Heupels "Micky Mouse offense:

VolForLife83

Some analysts, like NFL Draft analyst Josh Norris, have suggested that the Vols run a "mickey mouse offense".

Hester joined Saturday Down South's Connor O'Gara recently and he shared some thoughts on Tennessee's offense under Heupel.

The former LSU fullback, who spent five seasons in the NFL, doesn't agree with the idea that Heupel runs a "mickey mouse offense".

"That tells me that somebody didn't watch a lot of film if he calls that a mickey mouse offense," said Hester. "Let me tell you something, everything is available in a Josh Heupel offense. They will run gap scheme as much as anybody. They will run power, they'll run counter -- every run is up (available) in that Tennessee offense. It might be out of 11 personnel, but they will run anything and everything.

"It's not just an inside zone team. It's not an outside zone team -- which, if you live in that world, that's fine. You can do that...LSU was that last year. They had a quarterback that could pull it at any moment and go 80 yards. And so they were going to run inside zone, that's who they were. You barely saw any gap scheme from LSU....That's not Tennessee. Tennessee will run everything. Counter is going to be run in a Tennessee football game. So there's nothing Mickey Mouse about what Josh Heupel does in the run game."

Hester added that he would've loved playing in Heupel's offense.

Maybe I’m just behind on the times but who is Josh Norris?
THIS "HayHead Dweeb"

JOSH_NORRIS_RAIDERS_101019_1920x1080-1.jpg

Alot of "Analysts" dont understand what they are watching anymore. They listen to clowns tell them its a simple half field scheme that doesnt transition to the NFL. They have used this same nonsense in recruiting aswell. It is irritating, but the only fix is to get guys drafted and beat the brakes off people. Heupel doesnt lift in games with big leads. So hes got that part down. It will take more time to get more guys drafted for this rumor to fade unfortunately.

When Jaylen Wright was annouced as the Dolphins pick, the guys on NFL network did make it sound like playing in Heupel's offense was a negative. Nothing bad was said about Wright, but they made it sound like playing in that offense can skew his number's to look better than if he was playing in a more conventional offense.

When Jaylen Wright was annouced as the Dolphins pick, the guys on NFL network did make it sound like playing in Heupel's offense was a negative. Nothing bad was said about Wright, but they made it sound like playing in that offense can skew his number's to look better than if he was playing in a more conventional offense.
So the results are great but the scheme is Mickey Mouse and the players are less talented than they appear. Gotta love that conventional wisdom!

Some analysts, like NFL Draft analyst Josh Norris, have suggested that the Vols run a "mickey mouse offense".

Hester joined Saturday Down South's Connor O'Gara recently and he shared some thoughts on Tennessee's offense under Heupel.

The former LSU fullback, who spent five seasons in the NFL, doesn't agree with the idea that Heupel runs a "mickey mouse offense".

"That tells me that somebody didn't watch a lot of film if he calls that a mickey mouse offense," said Hester. "Let me tell you something, everything is available in a Josh Heupel offense. They will run gap scheme as much as anybody. They will run power, they'll run counter -- every run is up (available) in that Tennessee offense. It might be out of 11 personnel, but they will run anything and everything.

"It's not just an inside zone team. It's not an outside zone team -- which, if you live in that world, that's fine. You can do that...LSU was that last year. They had a quarterback that could pull it at any moment and go 80 yards. And so they were going to run inside zone, that's who they were. You barely saw any gap scheme from LSU....That's not Tennessee. Tennessee will run everything. Counter is going to be run in a Tennessee football game. So there's nothing Mickey Mouse about what Josh Heupel does in the run game."

Hester added that he would've loved playing in Heupel's offense.

I wish he’d focused more on JoshNorris. “That tells me somebody didn’t watch a lot of film” but add “which means, if you’re an NFL analyst, that you’re lazy and don’t do your job worth a shît.”

I mean they’re not wrong on skewing numbers. Wide splits are going to force DBs out further away from helping with the run. RBs are going to have better numbers and get less abuse. Traditional offense will make it much easier on the safety and corners to help in run support and beat the hell out of the running back. I guess if that’s a kids jam in recruiting.

Reactions: kcvols1
You can either play, or you can’t. The details are irrelevant.

These guys get paid to talk, so that’s what they do.

Reactions: LittleVol
So I guess that means somewhere there's a thread on a website for NFL Offensive Coordinators where they are all complaining about being attacked by NFL Network analysts for running such obsolete, player-inefficient, offenses.

I'm fine with that. In fact, I'd rather they keep dissing our offense so we don't have to face it anytime soon. But that will happen, soon enough.

Well, Mickey Mouse has a knack for achieving his goal 8 - 9 times out of 10. And he's quite entertaining when doing so. Least no cat has grabbed and devoured him in all the years he's been around. The gripe I got against ole Mickey is he dates Minnie Mouse who might his sister unless their last names happen to be an astonishing coincidence. Come to think of it, the same goes for ole Donald and Daisy hooking up. Meanwhile, hit it Mickey!

An offense's job on a running play is to open a hole for the RB to burst through. Heupel's offense seems to do that plenty of times. Maybe the other offenses are behind the times and being stifled by the lack of innovation.

Reactions: VolForLife83
I mean they’re not wrong on skewing numbers. Wide splits are going to force DBs out further away from helping with the run. RBs are going to have better numbers and get less abuse. Traditional offense will make it much easier on the safety and corners to help in run support and beat the hell out of the running back. I guess if that’s a kids jam in recruiting.
This exactly. Heupel’s offense allows RBs to gets more carries while maintaining tread on the tires. The reads are the same, but you’re not getting hit as much. People said the same stuff about Urban Meyer’s offense too. He won 3 titles running it and got TONS of kids drafted.

VN Store

Back