Y’all have to help me understand the problem with this hire....

Why does Elliot have more upside? Because he put up good offensive numbers in the abysmal ACC with Trevor Lawrence, Amari Rogers, Tee Higgins, Travis Etienne, Hunter Renfro, etc etc etc? I could put up great offensive numbers in that scenario too, especially if I had Dabo overriding any bad calls I was going to make.

We have something to compare Heupel to. He has been a HC for several seasons now.

Can he improve......well sure. However we can all see what he has done as a HC......which I don’t think is bad by any means.

Elliot has been doing his thing at Clemson for over 6 years. We don’t know what he will do as a head coach. He could fail miserably; however he could become a huge success. He recruits well, he knows offense well, he develops well........unknown......but everything which is known is good......hence the “upside.”

If you know everything there is to know about someone and their at their peak growth.....there isn’t a ton of “upside.” When you don’t and they haven’t.........”upside.”

I guess at this point it may just not get any better. I’ve refused to accept it for a long time. If it’s the best that can be done then hire him. I think personally it’s just the fear that UT football will never be relevant again if the next coach isn’t the right one. I suppose that could be the case regardless of who is hired.

I worry about the same things, but even when you land your top guy, it doesn't guarantee success. Frost is floundering at Nebraska. Harbaugh has never gotten over the hump at Michigan. Chip Kelly looks pretty dull at UCLA. None of this is a science, it's just a crap shoot.

I think it just raised everyone’s hopes and expectations when they went big and hired a top 5 salary AD and talked it up like they were going to make a big splash coaching hire, but then potentially wind up with someone like Heupel. The visual just looks like you break the bank for an AD, then go cheap on your coach, but given our situation with the investigations, I know that has limited some options. Nothing against him, and I’ll be fully behind him if he’s the guy, but that’s just my take on it. It’s hard where we don’t know what all has gone on behind the scenes and what efforts and offers were actually made to potential candidates. As fans we want to believe the administration has the love and desire for Tennessee to be great again like we do and has left no stone unturned, but their actions over the last several years have brought that into question.

Reactions: DWright39
It's because people deluded themselves into thinking that Kiffin or Freeze were the only options. Are they better head coaches? Maybe, we really don't know. Are they better offensive minds? I can't tell you, because Heupel's offenses have run like clockwork.

Freeze maybe. Huepel has absolutely destroyed Lane head to head.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We have something to compare Heupel to. He has been a HC for several seasons now.

Can he improve......well sure. However we can all see what he has done as a HC......which I don’t think is bad by any means.

Elliot has been doing his thing at Clemson for over 6 years. We don’t know what he will do as a head coach. He could fail miserably; however he could become a huge success. He recruits well, he knows offense well, he develops well........unknown......but everything which is known is good......hence the “upside.”

If you know everything there is to know about someone and their at their peak growth.....there isn’t a ton of “upside.” When you don’t and they haven’t.........”upside.”

Elliott hasn't been the sole OC at Clemson for more than 1 season, and there is a significant possibility that Streeter called some of the plays this past year. He was a RB coach and Co-OC with Jeff Scott before that. Put simply, we have no way to know if Elliott is an offensive genius, if he has ridden the wave of having the best players in a bad conference, or if he is just being boosted by Dabo.

Freeze maybe. Huepel has absolutely destroyed Lane head to head.

Facts don't matter. Kiffin is the hot girl that spurned us, and so many want him back because of that. I would love to have Lane back, because I like the dude as a personality. I also think he's a good coach. I don't necessarily think he's a great coach. It's not going to happen, and I'm mature enough to admit that, unlike many.

It tells me because Frost got them to 13-0 once they think he set the new standard. He didn’t, Heupel went 28-8 since then and that’s not good enough for them, their delusion puts our delusion to shame.

They are the new money upstart fans that think they are entitled to undefeated seasons every year. It reminds me a lot of us in the 90's.

Reactions: Sydney5000
Facts don't matter. Kiffin is the hot girl that spurned us, and so many want him back because of that. I would love to have Lane back, because I like the dude as a personality. I also think he's a good coach. I don't necessarily think he's a great coach. It's not going to happen, and I'm mature enough to admit that, unlike many.
I like Kiffin and hold nothing against him for leaving for his dream job. If I were a coach of any program and UT called I’d be gone and would be as ruthless about it as he was if it was necessary. That being said I’m not sure if he’s quite as great as he gets hyped up to be by a lot of people. I’d still take him though

Trajectory is precisely why I would choose Chadwell over Heupel. Chadwell has more HC experience and has an upward trajectory pretty much everywhere he's been with the exception of his last year at CS. I say, hire the man.

Chadwell would be my top choice at the moment for a number of reasons. I have to admit that Heupel's offense was better than Chadwell's in every category but touchdowns in three less games last season, and the touchdowns weren't that far off, either.

Elliott hasn't been the sole OC at Clemson for more than 1 season, and there is a significant possibility that Streeter called some of the plays this past year. He was a RB coach and Co-OC with Jeff Scott before that. Put simply, we have no way to know if Elliott is an offensive genius, if he has ridden the wave of having the best players in a bad conference, or if he is just being boosted by Dabo.

I was simply answering his question about upside.

I personally don’t “know” who has called plays for Clemson. However I have read several articles which stated Elliot was the play caller, and have seen quotes from Dabo stating Elliot calls the plays. I also read (several articles) stating that Elliot was given play calling duties when Morris left in late 2014.

If your a co-OC and you call the plays......I suggest your probably the offense guy.

However again I was merely answering a question.

Fee free to rebuttal the answer I gave.

I was simply answering his question about upside.

I personally don’t “know” who has called plays for Clemson. However I have read several articles which stated Elliot was the play caller, and have seen quotes from Dabo stating Elliot calls the plays. I also read (several articles) stating that Elliot was given play calling duties when Morris left in late 2014.

If your a co-OC and you call the plays......I suggest your probably the offense guy.

However again I was merely answering a question.

Fee free to rebuttal the answer I gave.

I came off a little testy, also. My bad. I guess my ultimate point is that I think there are a lot of cooks in the offensive kitchen for Clemson, so it's difficult to really know if Elliott is the guy behind the curtain. I would rather not hire a coordinator who has no head coaching experience, though, so I am a bit biased.

I came off a little testy, also. My bad. I guess my ultimate point is that I think there are a lot of cooks in the offensive kitchen for Clemson, so it's difficult to really know if Elliott is the guy behind the curtain. I would rather not hire a coordinator who has no head coaching experience, though, so I am a bit biased.

I think we would all “rather” not hire someone without HC experience.

Just for me.......right now......I’d take him and the “upside” I think he has over “some” of the names mentioned.

He certainly may flame out; however he would probably recruit well, he “should” do well with offense and he isn’t a current HC around .500.

The main problem “if” Heupel gets hired..........is Chadwell & Elliot.

Chadwell has proven he can build programs. He is offensive minded. He is from Tennessee. He just seems to be a much better choice.

And Elliot certainly has more upside......a gamble yea......but won’t Heupel be one too?

“If” Heupel is the guy.......and we find White didn’t even talk with Chadwell........wow.......that would be a dagger to Tennessee fans.

however......we don’t really know, and I’ll remain hopeful for another maybe 12 hours or so.

Chadwell had significant NCAA issues, didn't he?

Last edited:
I think we would all “rather” not hire someone without HC experience.

Just for me.......right now......I’d take him and the “upside” I think he has over “some” of the names mentioned.

He certainly may flame out; however he would probably recruit well, he “should” do well with offense and he isn’t a current HC around .500.

All of that is sensible. I do think that JH's head coaching record is much better than the people that are scoffing at it on this Board, though.

Reactions: Samthebam
Chadwell just significant NCAA issues, didn't he?

No, the NCAA issues actually connected to him are very minor. He had a social media post or message to a recruit that was impermissible.

The issue people attribute to him was from Charleston Southern where the bookstore told the players that if they didn't use all of their book and school supply stipend money they would just lose it. So, instead of buying binders and pencils, or whatever, the players bought jewelry and electronics. This is at the campus bookstore. CSU either didn't have a compliance staff, or it was bare bones. Something like that wouldn't happen here, where the players' hands are held at every turn.

Reactions: JoAllan
Chadwell just significant NCAA issues, didn't he?

Stupid of me to say this......I know, but I’m going to anyway.

Yes and no

He wasn’t found to have done anything......or even to have known anything.

Some players used money they receive (all of them get a bit) and bought crap from the campus stores they weren’t supposed to.

They bought all kinds of crap. From what I read (which was just a couple of articles and I don’t know how reputable they are) a compliance guy was in on it with the players.

Chadwell didn’t get into any trouble but the program did.

No, the NCAA issues actually connected to him are very minor. He had a social media post or message to a recruit that was impermissible.

The issue people attribute to him was from Charleston Southern where the bookstore told the players that if they didn't use all of their book and school supply stipend money they would just lose it. So, instead of buying binders and pencils, or whatever, the players bought jewelry and electronics. This is at the campus bookstore. CSU either didn't have a compliance staff, or it was bare bones. Something like that wouldn't happen here, where the players' hands are held at every turn.

I would love him coming here, but fear he won't be seriously considered because of all that. Look how many wins were vacated. It went on and on for a long time. Multiple years. Maybe he or someone on his staff should have noticed. Kids talk. Word gets around to coaches.

If we want to get in the best possible light with the NCAA, if that's even possible, we can't hire anyone with prior issues. Need squeaky clean coach. Sadly, because I would love him here. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: JoAllan
“No coordinators like Pruitt or Elliot!! Head Coach experience is a must!” ✅

“Not just any HC experience, we don’t need Dykes, he better be a winner!” ✅

“We don’t need any NCAA baggage!” ✅

“Football has evolved, no defensive minds, we need an offensive guru!” ✅✅✅✅

Why don’t we like this hire again?? Is it because he’s not P5? AAC is as close as you can get without actually being P5, I would say they are a stronger conference than PAC-12 and maybe even Big 12 at this moment, and we just took one of their best coaches.

Given the circumstances it is a pretty good hire. He needs a very strong defensive staff and some recruiters. The TN brand alone signs a top 20 class, but if he lights up the scoreboard Neyland will rock and the cruits will come. Kids want to play the style of football he plays.

He continued to build on O'Leary's work. He coached his quarterback into a Heisman winner and had the offense rocking. But I guess to you that isn't building anything. Smh...

What? No UCF player won the Heisman, you seem to be conflating his time as a Chip Kelly assistant with his run at UCF. He had one very good year at UCF and one full recruiting class there.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back