2024 Transfer Portal Thread

You guys are discussing a false dichotomy. 100% of Barnes’ players “change their shot”. What they don’t do is coach them out of their existing mechanics by forcing new ones. Barnes and staff work on process drills that do not address mechanics. Instead, these process drills change mechanics by focusing on outcome. Releasing at the peak of the motion, high arc, and organic follow through are all achieved, but not by standing next to a player and adjusting stance, elbow, etc. Grant, Admiral and Bone all had big shot adjustments before their final year. Aidoo adjusted his shot to great effect. When he got tired, he reverted to the old stiff line drive. Awaka improved his release point and arc. ZZ has changed his shot. Even Dalton achieved a higher release and quicker shot. At any age beyond HS, they work on shots through process drills. As you’ve both noted, adjusting mechanics can ruin confidence and outcomes. Process drills get to better outcomes and better mechanics, but never get into that directly.
Thank you for this. Great info. You earn every penny I pay you for the information you bring.

Tried to tell all you guys this guy isn’t an SEC caliber player.
Enjoy your victory lap, I guess, but you act like he transferred and had to settle for enrolling at ITT Technical Institute.

Utah State is a competitive program that just won the Mountain West Conference and finished in the top 25. They put 6 teams in the NCAAT and were the best conference outside of the P6.

Great Osobor is one of the top names in the transfer portal and played last season at Utah State.

And I predict Gabriel Mabor, if he were to come here, will beat out both of them for playing time.
If he comes, which is To Be Determined [I am hoping that we do get him!!!] ... I propose that JP and Cade will both get more mpg that GM ... this year!
You do realize that JP was a 4**** (94) Nationally - 59 and GM is 3*** (88) Nationally (148)! (Both rankings are ON3)
That is not a slight on my part to GM. But he weighs 215, that is just really light-weight! I would be more inclined to bet on a redshirt. jmho.
GM is a thin, lanky kid. Until he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the game ... he will be a foul magnet.
GM will need to add weight and muscle. He looks good on film because of his height and length.
When he moves up to college, Some of that advantage will disappear.

Reactions: vavolfan6
Tried to tell all you guys this guy isn’t an SEC caliber player.

I’m not sure this is the “own” you think it is. Utah State is a really good program. I’m not sure what his expected role will be there next year, but that is likely a Top 25 team again and one that will almost certainly make the NCAA tournament. Not every “SEC caliber player” is a star. Plenty of room for role players like Anderson which every team in every conference needs.

I think Gainey could average 12-15 per game as well but he would need 30+ minutes to do it. If we have both Zeigler and Lanier getting minimum 30 minutes per game in the backcourt, Gainey may earn the rest of those 20 minutes, so doubt he would get enough shots for 12-15. Last year he averaged 18.4 minutes per game and averaged 6.8 ppg. He definitely left alot of points off the board with a low FG % but he would have to improve his productivity by a significant amount. If he can give us 8-9 per game that would be great. If Lanier doesn't sign, then I'm right there with you as he would get alot of run.
All fair. He definitely needs big minutes to get 12+ average.

I predict you’ll be surprised by JP and Cade.
why would we be surprised? they should improve of course as 90 of players in Barnes tenure do.. the question is how much? I personally have no worries about them being good players under Barnes my worry is can they fit the specific roles we have a huge need for, the post.

why would we be surprised? they should improve of course as 90 of players in Barnes tenure do.. the question is how much? I personally have no worries about them being good players under Barnes my worry is can they fit the specific roles we have a huge need for, the post.
Who is we and why am I talking to them?

Kid played very little this year, came in stone cold and hit a huge 3 late in the first half against Creighton to help keep us close. It felt like they had the momentum and Carr helped slow it down.

That was huge. I forgot about Carr a little bit tbh and I think a lot have. I'm hopeful he can contribute big time next season.

You guys are discussing a false dichotomy. 100% of Barnes’ players “change their shot”. What they don’t do is coach them out of their existing mechanics by forcing new ones. Barnes and staff work on process drills that do not address mechanics. Instead, these process drills change mechanics by focusing on outcome. Releasing at the peak of the motion, high arc, and organic follow through are all achieved, but not by standing next to a player and adjusting stance, elbow, etc. Grant, Admiral and Bone all had big shot adjustments before their final year. Aidoo adjusted his shot to great effect. When he got tired, he reverted to the old stiff line drive. Awaka improved his release point and arc. ZZ has changed his shot. Even Dalton achieved a higher release and quicker shot. At any age beyond HS, they work on shots through process drills. As you’ve both noted, adjusting mechanics can ruin confidence and outcomes. Process drills get to better outcomes and better mechanics, but never get into that directly.
The only player I can remember Barnes making big changes to his shot is Kevin Punter. The result was impressive - All SEC and a long career playing professionally in Europe.

The only player I can remember Barnes making big changes to his shot is Kevin Punter. The result was impressive - All SEC and a long career playing professionally in Europe.
Kevin Punter's shot needed the biggest change compared to any other player's shot I've seen in the CRB era. His form was very unconventional.
I don't think there's a single player on our roster that has a unconventional form similar where KP's was that requires a big change.
1714678486539.png

VN Store

Back