wanting to bring back past coaches in every sport. I was wondering if Buzz is on that list.

DVF, you make a good case for Delmonico. Are you sure you're not his agent? If not, maybe you should be.

I don't think we should rehire him. Even if you think it is a good idea, it would be a PR disaster. The AD that fires him is forced to punt and rehire him after a disastrous run by his hand-picked successor? Hamilton might as well resign as soon as Delmonico was re-introduced, because he would have no credibility going forward.

What I do think is that he never should have been fired in the first place. When I see that list of the records he had over his last 10 years, my reaction is how in the heck did he get to Omaha twice and stay competitive most of the time with facilities that were way behind the rest of the SEC all that time? That said, when he was fired, there was no going back.

Also, I don't know that advertising that BA ranked us as the 26th best program in the nation under Delmonico is a point in his favor. Shouldn't we be aiming for higher than 26th? Delmonico should only be rehired if he is the right man to take us to a much higher perch than that. Can you make a case that he is?

What I do think is that he never should have been fired in the first place. When I see that list of the records he had over his last 10 years, my reaction is how in the heck did he get to Omaha twice and stay competitive most of the time with facilities that were way behind the rest of the SEC all that time? That said, when he was fired, there was no going back.

Well, the simple answer there is that his facilities were not way behind the conference for most of that period. When LNS was built in the early 90's, it was one of the best in the country and it was built just as Rod wanted it. The building of minor league stadium clones didn't begin until the mid-00s.

The team uses the men's AD weight room, which is definitely not way behind, neither is the training room. They have also had use of the indoor football facility and have batting cages that drop from the ceiling in there. That's not something that most schools have. There were also covered cages under LNS and beyond the outfield wall.

You also have to consider that any falling behind that we did was a direct result of Rod refusing to get out in the community to raise the funds to upgrade the stadium. There were designs for upgrades to LNS as early as 2001, but Rod felt that the UTAD should pay for them out of pocket, rather than him getting out and helping raise the money like coaches for other sports did. As time went on, you saw new soccer and softball stadiums built because coaches in those sports spearheaded efforts to land a leadership gift to build stadiums.

Despite having several players that played for HIM in the majors, Rod was neither able nor willing to land that leadership gift. With all of the wealthy baseball alums, Rod couldn't get anyone to make the gift to get the stadium renovated. It's VERY telling that players like Helton and Burke donated large sums to the current renovations, but were only willing to pledge money after Rod was gone.

You obviously have not been to other SEC schools and other conferences to see the facilities they have to offer in their baseball complexes. How Coach D recruited anyone here to a school that did not give a hoot about baseball, is beyond me. The players came because of the coach - not the school. UT did not give a crap about what really was the no. 3 sport. 11th ranked operating budget and one of the lowest paid coaching staffs.

That is incorrect. They pledged the money while Rod was here. The anchor gift had to be landed 1st. Rod actually met with and help land that gift. The gifts were committed before he left.

By the way, more "meaningless" stats or as we fans of Coach D like to call them - "FACTS" for your reading enjoyment. Rehire Rod!

All-America Student Athletes
A total of 30 University of Tennessee players
received All-America honors during the
Rod Delmonico era. Prior to 1990, only 7
Players were developed to that level of distinction.
Of the 30 players, three went on to become
three-time All-America picks and three more
were two-time honorees. 14 players have been
named to the Freshman All-America team.

Delmonico Era All America Honorees
2007 Yan Gomes, 1B Scott Schroeffel, OF
Jeff Lockwood, UTIL Augie Ojeda, SS
2006 J.P. Arencibia, C Jose Vazquez, OF
Tony Delmonico, SS 1995 Todd Helton, 1B/LHP
2005 James Adkins, LHP (National Player of the Year)
J. P Arencibia, C R.A. Dickey, RHP
Julio Borbon, OF Travis Copley, DH
Luke Hochevar, RHP (consensus) 1994 Todd Helton, 1B/LHP
Eli Iorg, OF R.A. Dickey, RHP
Chase Headley, 3B (National Freshman of the Year)
2001 Chris Burke, SS Chris Freeman, RHP
2000 Chris Burke, 2B Bubba Trammell, OF
1999 Chris Burke, 2B 1993 Todd Helton, 1B/LHP
Stevie Daniel, SS 1992 Doug Hecker, 1B
1998 Jeff Pickler, 2B (consensus) 1991 Doug Hecker, 1B
Sonny Cortez, OF Mike Basse, OF
Kurt Keene, INF 1990 Mike Basse, OF
1996 R.A. Dickey, RHP

All-Southeastern Conference
Student Athletes

Since the SEC began awarding All-SEC honors in 1951, the
University of Tennessee has had 73 selections in 53 years.
Since Rod Delmonico became head coach in 1990, he
Developed 40 players selected as All-SEC honorees, including
22 first-team selections.

Oh, here's some more and you're going to love this:

Top-Ranked Recruiting Classes

During the Rod Delmonico era, the University of Tennessee attracted some of the top student athletes in the country, even though ½ of the season played in Knoxville, Tennessee is in winter weather temperatures. 4 of Rod Delmonico’s recruiting classes were ranked in the top 6 nationally, while 5 were in the top 10 and 7 were in the top 15. In 1994, the recruiting class was ranked 2nd in the nation.

• Five top-10 recruiting classes in the 90s
• 10 top-30 recruiting classes in the 90s
• 1994 recruiting class was rated No. 2 in the nation and went on to the 1995 NCAA College World Series
• Players have come from 23 different states, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Canada

Yes, we're complaining about how they got there, because, over the last 10 years of his tenure, they did NOTHING ELSE. They didn't even make the SEC Tournament in the majority of the other years.

You went on to list all the accomplishments of all of those players, but check the dates on those. The vast majority were before 1998. That's 10 years before his dismissal.

I'm not arguing that Rod was never good at Tennessee. He did well enough for the first half of his tenure. The second half was full of sub-.500 SEC records and two good seasons. You know what 2 good seasons out of 10 gets you? It gets your ass fired, which is exactly what happened to Rod. He's never coming back.

I have a very simple question. If the Rodfather was/is so great, then why has he been unable to land ANY of the college jobs that he's applied for. He wasn't even deemed worthy of the FIU job that he spent so much time and effort lobbying for.

If you didn't do so much research on stats, I'd think you were kidding with all of this nonsense.

During the Rod Delmonico era, the University of Tennessee attracted some of the top student athletes in the country, even though ½ of the season played in Knoxville, Tennessee is in winter weather temperatures. 4 of Rod Delmonico’s recruiting classes were ranked in the top 6 nationally, while 5 were in the top 10 and 7 were in the top 15. In 1994, the recruiting class was ranked 2nd in the nation.

• 1994 recruiting class was rated No. 2 in the nation and went on to the 1995 NCAA College World Series
• Players have come from 23 different states, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Canada

You can spin it all you want....his last 10 years were mostly underachievements. THAT is fact.

Most of what you are spouting actually proves Deer's point...he had the talent and still didn't win the majority of the time.

You obviously have not been to other SEC schools and other conferences to see the facilities they have to offer in their baseball complexes. How Coach D recruited anyone here to a school that did not give a hoot about baseball, is beyond me. The players came because of the coach - not the school. UT did not give a crap about what really was the no. 3 sport. 11th ranked operating budget and one of the lowest paid coaching staffs.

You obviously didn't read Deer's post. He addressed all of this.

I have seen several other facilities. The key difference is that the ones that were nicer than LNS (namely the new Alex Box at LSU and the new USC Stadium) all came on-line after Rod was gone. Alabama and Florida don't have stadiums that knock your socks off and they seem to do pretty well for themselves.

But, you keep saying "facilities" which implies more than just a stadium. What other areas were we lacking in? Weight room, training room and academic center were all top of the line. Locker room was renovated three times between 1998 and 2010.

You say that baseball is the "#3 sport." Ok, that's fine, might even say #4. But what SEC school is baseball not at least 3rd on the list? Should we put it ahead of men's basketball, which draws 20k a game? Women's basketball that draws 15k a game?

You also say that UT's budget was 11th out of 12, which is something Rod used to harp on, but was proven to be false after he left. What more should we have been spending money on? His recruiting budget allowed him to draw in plenty of great players. The team was allowed to travel to warm weather locations for early-season games. What else should we have spent on?

Why am I asking you questions? You have yet to respond with anything other than listing more accomplishments. I can find positive stats about the Raleigh era as well and we all know those wouldn't mean jack squat.

So he wasted the talent he brought in.

Who really gives a damn if you have a roster of future MLB HOF's if you don't do a thing with them in college?

You can preach stats and recruiting rankings all day long, but the fact remains that under Delmonico, we were an underachieving, middle of the pack team.

True. We haven't lost every game we've played with ETSU under him. After he's fired, we do have some hope of reaching the Bucs' level again.

Haha, yeah. Raleigh has had some guys with great individual stats as well. I'm just saying that a coach is evaluated on wins and losses, not on if he has a player lead the conference in stolen bases.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

These are the perfect circumstances to bring Coach D back. In 1990 he came into a program that was coming off of its worst record in the history of the program. By year 3 he won the division, then the conference then Omaha in year 5. He can do it again. You know he can. :salute:

VN Store

Back