Kim Caldwell comparisons to Heupel

Here is the thing. these comparisons to Heupel and American football are completely bogus.
Agree. There's some huge differences. I think no huddle football is great and I'm not sure why more don't do it. As long as you can get your plays and players in, why wouldn't you try to go before the other team subs in their highly specialized defenses?

But the big difference btw "the system" in basketball is that in basketball you need the other team to cooperate a little more for it to work. You need them not to be able to break your press, you need them to turn the ball over, and you need them to give up boards.

Which is why many of us have said it won't work when you can't control tempo, which you often won't against better teams.

Last edited:
Agree. There's a some huge differences. I think no huddle football is great and I'm not sure why more don't do it. As long as you can get your plays and players in, why wouldn't you try to go before the other team subs in their highly specialized defenses?

But the big difference btw "the system" in basketball is that in basketball you need the other team to cooperate a little more for it to work. You need them not to be able to break your press, you need them to turn the ball over, and you need them to give up boards.

Which is why many of us have said it won't work when you can't control tempo, which you often won't against better teams.
It has happened/ worked in the men’s game several time….. Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl( he played a 6’4” back up point guard at PF), Loyola Marymount…. The press doesn’t just cause turnovers…. It wears the other team out and gets them to take quicker shots than they are use too…. I look forward to watching it in action.

It has happened/ worked in the men’s game several time….. Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl( he played a 6’4” back up point guard at PF), Loyola Marymount…. The press doesn’t just cause turnovers…. It wears the other team out and gets them to take quicker shots than they are use too…. I look forward to watching it in action.
Yes, those same examples from across a few decades have been cited here several times. Never seen any from the women’s game though. We’ll see how it goes

Kapinus went to Vandy and we’re making bets on whether Tess or Edie will get the most playing time. This is why I get cranky.

Who is we?

You think that’s worse than worrying about a player that just committed to a team that Tennessee stomped a mud hole in this season 😂😂😂 where a player that was once sitting at the end of Tennessee’s bench is now a starter?

You specialize in taking any chance to crap on players of the same team you claim to support! I guess that makes you feel like somebody.

A L at its finest.

Reactions: MicCheck12
LV’s seem pretty solid in the guard spots now, no need to freak out over this one player glv,

Yeah we have several very good options at that position. She would have been a depth recruit. Her steals per game was the biggest appeal.

She’ll fill the role Trinity Oliver did for them last season.

Who is we?

You think that’s worse than worrying about a player that just committed to a team that Tennessee stomped a mud hole in this season 😂😂😂 where a player that was once sitting at the end of Tennessee’s bench is now a starter?

You specialize in taking any chance to crap on players of the same team you claim to support! I guess that makes you feel like somebody.

A L at its finest.
Man are we getting another commit 3 hrs ago you said we could have one at any moment

I’ve always said this season would be rough, no matter who was coach. I deluded myself the last two yrs bc at least we had a couple of elite players. Wasn’t enough.
It was more to the point of which sister plays most. That was our roster and talent gap with a good explanation to the issue.

I have to agree. Kim is going to have better shooters here she inherited on the roster than she had on Marshall. Some fans act like the cupboard was empty when Kim came in. We have some good players on the team.
Definitely have good players no doubt. Both old and new. Just a bit short on reliable outside shooters besides Jewel and Sara, the rest are on the potential list. I just think one more will divert some defensive pressure off Jewel. She’s going to get Rickea type defensive attention now.

Reactions: Lucy and VolFuture
I’ve always said this season would be rough, no matter who was coach. I deluded myself the last two yrs bc at least we had a couple of elite players. Wasn’t enough.
Put the phone/keyboard down. Usually I look forward to comments from certain ppl because they are objectively viewed. However, you on this topic are becoming exhausting and the team hasn't played one minute of importance yet. Eat a snicker or something and relax.

Agree. There's a some huge differences. I think no huddle football is great and I'm not sure why more don't do it. As long as you can get your plays and players in, why wouldn't you try to go before the other team subs in their highly specialized defenses?

I need to quit posting on this topic so last one.

In soccer, the most enduring tatical revolution has been "positionless" football. That term does not mean there are no positions but that players are not locked into one slot. The idea is to have adaptable players who can play multiple positions - so your midfielder might move up into the striker role, your center back fills the mid role and your otutside back comes over to cover that resulting defensive space The idea is to read situations and create momentary advantages. The whole scheme depends on players be good at different roles and everyone understanding how to shift to maintain the team shape. It takes skilled, smart, well coached, and disciplined players to implement. Just about every upper tier team wants to do it but only a relatively small number can do it.

Positionless basketball is reshaping basketball and CKC is a building a roster that can implement that approach. Having 5 players on the floor who can dribble and create makes for some interesting match-up problems (plus function as interchangeable defenders).

The potential of these portal signings, and the potential of some key returning players, to run that kind of positionless system is the intriguing prospect, much more so than "the fast pace, take a lot of shots scheme" which has been the main topic of discussion.

Last edited:
Put the phone/keyboard down. Usually I look forward to comments from certain ppl because they are objectively viewed. However, you on this topic are becoming exhausting and the team hasn't played one minute of importance yet. Eat a snicker or something and relax.

Trying to control the narrative by going to the extreme.
Certain fanatics since Day 1 have tried to discredit Coach Caldwell and Danny White.
And the more success CKC and Danny have.. the more progress that is made some of these folks behind a keyboard are losing their minds.
It’s simply not a good look.
I actually think it has gotten too far out of hand for some people to continue to keep this up.
They definitely need to take a step back.

Definitely have good players no doubt. Both old and new. Just a bit short on reliable outside shooters besides Jewel and Sara, the rest are on the potential list. I just think one more will divert some defensive pressure off Jewel. She’s going to get Rickea type defensive attention now.
The biggest question with players currently on the team is how well will they respond to new coaching? None of us know that. For all we know, this new staff could help them improve greatly, or it could go the opposite direction. We'll have to wait and see what Coach Kim can get out of the players she has.

Tess will play a bunch this season, I have no feel for Edie’s ability, doubt anyone does yet. I think some will be surprised how useful Tess is in this new program.
I’m 50/50 on Tess. In one way she could be used as a closer of quarters and get up 3s… or more likely she will be playing a PF and in the corner. I don’t see her in extended minutes and that’s fine bc of CKCs philosophy.

Im not sold on her guard ability esp on D and it seems CKC is very defensive and athlete minded. Can Tess find a role? Yes. Will she buy into it? Idk? Can u change a 5th year?

I’m 50/50 on Tess. In one way she could be used as a closer of quarters and get up 3s… or more likely she will be playing a PF and in the corner. I don’t see her in extended minutes and that’s fine bc of CKCs philosophy.

Im not sold on her guard ability esp on D and it seems CKC is very defensive and athlete minded. Can Tess find a role? Yes. Will she buy into it? Idk? Can u change a 5th year?

Tess minutes will really be determined by how she’s shooting. I imagine she’ll enter most every game. If she hits her first one or two shots she’ll get a few more minutes that game. If she isn’t hot right off we will go with someone better defensively.

VN Store

Back