Recruiting Football Talk VII

And I knew people who thought Emmitt Smith sucked and was only any good because of the people around him. I'm thinking you still have to admit the man was good even if he played for FU.
He didn't suck obviously.

But his backups averaged barely less than he did.

It was their OL more than anything.

Emmitt and that OL was one of the beginning points of GMs realizing RBs weren't as valuable as once thought...compared to OLs and passing. Still took them years to shift their actions.

No. Pruitt vacated all of those wins but 2 because he was arguably the least intelligent coach in college football history. Borderline retarded, probably due to inbreeding.

After the NCAA dust settled, his final conference record at UT was 2-16, 11%.

Getting us into trouble carries a lot of weight. Pruitt, all things considered, was the worst. And it’s somewhat close with Dooley second, but not thaaat close.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
No. Pruitt vacated all of those wins but 2 because he was arguably the least intelligent coach in college football history. Borderline retarded, probably due to inbreeding.

After the NCAA dust settled, his final conference record at UT was 2-16, 11%.

Getting us into trouble carries a lot of weight. Pruitt, all things considered, was the worst. And it’s somewhat close with Dooley second, but not thaaat close.
Phh.

Try telling any Vol fan we didn't beat Auburn...especially when everyone was cheating.

Everyone knows damn well what happened on the field... 😏

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
He didn't suck obviously.

But his backups averaged barely less than he did.

It was their OL more than anything.

Emmitt and that OL was one of the beginning points of GMs realizing RBs weren't as valuable as once thought...compared to OLs and passing. Still took them years to shift their actions.
I’m biased, but this is much more than a good OL. His balance and strength were incredible.

Edit: not sure if the video can be viewed

Reactions: knoxvol52
I’m biased, but this is much more than a good OL. His balance and strength were incredible.

Emmitt was the man...

Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years without him.

Remember after first Super Bowl win Emmitt held out for more money and Jerry didn't pay him til after Cowboys started 0-2 . Then the checkbook flew open.

He was definitely very good and ran for more yards than Barry Sanders. Though, my plug, Sanders was a better runner. Emmit did benefit from an awesome OL.
Awesome OL which had only one HOF level player in its original lineup (Erik Williams)…Larry Allen happened later. Nate Newton was a journeyman and Mark Tuinei was a converted DL. It worked because Jimmy was dogged about them working towards an end game…maximized dosage of Emmitt. Doesn’t work for any other RB imo. As far as TALENT level, Detroit’s was much more storied. Two actual HOF’s in that group. They were shortchanged by the Run&Shoot. Get in the way and allow Barry to do his thing. Sanders is nowhere close as brilliant in Jimmy’s scheme…once again imo.

Emmitt was the man...

Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years without him.

Remember after first Super Bowl win Emmitt held out for more money and Jerry didn't pay him til after Cowboys started 0-2 . Then the checkbook flew open.
Jerry valued Troy and like many felt any RB could be plugged behind that line Jimmy constructed and flourish…he larned and paid. That might have been the beginning of the rumblings that doomed the Jimmy and Jerry relationship.

Awesome OL which had only one HOF level player in its original lineup (Erik Williams)…Larry Allen happened later. Nate Newton was a journeyman and Mark Tuinei was a converted DL. It worked because Jimmy was dogged about them working towards an end game…maximized dosage of Emmitt. Doesn’t work for any other RB imo. As far as TALENT level, Detroit’s was much more storied. Two actual HOF’s in that group. They were shortchanged by the Run&Shoot. Get in the way and allow Barry to do his thing. Sanders is nowhere close as brilliant in Jimmy’s scheme…once again imo.
At times, Emmit had three pro bowlers on that OL. And then the Lions, oh those Lions. Barry ran around as if his life depended on it (it did). That line leaked like a sieve. Yet, very often, he made one, two, three, and more defenders miss. It was amazing. I was at some of those games while living in Detroit. Emmit was a good runner but for me, Barry was other wordly in his shiftiness. I would have loved to see Barry on a good team during those years. I say this even though Dallas is my team (a little less interest with their awful owner).

At times, Emmit had three pro bowlers on that OL. And then the Lions, oh those Lions. Barry ran around as if his life depended on it (it did). That line leaked like a sieve. Yet, very often, he made one, two, three, and more defenders miss. It was amazing. I was at some of those games while living in Detroit. Emmit was a good runner but for me, Barry was other wordly in his shiftiness. I would have loved to see Barry on a good team during those years. I say this even though Dallas is my team (a little less interest with their awful owner).
Watch some of Emmitt’s highlights. He didn’t always get a clean hole. He ran over and around defenders a bunch. Barry Sanders was an elite back, but I don’t think you have to downgrade Emmit to get there. I’m was at the Falcons game when 3-4 defenders had Emmit wrapped up, and he ended up scoring on a long run. His balance was incredible.

It was the scheme…and holding blocks for a freelancing RB isn’t conducive to dominating your assignment. The Cowboys OL optics with their guy hitting the hole and not dancing behind the LOS was advantageous towards Pro Bowls. Once again, Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown were two HOF’s in that “sieve”. With a halfway normal scheme, their legacy was elite.

Kirk Cousins playing Quarterback for Falcons this season will open the field up even more for Bijan Robinson.

NFC offensive player of the year this season while leading Falcons to NFC South division Champions. Bijan will win the award.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back