Samara Spencer to Tennessee!

Spencer is a better shooter than last year's stats say she is. She played over 37 minutes per game vs SEC. No one can shoot well when they are completely gassed. Plus, after Scott was out, Spencer was the defense's primary focus and she was still the go to at the end of the shot clock.

If she buys in, I think she's perfect for our 3s and layups offense. And there was never any doubt about her defense.

This is so much better than trying to retread a player from Pine Bluff.
I wouldn't knock Zaay Green. She's the real deal regardless of where she's played. Most any team in the country would take a Zaay Green. I also wouldn't compare Zaay and Samara, very different guards. Just my opinion.

Do some of you guys think CKC is so dumb that she won't have an offensive or defensive plan in the half court game? That literally makes no sense.

Reactions: dazzleme
Exactly. Which is why it's so important to have a plan B for when you don't.

This appears to be a "burn the ships" situation, at least for this one year. No plan B. It will work, or it won't.

We'll press for 40 minutes, fast break, 3s and layups, offense never stops moving, and take a good shot in the first 15 seconds.

Like you I worry about poor shooting. Personally, I kind of feel like when we hired Josh Heupel. This may or may not work, but it'll definitely be interesting.

Very much. Been going to games for 25 yrs w daughters and now granddaughters. It's an important family tradition. I think CKC is very smart and capable. But I'm just not sold on this magical "system" and I want a versatile roster with a few players who can shoot. That's all.
Super reasonable take! Hopeful and looking forward to watching next year for some reason doesn’t count as being positive enough?!?
Truth is no one on here knows how CKC’s system will work but I think we’re all hoping for a lot of success for her and the team! Can’t wait!!

I wouldn't knock Zaay Green. She's the real deal regardless of where she's played. Most any team in the country would take a Zaay Green. I also wouldn't compare Zaay and Samara, very different guards. Just my opinion.

Disagree, but again, like you said these are just our opinions.

Reactions: Knoxvol14
Well here I am again, the MARSHALL Alumnus. I continue to be intrigued by those who are debating whether Coach Caldwell will actually apply her brand of basketball for the Lady Vols. Fear not, my friends. She will do it much more than any of you can imagine. All she has needed is the players who can implement it. She is going to press the hell out of her opponents. And if her players can hit their threes, she will win championships. As I said before elsewhere, her teams will get turnovers, steals, and more offensive rebounds than you can imagine. If a player misses a shot or two, Caldwell will insist that she keep shooting. Caldwell really does not care whether her players hit or miss, she will stay with them throughout the game. And she will substitute between 9, 10, or 12 players each game. But above all, she will insist that they are relentless in playing defense. She requires speed, quickness, determination in rebounding, and three point shooting ability. And if other teams attempt to guard the three-point line, she will have her players drive the ball into the lane for layups as plan B. And trust me, those lane shots will be WIDE OPEN. There is a lot more to be said about KIM CALDWELL, but the one thing you will never have to worry about is the opposition. Once she gets her players she and them, will fear no one.

Very much. Been going to games for 25 yrs w daughters and now granddaughters. It's an important family tradition. I think CKC is very smart and capable. But I'm just not sold on this magical "system" and I want a versatile roster with a few players who can shoot. That's all.
Her past success gives me high hopes. The biggest thing I take away from her system is that they will play really aggressive the entire game. Hopefully there's enough depth and a good offseason conditioning program so they can hold up for an entire game. Every time I have seen a new coach come in that could get players to give 100% effort and they let their players loose to attack and not play conservative, it has resulted in an improvement over the previous season. Getting to an elite level and staying there will involve more than that...but having a style of play and a renewed commitment will be a great first step. I think it will also be a fun style of play that attracts elite players.

Yeah she can light it up, three level scorer and sees the floor well. I’m very excited to see her on Rocky Top next season.

The way she gets to the rim reminds me of Moriah Jefferson, very quick first step.
I was trying to think of a player comp for Spencer and YES! Her game is so similar to Mo Jeff!

She is a great pickup, will definitely be a huge addition to the team. Nailing down a true PG was important, maybe the most needed piece tbh. This team is starting to go deep. I agree with a few others that another wing with size would be nice and maybe a post type, but there will be lots of times this team runs with 3-4 guards anyway I would bet.

Last edited:
this could the coach pulling her too quickly
If the coach has a quick trigger on misses,,,shooters go in with an "I better not miss" mindset instead of a shooter's mentality.."The next one's going in"

You see how the non-reluctance works by seeing Tess' overall stats
Mick Neighbors pulling a player too quickly for shooting volume is highly unlikely. His offense centers on volume shooting and 3 point shooting. It is more likely she moved up on The scouting report, people became aware of what she did, and game plans were devised to defend her as a first or second option or she stop putting in the work needed to maintain her shooting percentages. Hopefully it's the before rather than the after.

LOL you snarky? Actually it seems the 'system' plans for not making alot of shots, thus the all out press for extra possesions. Which is why I said this system seems to outsmart itself; why go to all that trouble when you could simply take and make good shots?

I think this moves Wynn (and Strickland) down the bench bc it probably takes Cooper/Boyd out of the pg spot and firmly in the 2/3 spot where Kaiya's mins would be.

As far as Tess, there will be situations for her, not sure how many. I think Sara's the one that gets the sniper mins, along w Jewel.
If Wynn and Strickland make the top ten their minutes from last season will increase, likely dramatically, based upon your coaches past methods. I think both of those players, due to their athleticism, will be in that top ten.

The success of this type of offense will be determined by which team playing dictates the matchups/pace...simple as that
It was sarcasm. Should’ve used the blue font. :rolleyes:GLV is stuck in their belief it will fail and i find it humorous.

SEC is going to be a Battle Royale. SC TX Lsu TN KY Oklahoma Ole Miss. 7 top 25 teams. Fun Fun let's Roll Lady Vols and welcome Ms Spencer be the lead guard we need. In CHRIST Alone
I had originally put out a “way too early SEC order” for next season a few weeks ago that looked something like this:
SC
TX
LSU
OK
OM
Bama
UT/Aub/KY
the rest

I would be more inclined today to do it this way:
SC
TX
LSU
OK
UT
OM
Bama/Aub/Ky
the rest…

Im starting to believe UT will be better than OM and the others below OM now. They could overtake OK, we need to see how the rest of the portal season shakes out. Would not surprise me if UT, which has 3 more spots to offer lands one or two other good ones that fit their style. There is momentum, it’s possible. Either way, it is going to be a helluva lot of fun watching this new coach and her system in year one. At the very least, I expect to see a team from UT that nobody looks fwd to playing, the games will be 40 minutes of intense effort and not every team is ready for that nightly.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back