Kim Caldwell comparisons to Heupel

Trying to control the narrative by going to the extreme.
Certain fanatics since Day 1 have tried to discredit Coach Caldwell and Danny White.
And the more success CKC and Danny have.. the more progress that is made some of these folks behind a keyboard are losing their minds.
It’s simply not a good look.
I actually think it has gotten too far out of hand for some people to continue to keep this up.
They definitely need to take a step back.
Hardly know how to address this but honestly most folks on here find you are too far out of hand. GLV has been a true blue LV fan for forever on here and I, just personally, don’t appreciate your hectoring of him. Having questions about how the new system will work or hoping that we get a little more diversity by position on the roster is in no way seeking to discredit our new coach. It actually is a much more rational outlook than your over the top everything is better than perfect. I love optimism and like your enthusiasm but we have a lot of great long time fans who are a bit more in the wait and see camp. Why sour them on the new coach by requiring some sort of purity test?

Hardly know how to address this but honestly most folks on here find you are too far out of hand. GLV has been a true blue LV fan for forever on here and I, just personally, don’t appreciate your hectoring of him. Having questions about how the new system will work or hoping that we get a little more diversity by position on the roster is in no way seeking to discredit our new coach. It actually is a much more rational outlook than your over the top everything is better than perfect. I love optimism and like your enthusiasm but we have a lot of great long time fans who are a bit more in the wait and see camp. Why sour them on the new coach by requiring some sort of purity test?
You do not seem to me to be in the wait and see camp......wish you were ......

100% agree!

Talking about stars, class rank, position rank etc. is fine and dandy and you do need some thoroughbreds.
But it isn’t just having the “best” players on the court, it is about having the “right” players on the court.

Let’s hope Kim can get the right players for her system. So far I think she has done fairly well (by that I mean making NCAA tourney and maybe sweet 16 with a couple breaks) but won’t really know until after about 10 games next fall.

Thanks Lucy, you're sweet. But I know I'm a boring broken record on all this, and the general mood is rolling in the pixie dust right now, so that's against the tide. Reality isn't an option folks enjoy entertaining at this point.

Hopefully things will continue to sort themselves out this week and we still have more portal hope as long as Ruby, King, and any tall young post are out there. I just hope if they don't come here they don't go elsewhere in the dang SEC.

Last edited:
recruiting so far looks a lot like CKH. wish I had some of what people are smoking. I expect the LVs will be near/at the bottom of the conference for the next few years.

Reactions: brittannica
recruiting so far looks a lot like CKH. wish I had some of what people are smoking. I expect the LVs will be near/at the bottom of the conference for the next few years.
Lol explain, please. Caldwell hasn't even been here a month yet. How are you judging her recruiting high school prospects yet? She NEEDS to be hitting the portal hard to field a competitive team for next season and has done just that.

Please explain. Because all I'm seeing right now is someone complaining just to complain.

Lol explain, please. Caldwell hasn't even been here a month yet. How are you judging her recruiting high school prospects yet? She NEEDS to be hitting the portal hard to field a competitive team for next season and has done just that.

Please explain. Because all I'm seeing right now is someone complaining just to complain.
what you see is someone who calls it as they see it. I wasn't a fan of CKH either, and said similar things about her when she was hired, and said those things until she was fired. with regard to what I mean, Caldwell gets a few decent 4star rated players and some believe the program has suddenly been resuscitated. CKH got a few 4star rated players to commit to the LVs and some raved about it. The outcome will be the same...not enough to make the LVs a contender in either the SEC or on the national stage - PERIOD!!! and NOPE, I'm not buying "oh she's been here for a month." the result will be the same after months, years even...no name recognition, no results where the top players will say this is a program that I want to be a part of. what's so compelling about Caldwell that she'll start appealing to top high school recruits? NOTHING! not personal, just my non-apologetic take on things. I can respect your right to have your opinion, but really don't care much about it. 😁

Reactions: ReignSupreme
what you see is someone who calls it as they see it. I wasn't a fan of CKH either, and said similar things about her when she was hired, and said those things until she was fired. with regard to what I mean, Caldwell gets a few decent 4star rated players and some believe the program has suddenly been resuscitated. CKH got a few 4star rated players to commit to the LVs and some raved about it. The outcome will be the same...not enough to make the LVs a contender in either the SEC or on the national stage - PERIOD!!! and NOPE, I'm not buying "oh she's been here for a month." the result will be the same after months, years even...no name recognition, no results where the top players will say this is a program that I want to be a part of. what's so compelling about Caldwell that she'll start appealing to top high school recruits? NOTHING! not personal, just my non-apologetic take on things. I can respect your right to have your opinion, but really don't care much about it. 😁
If the LV teams have been this pathetic why do you pretend follow them? If I saw them the way you do I would have been following SC a long time ago. Maybe you like trolling for effect.

I’m taking their word, what about you?

Talk about a huge overreaction

I mean you can believe whatever you want but that doesn't alter reality.

Rick Barnes didn't pull a 5* at UT until 2020 with Springer and Johnson, and that was AFTER he had proven himself as a HOF coach with a FF and recruiting the likes of KD. He had to get the Vols up off the canvas and make them relevant again. (In 2019, JJJ was a 5 but dropped to a 4).

Now he's pulled five 5*s and we are landing top transfers every season. And Barnes owns 7 of the Top 10 all time HS recruits and 13 of Top 20. And of all those recruits, 2019 was the first in the current Top 20 (JJJ). He's been here since 2015...

But sure, yeah, because CKC hasn't pulled a 5-star high schooler after a month in a class where not a single 5-star is uncommitted/unsigned (nevermind that she managed to get a Top 100 player) she's going to utterly flop on the recruiting trial and no too player would ever want to play for her. And she will never improve her recruiting. And the team will never compete for a championship with her as coach...

You know, because she couldn't do an impossible task.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, and everyone else is entitled to think it's a bad one. If you, Nostradamus, want to believe she's going to fail then feel free to stop following.

I mean you can believe whatever you want but that doesn't alter reality.

Rick Barnes didn't pull a 5* at UT until 2020 with Springer and Johnson, and that was AFTER he had proven himself as a HOF coach with a FF and recruiting the likes of KD. He had to get the Vols up off the canvas and make them relevant again. (In 2019, JJJ was a 5 but dropped to a 4).

Now he's pulled five 5*s and we are landing top transfers every season. And Barnes owns 7 of the Top 10 all time HS recruits and 13 of Top 20. And of all those recruits, 2019 was the first in the current Top 20 (JJJ). He's been here since 2015...

But sure, yeah, because CKC hasn't pulled a 5-star high schooler after a month in a class where not a single 5-star is uncommitted/unsigned (nevermind that she managed to get a Top 100 player) she's going to utterly flop on the recruiting trial and no too player would ever want to play for her. And she will never improve her recruiting. And the team will never compete for a championship with her as coach...

You know, because she couldn't do an impossible task.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, and everyone else is entitled to think it's a bad one. If you, Nostradamus, want to believe she's going to fail then feel free to stop following.
this thing went on and on as if Rick Barnes actually won something. well da&% excuse me for thinking a championship is the goal. if I'd realized it was just merely making it to the tournament, I would be as ecstatic as others.

funny thing is Kellie Harper won the MVC Championship and she's snatched up. Caldwell wins the SBC Championship now she's snatched up. Harper brought in a few 4star recruits like Destiny Salary, Sara Puckett, Karoline Striplin, Kaiya Wynn, Justine Pissott (5 start) and a handful of transfers. Caldwell's recruiting seems to be going very similarly. Somehow this is going to translate into a championship - nope, but it looks like the goal is just making the tournament. ok

Now I see we are comparing to Rick Barnes - there is no comparison. Barnes was a seasoned D1 men's basketball coach. CKC is not. That is not meant as anything but a statement of fact and why you should not compare the two.

And the history associated with the Lady Vols is much different. We are one of the teams that put women's basketball on the map when NO ONE CARED about women's basketball.

The expectations are for a national championship. The last two coaches are no longer here because they could not deliver that.

The truth is, we have a coach that has never coached at the level she will be coaching at. It may work out, it may not. There is a long line of coaches in all sports that were incredibly successful at the D2 and non-power 5 levels who failed at the D1 level. And there is a very small set of coaches that were able to move to the D1 level and be as successful as the Lady Vols fans expect.

I do know that missing the NCAA tournament and suffering blow out losses will not be acceptable to most Lady Vols fans. CKC needs to avoid both.

Now I see we are comparing to Rick Barnes - there is no comparison. Barnes was a seasoned D1 men's basketball coach. CKC is not. That is not meant as anything but a statement of fact and why you should not compare the two.

And the history associated with the Lady Vols is much different. We are one of the teams that put women's basketball on the map when NO ONE CARED about women's basketball.

The expectations are for a national championship. The last two coaches are no longer here because they could not deliver that.

The truth is, we have a coach that has never coached at the level she will be coaching at. It may work out, it may not. There is a long line of coaches in all sports that were incredibly successful at the D2 and non-power 5 levels who failed at the D1 level. And there is a very small set of coaches that were able to move to the D1 level and be as successful as the Lady Vols fans expect.

I do know that missing the NCAA tournament and suffering blow out losses will not be acceptable to most Lady Vols fans. CKC needs to avoid both.
A review of CDS’s career path would be valuable here.

Reactions: krichunaka
funny thing is Kellie Harper won the MVC Championship and she's snatched up. Caldwell wins the SBC Championship now she's snatched up. Harper brought in a few 4star recruits like Destiny Salary, Sara Puckett, Karoline Striplin, Kaiya Wynn, Justine Pissott (5 start) and a handful of transfers. Caldwell's recruiting seems to be going very similarly. Somehow this is going to translate into a championship - nope, but it looks like the goal is just making the tournament. ok
You are getting some grief but the facts you state are mostly correct but there are some differences that you are ignoring. CKC's 4 star transfers are a much athletic and defensive oriented group than KJH's. Everybody assumed that Wynn would be a lockdown defender but she has not been t this point.

The optimism is that CKC's style of play will utilize these players more effectively and lead to a higher level of success.

Last edited:

There was no comparison to Rick Barnes. Rick Barnes's recruiting trajectory was used as an example to prove that just because 5-stars aren't getting nabbed right out of the gate doesn't mean they'll never jump in the boat.

I can't believe that had to be explained.

Reactions: Orange.
1. Kellie didn’t win the MVC….. She won the MVC tournament…. Kellie has never finished 1st in the MVC and only finished 1st in a conference one year and that was at Western Carolina.
2. CKC has won her conference every year of coaching except the covid year.
3. Kellie took over a similar roster to CKC at Marshall. Kellie won 14 games while CKC had the greatest season ever at Marshall.
4. CKH struggled really bad in a power 5 job at NC State… CKC is now getting her chance.
5. Danny White has an excellent track record of hiring coaches… Danny Hurley…. Nate Oats… Josh Heupel….Scott Frost….more relevant is his women’s basketball coaches…. the two he hired were the most successful at their schools and have now moved on to bigger jobs…. Felicia Legette Jack and Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. The only coach that I could find that he missed on was the women’s softball coach at Buffalo… That is an amazing track record
6 We have seen similar transitions in style work wonders at Tennessee… When Bruce Pearl was hired… we had 2 borderline 4 star players… a 3*, a walk on, and a 3* back up point guard at power forward… He went on to win the SEC East that season.

Sit back and enjoy the ride…. Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:
If you believe this to be true, and it isn’t, why are you here? Just to gripe?

VN Store

Back