2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I agree. Gainey can go get his own shot. I could see him averaging 12-15.
I think Gainey could average 12-15 per game as well but he would need 30+ minutes to do it. If we have both Zeigler and Lanier getting minimum 30 minutes per game in the backcourt, Gainey may earn the rest of those 20 minutes, so doubt he would get enough shots for 12-15. Last year he averaged 18.4 minutes per game and averaged 6.8 ppg. He definitely left alot of points off the board with a low FG % but he would have to improve his productivity by a significant amount. If he can give us 8-9 per game that would be great. If Lanier doesn't sign, then I'm right there with you as he would get alot of run.

I agree with you. You make a change to fix an issue. What problem is being solved? Inconsistency? Blocked shots? Improving ability to get a shot off?
The "issue" being fixed would be different for each.

For Lanier, he has a low release, so the "fix" would be to bring his release point up higher, making it less blockable and allowing him to take a shot with less space between him and his defender.
For Dubar, he has a hitch in his shot in which he brings it over from the left, which slows his shot down.

I suspect, as others have said, neither of these issues may be tinkered with because they're both seniors. BUT if one were to be tinkered with, I'd think Dubar's would be the easier fix. His actual release looks good. It would just be a matter of changing where he starts the ball before bringing it up into the shooting position. It wouldn't really affect his shot to simply remove that habit, although it could be a "rhythm' thing he'd have to get over.

Lanier, on the other hand, would be changing his motion to bring the release higher and that could throw his entire shot off. So I doubt they mess with that. Plus, his actual release is very quick, which compensates some for how low it is. If he had a high release like Knecht, but released as quick as he currently does, man...he could almost take that show at any time. Also....something to think about...it may also depend on NBA feedback with Lanier. If that release point is a big deal to NBA scouts, maybe he decides he wants help with it. And Barnes is the guy to do that.

That...does not make any sense.
I didn't think so either because I was looking at it from the bad luck perspective...which is where I live. You can also take a kick to the nads as a kind of just reward for a behavior. Almost like a penalty. When I viewed his post from that perspective, it made sense to my old and twisted mind.

The "issue" being fixed would be different for each.

For Lanier, he has a low release, so the "fix" would be to bring his release point up higher, making it less blockable and allowing him to take a shot with less space between him and his defender.
For Dubar, he has a hitch in his shot in which he brings it over from the left, which slows his shot down.

I suspect, as others have said, neither of these issues may be tinkered with because they're both seniors. BUT if one were to be tinkered with, I'd think Dubar's would be the easier fix. His actual release looks good. It would just be a matter of changing where he starts the ball before bringing it up into the shooting position. It wouldn't really affect his shot to simply remove that habit, although it could be a "rhythm' thing he'd have to get over.

Lanier, on the other hand, would be changing his motion to bring the release higher and that could throw his entire shot off. So I doubt they mess with that. Plus, his actual release is very quick, which compensates some for how low it is. If he had a high release like Knecht, but released as quick as he currently does, man...he could almost take that show at any time. Also....something to think about...it may also depend on NBA feedback with Lanier. If that release point is a big deal to NBA scouts, maybe he decides he wants help with it. And Barnes is the guy to do that.
For Lanier I have to ask, is he getting his shot blocked? He is unable to get his shot off? That seems like some big assumptions. I do understand what problem moving to a high release fixes. Not sure if he has those problems!

For Lanier I have to ask, is he getting his shot blocked? He is unable to get his shot off? That seems like some big assumptions. I do understand what problem moving to a high release fixes. Not sure if he has those problems!
Like I said, I doubt they would do anything to his shot at this point, but a low release may not always result in blocked shots. But they can result in shots not being taken because a player needs more room to get a shot off. Think of the shots DK was able to take last year without fear of getting them blocked because a) he gets good elevation on his shot and b) he has a high release (see his shots against Broome and Auburn).

So a higher release point means shots that otherwise might not be taken can be taken.

Reactions: Namorto1
Everyone who isn’t here is an upgrade over everyone who is here, every offseason, it’s a wonder we ever let anyone stay
There is good reason for that. Why would we be interested in players that aren't an upgrade? It's not like the bar is really high with JP or Cade

Like I said, I doubt they would do anything to his shot at this point, but a low release may not always result in blocked shots. But they can result in shots not being taken because a player needs more room to get a shot off. Think of the shots DK was able to take last year without fear of getting them blocked because a) he gets good elevation on his shot and b) he has a high release (see his shots against Broome and Auburn).

So a higher release point means shots that otherwise might not be taken can be taken.
You guys are discussing a false dichotomy. 100% of Barnes’ players “change their shot”. What they don’t do is coach them out of their existing mechanics by forcing new ones. Barnes and staff work on process drills that do not address mechanics. Instead, these process drills change mechanics by focusing on outcome. Releasing at the peak of the motion, high arc, and organic follow through are all achieved, but not by standing next to a player and adjusting stance, elbow, etc. Grant, Admiral and Bone all had big shot adjustments before their final year. Aidoo adjusted his shot to great effect. When he got tired, he reverted to the old stiff line drive. Awaka improved his release point and arc. ZZ has changed his shot. Even Dalton achieved a higher release and quicker shot. At any age beyond HS, they work on shots through process drills. As you’ve both noted, adjusting mechanics can ruin confidence and outcomes. Process drills get to better outcomes and better mechanics, but never get into that directly.

VN Store

Back