Y’all have to help me understand the problem with this hire....

What was UCFs record this last year? At this point I’d settle for Elliot. Not having any HC experience is the only thing I’m not crazy about. If it’s the best UT can do then why not roll the dice?
Just shut up. Seriously. All you do is complain about everything, which at this point, is NOTHING. No one has been named, no one knows what's really going on, yet you're whining incessantly about someone you have no freaking clue about.

“No coordinators like Pruitt or Elliot!! Head Coach experience is a must!” ✅

“Not just any HC experience, we don’t need Dykes, he better be a winner!” ✅

“We don’t need any NCAA baggage!” ✅

“Football has evolved, no defensive minds, we need an offensive guru!” ✅✅✅✅

Why don’t we like this hire again?? Is it because he’s not P5? AAC is as close as you can get without actually being P5, I would say they are a stronger conference than PAC-12 and maybe even Big 12 at this moment, and we just took one of their best coaches.
Simply ask Mike Shula why no established coach wants to come to UT.

Shula tried to lead Alabama from NCAA hell but he couldn't. Has Shula been a HC since Alabama? That's a no. Nowhere. Not college, not pro. Is Alabama not a great, historically tremendous program? Yes. Did Shula not have some success there? Yes. Enough? I guess not.

Coming to UT right now isn't exactly a "sure fire good move" for an established or even up and coming coach.

Reactions: Samthebam and Carp
Facts don't matter. Kiffin is the hot girl that spurned us, and so many want him back because of that. I would love to have Lane back, because I like the dude as a personality. I also think he's a good coach. I don't necessarily think he's a great coach. It's not going to happen, and I'm mature enough to admit that, unlike many.
Hiring Kiffin back would be like marrying the side piece that your wife caught you with. Can never be trusted

Just shut up. Seriously. All you do is complain about everything, which at this point, is NOTHING. No one has been named, no one knows what's really going on, yet you're whining incessantly about someone you have no freaking clue about.
Why don’t you stop bitching and moaning about me bitching and moaning. If you don’t like what I have to say there is an ignore function. Try using it.

I value SEC success as a head coach way more than not having NCAA baggage. UTAD is going to get buried by NCAA or not and hiring someone who has a history but is not subject to any current show cause will have nothing to do with it. Lawyers will see to that. Hire the best they can get to win on the field. If the past few days worth of turn downs are any indication, there are only two logical choices assuming Kiffin will not leave Ole Miss after one season. I have no idea whether Malzahn would come here. Everyone says Freeze will come here. If it makes them feel better, ask Gus first. We do not have to settle for another project coach.

Why don’t we like this hire again?? Is it because he’s not P5? AAC is as close as you can get without actually being P5, I would say they are a stronger conference than PAC-12 and maybe even Big 12 at this moment, and we just took one of their best coaches.
Because he was fired by OU as an OC and UCF has regressed under him. Dykes would have been a better hire.

UCF fans will be thrilled if we hire Heupel away. That should tell you something.
UCF football fans didn't exist before 2007, and the few that did exist stormed the field after beating Marshall once...

I'm not sold on JH but another way to look at him is maybe the success that Frost had was JH because Frost has not been dynamic at Nebraska. JH has kept the ship steady @ UCF sans the Covid year with multiple opt outs. Remember a lot contributed Fulmer success to Cut and Cut did well at long time bad programs like Ole Miss and Duke. A lot said Chad Morris was key to Dabo success but that did not play out. So we know Elliot is probably not the wizard behind Dabo because they've had different OC's since 2014. Just another perspective I'm sure of one thing no matter who the HC is he will be hated by at least 1/2 of VN.

It is different than all three of those hires. Dooley had a losing record as a head coach. Pruitt was a career assistant. It's closest to Jones, who was here for 5 years, and gave us the best football we've had in the past 12 years at least. I hate Butch, but he was the best of those three. By all accounts, Heupel is not a dud of a coach. Maybe he won't work out, but there is no way to say he absolutely won't sitting here tonight.
It's different because JH is a totally different human being. Some people on here want to act like coaches are like batteries. You switch them out and the exact same results are produced. I'm not saying JH is the answer. Hell I don't know if he is or isn't. We don't even know if JH has been hired! But the whole "he's Butch Jones 2.0 or he's another Dooley" is just nonsense.

Exactly what Brave Vol just said. Analyzing a coaches last 3 records etc. is ridiculous because there are way too many factors to weigh. It’s not plug and play and get results. It’s got a lot to do with culture and schemes and, well, coaching. All I really know about Heupel is he was a good QB, and has been a good-great coach with an awesome offense. That’s actually all any of us know. So it sounds good to me.

I don’t hate the hire, I think people overestimate the amount and the quality of coaches who would want this job right now. I just generally don’t want guys who took over a great program and sustained that success, like JH or Butch Jones. I want guys who took a program that was performing poorly and elevated it, like Napier or Chadwell.
or kiffin or freeze (along with chadwell thats at least 3 sittimg head coaches that want the job)

Trajectory is precisely why I would choose Chadwell over Heupel. Chadwell has more HC experience and has an upward trajectory pretty much everywhere he's been with the exception of his last year at CS. I say, hire the man.
Yeah I’m with you , Heupel trajectory sucks

Exactly. I’d be happy with a coach that did less with more or built something. Not one with a near losing record or one that started with a 13-0 team and got worse. I’d be even happier if they would get over this Moral Compass U bull crap.
When you replace a coach that went 13-0 you are not going to improve on his record. Heck, he couldn't improve on that record. He would also have trouble repeating that record year after year.

Simply ask Mike Shula why no established coach wants to come to UT.

Shula tried to lead Alabama from NCAA hell but he couldn't. Has Shula been a HC since Alabama? That's a no. Nowhere. Not college, not pro. Is Alabama not a great, historically tremendous program? Yes. Did Shula not have some success there? Yes. Enough? I guess not.

Coming to UT right now isn't exactly a "sure fire good move" for an established or even up and coming coach.

Everyone really needs to read this. Any coach taking over right now is fairly likely to be out of a job in 5 years. They have to realize this. This program is in shambles at this point with a bunch of talent transferring out and pending sanctions on the way. Literally, we'll be rebuilding from the ground up. If you're an up and coming hot name coach, it's a huge risk to put you're future coaching career in jeopardy by taking this job.

CJH has been successful pretty much everywhere he's been, either as an OC or a HC. He performed better at UCF vs better competition than Butch did at Cincy.

Reactions: Samthebam
Here’s my issue:
No one was happy with Pruitt. So we “self investigate “ to get rid of him so we can avoid paying a $12 million buy out. If we just fired him and paid the buyout none of these violations would have cropped up and we could have easily hired freeze. But no we are Tennessee we aren’t serious about winning. Name me a university that has self investigated after a credible source tells them they have heard of violations happening

We've become the JETS fans at the NFL draft

Reactions: Rickyvol77

You left off your list "proven winner in the SEC" Maybe I'm wrong but Heupel's success as a head coach seems more related to Scott Frost. Just like we were fooled into believing Butch Jones was successful because he followed a really successful coach at Cincy.

You left off your list "proven winner in the SEC" Maybe I'm wrong but Heupel's success as a head coach seems more related to Scott Frost. Just like we were fooled into believing Butch Jones was successful because he followed a really successful coach at Cincy.
His offenses in the SEC at Mizzou were pretty legit

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back