Heupels "Micky Mouse offense:

These same people fawn over Jeff Lebby and he was Heupel's OC. Not Mickey Mouse when he does it though
The same people fawn over Kiffin, and he specifically got Lebby to come to Ole Miss to run The Veer and shoot. Probably after Heupel dominated Kiffy at FAU. Do you think after Lebby left Kiffin stopped?? No. The Veer and shoot is very much a part of what Ole miss does. The system Heupel runs is gaining ground in college and even in the NFL, some teams have started running double stack wide splits although not very often. 3 teams in the SEC, off the top of my head, runs this offense. And it’s because of Heupel’s success this offense is getting any traction. Before Heupel it was just a Art Briles offense, and honestly I don’t think Kendal really ran it that much. Kendal always seemed more of a pistol guy, although I’ve never done a deep dive into his play calling

From a running game perspective idk why you wouldn’t love this offense. And from a quarterback perspective you actually do have to have anticipation. I know NFL scouts are mad that we don’t run timing routes, but we run a lot of choice routes and the difference between Milton and Hooker, was Hooker had almost a six sense on anticipating what route the receiver was gonna run. Milton didn’t anticipate and waited for the receiver to make the choice before delivering it. I know that’s a different type of anticipation than a timing route, but anticipation is anticipation. Another thing Hooker did well, that Joe didn’t, was looking off the safeties. My point is you can absolutely tell if a QB if a QB is great or not in this system. You just gotta not pre judge the system before hand and actually judge it fairly. Idk why Heupel gets the hate, when they’re drafting other players from other systems that are coping our system. Did any of the Oklahoma players have this level of criticism this year in the draft?? I didn’t watch the draft, but somehow I doubt they did

Reactions: SpookyAction
Look all I’m saying is I think it’s a Heupel/Tennessee thing at this point. It’s very obviously not scheme related because we would have to hear the same ish about Ole miss and Oklahoma players, and to my knowledge we don’t.

Or NFL scouts really suck at their job and I need to go join the business. This is almost as bad as everyone 2-3 years ago saying we ran an air raid offense. Just because we put up a lot of passing yards and Mike Leach happened to coach Heupel. There’s just so much intellectual laziness when it comes to the sports industry as a whole. And now film is readily available to everyone with internet access, so no one has an excuse to not know what they’re talking about…. if they actually want to know what they are talking about

Some analysts, like NFL Draft analyst Josh Norris, have suggested that the Vols run a "mickey mouse offense".

Hester joined Saturday Down South's Connor O'Gara recently and he shared some thoughts on Tennessee's offense under Heupel.

The former LSU fullback, who spent five seasons in the NFL, doesn't agree with the idea that Heupel runs a "mickey mouse offense".

"That tells me that somebody didn't watch a lot of film if he calls that a mickey mouse offense," said Hester. "Let me tell you something, everything is available in a Josh Heupel offense. They will run gap scheme as much as anybody. They will run power, they'll run counter -- every run is up (available) in that Tennessee offense. It might be out of 11 personnel, but they will run anything and everything.

"It's not just an inside zone team. It's not an outside zone team -- which, if you live in that world, that's fine. You can do that...LSU was that last year. They had a quarterback that could pull it at any moment and go 80 yards. And so they were going to run inside zone, that's who they were. You barely saw any gap scheme from LSU....That's not Tennessee. Tennessee will run everything. Counter is going to be run in a Tennessee football game. So there's nothing Mickey Mouse about what Josh Heupel does in the run game."

Hester added that he would've loved playing in Heupel's offense.

The premise of Heup's offense is simple and virtually unstoppable. Spread out the defense to easier to see and harder to disguise blitzes and eat up another defender with a qb that is a threat to run. It requires a lot of pre-snap reads. Milton struggled with that and it was the reason we went slower last season.

THIS "HayHead Dweeb"

JOSH_NORRIS_RAIDERS_101019_1920x1080-1.jpg
😂😂😂

As a very successful SEC Defensive Coordinator once told me...."football boils down to two elementary things - spacing and generating mismatches". If Josh can create those things with a Mickey Mouse offense....then count me in. BUT....his offense is anything but MM.

Some people say that just because of the pace, oh you run that fast pace offense so you are a gimmick. Hester is right pay attention to what you see and don't stereotype.

Most who say this never played a down of football past middle school.

I thought the mickey mouse thing is from his ucf Orlando thing, let's call it hickey mouse now loll

So if the TN offense is “Mickey Mouse” I’ll have to assume that certainly it shouldn’t be taken seriously,……… right?

That is what makes his comments ridiculous to me. Kirby absolutely takes it seriously, especially in 22 when the TN offense lead the nation. Particularly in that game, Kirby got a lead early and deliberately switched strategy in an effort to limit the possessions that TN would have. He knew that if you give an offense like that too many chances, they will eventually get you. Obviously the weather was on our side in the second half also.

Last edited:
When Jaylen Wright was annouced as the Dolphins pick, the guys on NFL network did make it sound like playing in Heupel's offense was a negative. Nothing bad was said about Wright, but they made it sound like playing in that offense can skew his number's to look better than if he was playing in a more conventional offense.
What they failed to account for is we use 3 RB's almost equally.

Reactions: ReelfootVol

VN Store

Back