2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NCAA and its power conferences are defendants in an antitrust class action lawsuit, House v. NCAA, which argues that the association is breaking federal law by placing any restrictions on how athletes make money from selling the rights to their name, image or likeness. The case is scheduled to go to court in January 2025. If the plaintiffs win at trial, the NCAA and its schools could be liable to pay more than $4 billion in damages, which has motivated many leaders across the industry to seek a settlement. In reference to Chuckiepoo's article.

The NCAA and its power conferences are defendants in an antitrust class action lawsuit, House v. NCAA, which argues that the association is breaking federal law by placing any restrictions on how athletes make money from selling the rights to their name, image or likeness. The case is scheduled to go to court in January 2025. If the plaintiffs win at trial, the NCAA and its schools could be liable to pay more than $4 billion in damages, which has motivated many leaders across the industry to seek a settlement. In reference to Chuckiepoo's article.
Actually, @Rooster1 brought that article to the table. 😇

Lady Vols question: Are both whitehorn and the penn state girl in the boat ?

-AP regarding Whitehorn and Kapinus
some known sources say Whitehorn is a lock and only one or two has hinted of Kapinus
I feel pretty strong in Ruby Whitehorn as my trusted sources have implied strongly
But as for Kapinus, if the committ has happened and will be revealed,,thisis a much better kept secret

However neither has been officially announced or confirmed at this writing,,,for me anyway

some known sources say Whitehorn is a lock and only one or two has hinted of Kapinus
I feel pretty strong in Ruby Whitehorn as my trusted sources have implied strongly
But as for Kapinus, if the committ has happened and will be revealed,,thisis a much better kept secret

However neither has been officially announced or confirmed at this writing,,,for me anyway
Same here as I have not heard anything except some saying Austin Price has said "Whitehorn imo has told the staff. Feel good on PSU but haven’t heard for sure."

It would be great if both commit and not sure if any other transfers are in the pipeline but guess backups are in place if we lose both or either.

for me anyway...Really!

Ehh that’s one I’m not sure I have a big want for tbh.

42-31% shooter and 5’8

Might be more of a system take but won’t be mad if she ends up at Marquette
  • PTS
    53rd
  • REB
    150+
  • AST
    150+

• FG%
    150+
    You don't want a Junior who is scoring 18.2 pts per game and 4.2 rebounds? I did not realize we were so blessed with talent to not want her!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehh that’s one I’m not sure I have a big want for tbh.

42-31% shooter and 5’8

Might be more of a system take but won’t be mad if she ends up at Marquette

She would have to be ok with being a depth recruit. If we get Kapinus as well I don’t see us going that direction. If we were to take anyone else I’d think it would be another big with some eligibility.

Amari had plenty of opportunities to perform but always played at the same speed, did not like to play in the low post, and lacked any aggression at all. She was a great teammate but just did not fit into what UConn needed her to do. I hope she can find new life in Maryland as she is a really good kid.
This wasn’t meant to be serious, I don’t really even know anything about her.

You taking the side that D1 athletes take the summer off and don’t work with individual coaches to get ready for the next season while honing their skills?
I had a co worker whose son and daughter played AAU basketball when they were 14-15 and she got them both private coaching thinking they would get a college scholarship. The daughter did get a partial scholarship but it was for volleyball.
My cousin had a daughter that was big into swimming and had a private coach during for about 5 years. She would practice an hour before school and 2 hours after school. A lot more during the summer. She did win the state high school championship in a couple events. She did get a scholarship to an excellent school and is now a doctor. I mentioned to my cousin how great it was that she got a scholarship and they replied that what they spent regarding swimming (travel, pool fees, private coaching, etc.) would have paid for her college.

Point being (which is what you were alluding to) is that most elite athletes improve mostly by going to various camps and private coaching and working hard on their on.

I had a co worker whose son and daughter played AAU basketball when they were 14-15 and she got them both private coaching thinking they would get a college scholarship. The daughter did get a partial scholarship but it was for volleyball.
My cousin had a daughter that was big into swimming and had a private coach during for about 5 years. She would practice an hour before school and 2 hours after school. A lot more during the summer. She did win the state high school championship in a couple events. She did get a scholarship to an excellent school and is now a doctor. I mentioned to my cousin how great it was that she got a scholarship and they replied that what they spent regarding swimming (travel, pool fees, private coaching, etc.) would have paid for her college.

Point being (which is what you were alluding to) is that most elite athletes improve mostly by going to various camps and private coaching and working hard on their on.

Sure, at this level, all top flight players do a lot of work on their own and many have own strength and conditioning coaches and skill coaches.

But here is the question-- if a certain coach should not be given credit for player development, then why is that same coach, by the same people making the first attribution, also being held responsible for other players not developing?

I know this from son's and daughters collegiate soccer careers. The amount of time a coach has to work with a player on skill development is relatively small as much of the season is devoted to tactical matters. It is hard for athletes to find much time in the season, for example, for strength and conditioning. They are more in a maintenance mode and the improvements come in the off season and then NCAA rules limit how much time they can have with coaches. In the off season, so-call "captains' practices", which are largely athlete directed are a big of the off season process.

But, coaches push athletes to develop certain skills and learn to play in ways that might not otherwise due, as well as identifying flaws in their game that have gone unnoticed. From there, it is up to the athlete to make the requisite changes.

There is also the learning the tactical/mental side of the game. In the soccer world, this would mean becoming better at field positioning, learning when to make certain kinds of runs at certain times, subtleties about defending as a team and each persons role in the formation and so on. B-ball has the same dynamics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back